Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 4th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Tipping Individually

On recent cruises we have asked to be removed from the automatic tipping and tipped each person who served us, individually. Can these people keep these tips or do they have to; tu;rn them in to be pooled, thereby negating what we are trying to do?
Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to kitty2

they have to turn them into the pool.
However you can tip extra to them and I think they can keep that portion.
Old April 5th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Passenger

Kitty2 - How does that work then?

If they have to turn in what you gave them (say you gave $200) and then they can keep what extra you gave them (say $100). You could reverse this and give $100 as the 'main' tip and their personal top up of $200.

It could be argued that the larger amount has to be given as the main tip. People could still get around this by giving $100 as the main tip followed by three seperate tips of $99 to the person on threee occasions. Or people could just add it up to $300 and give $149 to the person and $151 as the main tip.

Personally, I think what you as a passenger choose to give as a personal tip should remain as such.
Old April 5th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

I suspect that if the rate was $4. pd ..pp for the waiter on a 10 day it would be $40. so if you gave him $100. he would turn in the $40. and keep the rest.

Just my guess though ...you might ask on the crew forum how it works
You could just leave the auto tip on your SS card then tip what ever you want to a specific person then he keeps it.
I am not sure how it works out but I have heard if they don't turn over the tips they can be dismissed.
Old April 5th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Admiral

The tips are divided to make sure everyone gets the "basic" tip (the $10.00 per day/per person). Anything over the "basic" tip must be reported (as kitty2 said, they can be fired for not turning in the extra cash), but if everyone has tipped the "basic" tip, the staff get to keep the extra tip amount.

We always leave the $10.00 per day/per person on our account, then tip extra to staff who go "above and beyond". We just find it easier !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old May 30th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Passenger

Fern, is this true on all cruise lines? We recently cruised on HAL, first time since they changed their tipping policy (which I personally did not like). We left the tip charge on the shipboard account but our cabin steward was so good we HAD to give him a generous extra tip. Did he not get to keep that? We also (and I know this is crazy) tipped our favorite photographer. She was so nice to us and went out of her way to get really good shots. Of course we bought a lot of photos but her attitude was so gracious, we just had to express our thanks in a tangible manner. Did she also have to turn in her tip? We also tipped both times we ate in the Pinnacle grill and every time we had room service. Did we go overboard and was it all for naught? I guess I enjoy the old fashioned way of personally letting someone know I appreciate their kindness. I won't take the scheduled tip off the bill but it really seems more like a service charge as we end up tippping for good service anyway. Just my opinion.
Old May 30th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandma_kr
Fern, is this true on all cruise lines? We recently cruised on HAL, first time since they changed their tipping policy (which I personally did not like). We left the tip charge on the shipboard account but our cabin steward was so good we HAD to give him a generous extra tip. Did he not get to keep that?
If you left the auto tip in place then any extra you gave they get to keep it. I don't think the photographer has to report tips.
The specialty dining room fee usually includes the tip so they should keep the extra.
always check with the Purser onboard if you are in doubt.
Each cruiseline is different
Old May 30th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Passenger

This may be a dumb question but...How would a cabin steward (or other employee) know if the passenger had or had not left the auto tip charge on their account? The question stems from the policy of turning in tips if the passenger has removed the automatic tip charge from their shipboard account. I guess it doesn't matter a whole lot, I am just curious. We tipped our cabin steward once in the middle of the cruise and more at the end of the cruise so just wondered how he would know if he had to report the tip or if he got to keep it.
Old May 30th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandma_kr
This may be a dumb question but...How would a cabin steward (or other employee) know if the passenger had or had not left the auto tip charge on their account? The question stems from the policy of turning in tips if the passenger has removed the automatic tip charge from their shipboard account. I guess it doesn't matter a whole lot, I am just curious. We tipped our cabin steward once in the middle of the cruise and more at the end of the cruise so just wondered how he would know if he had to report the tip or if he got to keep it.
My understanding is that they get a list of those that remove the auto-tip so then they know if you tip extra or just the recommended amount.