Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 30th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Beginner

Default Never Tipping

Hi, Im new here, great to be a part of this forum.

Am i the only person that never tips on cruises? I thought after a recent trip I was considered the odd one out on our voyage, I chose not to tip, as I consider it insulting, to the employee in question. Like taking scraps from a table.

Anyone else feel the same?

Would love to get to know you guys here better!
Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Passenger

I always tip the full amount suggested. I work in the service industry, and tips are a big part for most peoples salary. The cruise line payes them very little, I have heard $50 a week. They work very hard, very long hours. Its insulting to them not to tip them for their hard work in my opinion. Now if you had bad service, thats different.
Old August 30th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Never Tipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunkycruiser

Am i the only person that never tips on cruises? I thought after a recent trip I was considered the odd one out on our voyage, I chose not to tip, as I consider it insulting, to the employee in question. Like taking scraps from a table.

Hunkycruiser,

Did you pay them instead? Tipping or not tipping is your decision. But, very few cruise lines have a no tipping allowed policy. Most cruise lines even add the tip directly to your onboard account. Most also suggest the amount to tip. Have you ever wonder why they do that? In a fine dining establishment in my area they add as much as 18% to the bill as a tip you have a party larger than 8 people. Ever wonder why? Unless you tip the person, who helpeed make you vacation so nice, got paid less than minimum wage.

Your tip to the staff is what kept your cruise fare as low as it was. If the line hadn't expected you to tip and they had to pay the staff for all the service they provided you your cruise would of been more probably at least $70.00 per person for a seven day cruise.

AGAIN YOU DO AS YOU WISH BUT I AT LEASTED WANTED TO BRING IT TO YOUR ATTENTION A TIP IS ALMOST EXPECTED.

Wix filter once advertised "Pay me now or Pay me later". I beleive if many cruiser follow your example of not tipping the crusielines will have to pay the staff and pass it on to the passengers in ther form of a higher fare. One way or another the staff will get paid.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Don
Old August 31st, 2006, 02:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
While I have heard of people who do not show up for dinner the last night in the dining room because they intend to stiff the waitstaff, I have never personally known such a person. Tipping is expected on cruiseships - you are even told what the suggested MINIMUM tip should be and given envelopes. With very few exceptions, I have found the service aboard ships to be over and above expectations and have tipped more.

I'm not sure where you are from, but do know that tipping is not common in European nations (which is why often cruises in that area tack on tips to the cruise fares). Even there, most restaurants will add a "service charge" onto the checks.

Let me ask you, when you go to a restaurant or hair salon or ride in a taxi, do you not tip so as not to "insult the employee in question?" How does the employee who has not been insulted in this way react? Do you ever go back????

Welcome to the boards.
Old September 1st, 2006, 08:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I think you are one of the few who choose not to tip, I think most of us gladly tip the staff that help make our cruise so enjoyable. Its spelled out in all the cruise brochures and is a cost of cruising. I think you should of at least tipped the minimal amount, those staff members rely on tips, its a major part of their income and they earn it 10 times over.

I hope the next time you cruise you re-consider and tip the recommended amount.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 1st, 2006, 09:07 AM
Admiral

Quote:

Your post is very sad. Trust me they would rather be insulted than poor.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old September 4th, 2006, 01:17 AM
Beginner

Staff count on tips , how can you be so cheap!
Old September 4th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogabrit
Staff count on tips , how can you be so cheap!
I think calling the OP cheap is a little too extreme. From his post I just think he didn't know what a tip on the ship was or why a tip is necessary.

Don
Old September 4th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Yeoman

the op is a flamer and is trying to incite ---if you check out his only other post you will see what i mean

Old September 6th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Beginner

Default tipping

It happened so many times to me...the whole cruise they are like best friends to me...we talk, we lough... they are usually full of requests wich I am allways trying to take care of it...I do my best to make their cabin look nice..they promise me: we will take extra good care of you at the end of the cruise...and then last morning they sneek out from the cabin they don't even bother to say good bye. It happenes every cruise few cabins don't pay...and we know..because we get informations wich cabin payed and wich not...and they come to us last night hugging and kissing and telling us how we did an excellent job, they ask us if we will be around next morning because they want to say good bye and to thank us and then next morning they run away.What do you think how I feel then?They look me in my eyes and I know they are lying, they tell me "I tipped you good on my card, and I know they didn't, but I have to be polite and say thank you. I start to ask myself what I did wrong to those people...

