Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 24th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to dolfn55
Default Recommended amount????

When I was on Princess Cruise Lines in February, I was charge a daily amount of $10 per person per stateroom. Is that the recommended tip?
[/img]
Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, $10 per person, per day, is pretty much standard on most cruise lines.........it is divided among the housekeeping and wait staff.
Old March 28th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to dolfn55
Default So....Additional tipping is normal?

What is appropriate over and above the $10 per day and who would recieve the tips? Cabin Steward? Waiter/Waitress?
Old March 29th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Dolf,
Sometimes your waiter, asst. waiter or cabin attandant will go out of their way for something, if thats the case, a little extra may be given and appreciated. Otherwise, just follow the $10 per day, per person and that should be fine.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 25th, 2006, 01:07 AM
Passenger

ok...Im sure this has been brought up and I just didnt get to it in the millions of q&a's out there....

I know on Carnival we get a $10 per day per person tip charge..even for my little ones which is fine...but if we give extra at the end, what should that be? I usually pick up after my family before we go out the door and we dont usually spend time in a room but in the dining room on every cruise we always have a WONDERFUL staff...what is the customary amount that we should leave...and if we give it to our head waitor will he divvy it up with the rest of the staff or do we do it individually???? I just dont know and I certainly dont want to offend them by not leaving enough...we usually give them $20 each (to each of our wait staff)...but I have read people giving them $100 or so at the end...am I cheap? I try not to be but I just dont know...If I had a dinner bill then I would give the 20-25 % but for the cruise....I cant calculate! thanks for your help!!!
Old April 25th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

The $10.00 per person per day is designed to take care of all the people you are expected to tip, except room service. The bars add their own automatic 15% gratuity. Anything you choose to give over and above that amount is purely up to you. It is not necessary, but if you feel that you want to give a little more the staff will be grateful. Some people tip the Maitre D', some don't. We always tip $1-2 for room service, depending on whether we are getting a meal or just coffee. We mostly just order coffee every morning, so just tip $1.00. I don't think of myself as a cheap person, but I do not tip over and above the $10.00 per day that is recommended. If someone were to really go out of their way and do something extra for me, or if I was traveling with a lot of small children and felt that that made a lot of extra work for the staff, then I would probably tip a little more.
Old April 27th, 2006, 01:31 AM
Passenger

thanks for your input. I know when we cruised last time we had two little ones who wanted steak for dinner..and our head waitor helped them cut their food and butter their bread and anything else they asked for...I did not have time to put my fork down and she would just say...mommy will eat a hot meal...and do whatever my boys had asked me to do...it was so nice...couldn't remember when I had a hot meal before that....or since for that matter....I think when the staff goes out of their way like she did they deserve more than that....anyway thanks again...now I don't feel like I am cheating anyone out of anything!
Old January 26th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Passenger

I'm having trouble following this tipping issue. Who collects the $10 per day and am I to just assume that it gets split up to those deserving? In the dining room, how is that tipping handled? It appears that once you tip the housekeeping and dining staff, etc. that you're talking about $30-50 per day. Is this correct? That seems high to me and I'm usually a pretty good tipper.
Old January 26th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Admiral

The total tip is $10 per day per passenger plus their automatic 15% on drinks and the dollar or two for room service. Thus, if two persons are on a cruise for seven days, the total charge for tips minus bar service and room service would be $140.

You need not give extra unless you feel that the service provided is excellent and warrents something additional.
Old January 26th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Passenger

Paul, Who would this tip be handed over to? Is this a lump sum thing we can do at the start of the trip or are you just estimating that over the course of the trip, this would be my estimated tip? I'd rather just be able to hand someone a sum of ,pmey to cover the cruise than deal with it every day. Thanks!
Old January 26th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Admiral

Hi Rick,
No, you don't pay them daily, just on the last eveing onboard, if not doing automatic tipping, you'll find the envelopes in your cabin to fill and pass out that evening. You'd just leave the one for your cabin attandant in your cabin when you go to dinner, he'll/she'll find it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 26th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Passenger

Donna, When will we be given the option of automatic tipping and do most cruisers use it and supplement it if service is extra special?
Old January 27th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Admiral

Hi Rick,
What ship are you on?? Some cruiselines do it automatically and will just put the $10 on your sign and sail card. You can always check at the pursers desk and verify.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 27th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Passenger

Century...although I'm talking NEXT January .
Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:53 PM
Beginner

Default Tipping

Accoring to the RCCL website this is the recommended tipping amounts.

Suite attendant: $5.75 USD a day per guest
Stateroom attendant: $3.50 USD a day per guest
Dining Room Waiter: $3.50 USD a day per guest
Assistant Waiter: $2.00 USD a day per guest
Headwaiter: $.75 USD a day per guest

This is $15.50 a day per person. Where does everyone get the $10 a day?. There will be 3 of us. 2 adult and a 9 y/o. I don't want to come accross as being cheap. HELP!!!
Old July 3rd, 2007, 04:11 PM
Captain

Default Re: Tipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by djw1967
Accoring to the RCCL website this is the recommended tipping amounts.

Suite attendant: $5.75 USD a day per guest
Stateroom attendant: $3.50 USD a day per guest
Dining Room Waiter: $3.50 USD a day per guest
Assistant Waiter: $2.00 USD a day per guest
Headwaiter: $.75 USD a day per guest

This is $15.50 a day per person. Where does everyone get the $10 a day?. There will be 3 of us. 2 adult and a 9 y/o. I don't want to come accross as being cheap. HELP!!!
Most cruiselines charge a flat rate $10. pp p/d
I think the figures you quoted ...maybe the suite attendant is only if you have a suite for the rest of the cabins it is the stateroom attendant rate