CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Tipping (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/tipping/)
-   -   I tried something new.... (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/tipping/315289-i-tried-something-new.html)

popsec June 8th, 2006 08:52 AM

I tried something new....

My Mom and I just got back from 7 nights on the Zenith to Bermuda. The first morning I was out on the back deck (grill area) and the water/soda fellow came around pushing his drink cart. I had an insulated cup in front of me. Anyway, he tried to sell me a bottle of water. I explained that it was water I had in my cup and I could get all the water and ice I wanted for free inside. We bantered back and forth about his bottled water being better than the free water. Every time I passed him after that he'd ask me if I was ready for some "good" water. The next day he came over again while I was sitting on the back deck. I asked him what his tip was on one of the big bottles of water. He replied that it was about $1. So......I told him that I was going to buy a big bottle of water from him and write in a $5 tip, which would cover what he'd make if I bought a bottle a day from him for the rest of the trip. So then he'd be able to just smile and wave when he saw me. He was surprised by my suggestion but every time I saw him after that he'd grin and wave. For me it was a fun way to handle my guilt over never buying from the soda person and for him it was a little less work to get that tip.

lougee1043 June 14th, 2006 07:11 PM

Re: I tried something new....

Quote:

Originally Posted by popsec
So......I told him that I was going to buy a big bottle of water from him and write in a $5 tip, which would cover what he'd make if I bought a bottle a day from him for the rest of the trip. So then he'd be able to just smile and wave when he saw me. He was surprised by my suggestion but every time I saw him after that he'd grin and wave. For me it was a fun way to handle my guilt over never buying from the soda person and for him it was a little less work to get that tip.

interesting resolution to the situation --having said that i will now say that you should never feel guilty over saying no to something a steward offered you for purchase on a cruise --- a no thank you and a smile is all that is required from you

popsec June 14th, 2006 07:27 PM

Re: I tried something new....

[/quote]
interesting resolution to the situation --having said that i will now say that you should never feel guilty over saying no to something a steward offered you for purchase on a cruise --- a no thank you and a smile is all that is required from you[/quote]

I have no problem saying no to all the booze pushers but this seller was just working so hard to get just one sale. It was a fun way to resolve it and I think he enjoyed our compromise if the big grin and wave every time I saw him was anything to go by. :wink:

criscomia June 15th, 2006 10:18 AM

popsec........very good idea, and a nice thing to do :D

nomad June 15th, 2006 01:58 PM

how was the trip?

Ive never saild on Celebrity before. Ive heard several differnt things about the Zenith. Give me the scoop.....was it a good time? NIce ship? I hear the crew is terrific. THANKS! Christopher

criscomia June 15th, 2006 02:10 PM

Christopher........I was on the Summit and it was a nice ship.....very big. Went for 10 days to the Southern Caribbean. The crew was very nice and they had this CD that was hysterical. I'm trying to remember his name, but it's not coming to me. He did this thing with Old McDonald Had A Farm, with people from the audience. I was on the floor laughing.

popsec June 15th, 2006 04:48 PM

Re: how was the trip?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomad
Ive never saild on Celebrity before. Ive heard several differnt things about the Zenith. Give me the scoop.....was it a good time? NIce ship? I hear the crew is terrific. THANKS! Christopher

I really love the Zenith...the crew are exceptional! Food is great and I enjoyed the entertainment. Because it's a smaller ship, it's easier to get to know your fellow cruisers.

beth6966 June 19th, 2006 06:15 PM

That was a wonderful thing you did and I'm sure he really appreciated it!

I had a friend who worked on a cruise ship in college and lets just say he didn't make millions, was always sending every dime to his family in Sryia and when he came back to school at UF he slept and rested for weeks!!!

So I'm sure he was plenty grateful for the gesture. :D

Beth

popsec June 19th, 2006 11:06 PM

They DO work so hard and most of them are sending money back home plus alot of them have to be seperated from wives, husbands, children....I'm sure it's not an easy life for them!