I can give you plenty, plenty examples when guests don't pay...this is what happened to me once...luckily only once...it was spring brake...in my section I had 20 cabins with teenagers...oh..that was a hard cruise...I must tell you to clean those cabins it takes so much time, you can imagine how messy they can be...sometimes I come in the cabin and I found vomit all over from alcohol, usually they order room service and they having food fight with that food, and the worst thing is that they sleep untill noon, untill they leave the cabin I am usually allmost done with my duty so I don't have so much time to spend in those cabins..I have 10 cabins to make in 1 hour and at 1 o'clock I have to return my keys an beeper in the office...oh boy..how many times I was late..
but what I wanted to say is that parents of those kids are usually in suite cabins, the whole cruise they never come to their kids room, they never meet me as they see only their cabin steward and at the end of the cruise they will not pay for the kids. They only pay to their cabin steward on their deck as he/she is the one they saw all the time...and believe me it is so much easier to clean parents room...it is not so messy..
As I was saying from 20 cabins with teenage guests nobody ever payed me...that cruise I was working for free...
But on the other side there are allways nice people who tip us some extra so we don't loose much...I guess those people who don't tip they think company pays us, but on my last company I've got payed 70$ per month.+ I have to pay for my flight tickets, uniforms, my assistant and some other things.
I know lots of guests asking me how many cabins I have. when I say 28 then they start to count 28 x2(usually 2 persons per cabin) x 3.5$ per
person per day then I allways get same respond: O you are making more money than I do...
But not all people know that from 28 cabins I can be lucky if 20 pay me at the end...not to forget that half of that money goes to my assistants...at the end that is not that much for that hard work.
Try to imagine work for 6 months without a day off, embarkation day we start at 6, sometimes even earlier and we finish that day at 10 in the night.
But on the other side the money is better from what I could make in my country...how else I would get to travel around...and how else I would get a chance to meet all of you nice people who understand our hard work and who tipp us at the end of the cruise.
I don't want you think I am only complaining about the job...if I don't like it I wouldn't be doing it 4 years allready...it is just that I want you to see how is to be from the other side...I hope you will realize what your tip means to us...thank you!
Old September 7th, 2006, 09:57 AM
First Mate

Beautifully put Crewmember. Thank you for your post.

April 1, 2006 - Serenade of the Seas - 7 days to the Southern Caribbean

October 8, 1984 - NCL Sunward II - 3 day cruise to the Bahamas
Old September 13th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Passenger

Ref. Crewmember's post.

In a land based hotel, if anybody (regardless of age) messed up a room with (for example) vomit repeatedly, the hotel would be fully within its rights to levy a charge for cleaning. I would welcome cruise lines doing the same. There is no excuse for that sort of behaviour and if cruise lines choose not to pursue the matter, are they not prostituting themselves?

'We don't want to offend guests' is hardly a valid reason to allow guests to abuse facilities.
Old September 13th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Passenger

Simple , YES , you tip. As a matter of fact for the service you often reciece you should over tip. Anything less is cheap..

no insult intended...mpk
Old September 15th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to DustyCruzer

Not tipping is cold and heartless! Those people work harder than any of us for next to nothing. The need the tips. Next time try telling your room attendant and waiter that you won't be tipping them at the end of your cruise and see how they react.
Old November 5th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

This is something that I'm very much on the fence about it.

It's wrong for the staff not to be paid for their services.

It's wrong for the businesses to give someone a bill with the wrong amount ( ie give a bill, and expect the customer to pay 15-20% extra ).

It's wrong for the businesses not to pay their staff a fair salary for the work they do, but that should not be used an excuse to try and guilt-trip customers into tipping. It should be used to guilt-trip businesses into properly paying their staff. Anything the customer chooses to pay then of their own free will, should then be an extra.
Old November 5th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion

It's wrong for the businesses to give someone a bill with the wrong amount ( ie give a bill, and expect the customer to pay 15-20% extra ).

