Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 20th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Beginner

Default Tipping Maitre d' for Private Table

I just booked my first cruise on Carnival Liberty, and was told by my Carnival agent that the best way to get a table for two for the duration of the 8-day cruise was to go straight to the maitre d' when we get on board, make the request, and "grease the wheels." Yes, I know that meeting other people is a lot of the fun of a cruise, but I have my reasons for wanting a table just for us. Given that it is a longer cruise, and it will require some effort on his part to tie up a private table for the whole cruise, how much "grease" do you think it should take? I have no qualms tipping because I am asking for something that could require a deal of effort on his/her part, and I don't mind tipping well, but I also don't want to tip an absurd amount, either. Thx.
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Yeoman

imo 10 bucks should cover it

Old August 31st, 2006, 11:29 PM
Admiral

No, no, no, you don't have to tip the Maitre d'. Just make sure you go see him as soon as you board the ship to make your request. He will gladly accommodate you, if possible, and you don't have to grease his palm.
Old September 1st, 2006, 08:55 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I would give him some kind of tip during or at the end of the cruise if he is able to fill your request with the table for two. Although it doesn't hurt to do it up front if he's willing to help you.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 1st, 2006, 11:01 AM
Passenger

I did this once. I wanted a table for two and was on a 7 day cruise. I think it was a Holland America cruise. Here is what I did. As soon as I got on board I went to the dining room and offered the maitre d' a twenty dollar bill. He refused it and told me that it wasn't necessary serving my desires was his job.

I took the table and then tipped him at the end of the cruise.

BTW, we hated the table for 2. Decide we would never do that again.

Don
Old February 24th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetattoo
No, no, no, you don't have to tip the Maitre d'. Just make sure you go see him as soon as you board the ship to make your request. He will gladly accommodate you, if possible, and you don't have to grease his palm.
Personally, unless I asked him for something wayyyyy over the top ... I never tip a Maitre d' a cent ... especially on a ship. He is management and makes a nice salary. Therefore, if I make a reasonable request ... a table for two (and I booked early enough that I should be able to receive it), or a change of table because I have a compatibility problem with my tablemates ... I feel it is the JOB of the Maitre 'd to accommodate my request. I am a paying guest ... paying handsomely to be on that cruise ship. Part of what I pay goes into his paycheck, and therefore he should only be too happy to accommodate my reasonable requests.

Now, of course, if I ask for something special ... something that it is not his job to do for me, but he does it anyway ... then, yes, I would grease his palm in appreciation. But otherwise, he gets zilch from me. I'd rather save that ten spot for the waiter who takes good care of me, and runs himself ragged in the process. And, if the Maitre 'd is decent ... as a member of management ... he would rather me use my tip money in that manner as well.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old June 2nd, 2007, 07:34 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Tipping Maitre d' for Private Table

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcruiser
I just booked my first cruise on Carnival Liberty, and was told by my Carnival agent that the best way to get a table for two for the duration of the 8-day cruise was to go straight to the maitre d' when we get on board, make the request, and "grease the wheels."
To me, getting a table for two is not an unusual request. If the cruise line is run properly, tipping the matri 'd shouldn't matter in the slightest. You will get that table if it is possible; i.e., passengers who are staying in accommodations that give them first preference have not taken all the tables for two, etc. If it is possible for the matri 'd to just jump someone over others who are technically entitled to that table for two, then the cruise line is not being run properly and the matri 'd is not properly doing his job.

To me, the matri 'd is a management employee. He is paid a very nice wage for doing his job. Because of the amount of his wage, he is not entitled to be included in any "tip" pool. Thus, I can't imagine anything I would grease the palm of the matri 'd for. If he gets me a table for two, then he is doing it because I, as a passenger, politely made such a request, and it is his job to honor that request if at all possible. He shouldn't have a hand out for doing his job.

Personally, I'd rather save my discretionary tip money for the people in the trenches ... the people who do the day-to-day "grunt" work of serving me ... working long hours with little time off ... and always having a smile on their face. Those folks are the ones who make squat in terms of a salary. They NEED those tips ... and if they take good care of me on the cruise, I am only too happy to send a little extra cash their way. But I'm not doing that for a management employee who enjoys an excellent wage and pretty decent living conditions onboard the boat. He's already getting everything he has coming to him.

Just my humble opinion ...

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old January 10th, 2008, 04:03 PM
First Mate

Default Tipping

I think a tip is in order for taking care of you but don't tip until you see the table location. Last August on the Liberty we asked for a table for two and what we got was the worst table in the dining room. It turned out to be a table for 4 (for just the two of us) at the back of the dining room right next to a serving station.

We went back, picked another Maitre ' D and he set us up perfectly. So tip only after you are satisfied.

Tulum Mexico Resort Reviews

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Carnival Fantasy 14
Constellation 14
Old June 12th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
I would give him some kind of tip during or at the end of the cruise if he is able to fill your request with the table for two. Although it doesn't hurt to do it up front if he's willing to help you.
What a nice thing to say. Yes I say, tip the maitre'd if you want to.
When the family and I go on a cruise, we normally have a table for five. Nanny joins us for most meals. I meet the Maitre'D upon boarding the ship, and we have lovely conversations. Memories of past cruise, memories of past passengers, and all that. nanny is a vegetarian, and the maitre D always looks after her requests. I always tip the head Waiter and the maitre D'. It does bring results. Tipping and being nice is always good. I remember on one particular cruise, nanny and the head Waiter really enjoyed each others company, and even had Lunch in port together one afternnoon. I was really happy for nanny. It was great that she met a new friend.
Old June 12th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Admiral

Just be aware that he may not be able to get you a table for two. There aren't that many of them. And, I agree to tip after, not before. Extra money will not make that table appear if it isn't available. Hope it all works out well for you.
Marty
Old June 12th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Extra money will not make that table appear if it isn't available.Marty
Money does make the table appear.
Always