It's wrong for the businesses not to pay their staff a fair salary for the work they do, but that should not be used an excuse to try and guilt-trip customers into tipping. It should be used to guilt-trip businesses into properly paying their staff. Anything the customer chooses to pay then of their own free will, should then be an extra.
I agree. Lets begin caling the tip by its real name; a service charge. Then if I want to tip for good service I can. But I don't like it when someone tells me a person doesn't get paid unless I tip. If I am responsible for seeing that a person get paid then apply a service charge to my account. Then the person gets paid and I can tip for good service if I wish.

Just my 2 cents.

Don.
Old November 6th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Good point Revdon... if they are not getting paid unless we "tip" then it isn't a tip at all, it is a service charge.

As for Hunkycruiser, I wonder what part of the world he lives in where accepting tips is like taking scraps off the table. Tipping is universal and not considered to be lowly in any sense in any society that I know of.

Waitresses actually wait on tables, and while they don't take the scraps, they do take the tips.
Old November 7th, 2006, 06:13 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
Tipping is universal and not considered to be lowly in any sense in any society that I know of.
True. To a point.

In some European countries, tipping more than some change can be considered an insult. Eg. Germany. If you had a meal in a restaurant and the bill came to Euros 120 and you left Euros 18 (15%), that would be considered too much. You could leave a maximum of Euros 10 to avoid it being insulting.

However, suppose you had a drink in a bar/restaurant and the bill came to Euros 4.90. If you left the 10 cents - that would be an insult. You either leave nothing or (in this case) the 10 cents and a 50 cents.

Source. I'm British and went out to dinner with some German people (in Germany) who were *horrified* when I left a 17% tip. They said that I'd be considered totally rude.
Old November 7th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Meercat

Interesting - thank you for the insight.

ps. Love your TV show, how's Flower?
Old February 21st, 2007, 09:00 PM
Passenger

Quote:

We tip. The staff makes pretty much no money from the cruiseline and the majority of their income is from tips.

That said, I do not feel I should have to tip if the service is crappy or I do not use a particular service. On my last cruise, we never used the dining room. Never. We alwways did the buffet and tipped the waiter who brought us drinks and things like that. Since we did not use the dining room, we didn't see the necessity to tip the dining room staff.

We tip the staff that takes care of us and feel that by not tipping those we don't use, we can tip the ones we do use better.

Old February 24th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Admiral

I am one of those people who think that tipping has gotten way out of hand in our society today. Everyone, from the clerk who pours my coffee in the Dunkin Donuts, to the newstand guy who sells me my daily pack of cigarettes, has a hand out ... or at least a tip cup. I put nothing in those cups and simply smile and say "thank you" in appreciation for good service.

On a ship, it's the same way. The only problem there is that the cruise lines have tailored the service people's wages to assume they will get tips. Hence, if you don't tip them, they really suffer. Their base wages are next to nothing. So, if the service is good, I tip the auto-tip. If the service is excellent, I might hand them some cash at the end of the cruise as well. If the service stinks (thank God that's never happened yet), I wouldn't hesitate to remove the daily auto-tip.

I don't know what the solution to this problem is. Sure, we can decide not to tip on a cruise ... because tipping is offensive to some of us ... but then we are punishing people who truly give us great service all week ... and depend on our tips to support their families.

I too would love to be able to tip individually ... give the people who took care of me well some extra money, and the heck with those I never saw. Unfortunately, though, at least on Holland America, if you go to the front desk and have the auto-tip deleted in favor of tipping individually, the people whom you tip (your cabin steward or waiter) will only have to turn in the cash you gave them to the tip pool. So, you're accomplishing nothing.

Believe me, tipping may be offensive to some, but what's the alternative from the cruise line's perspective? They will just factor in the appropriate daily tip amount to your base cruise fare, and you'll probably wind up paying more. It's not like the cruise lines are going to raise the service people's wages so you don't have to tip them. No mass market line is gonna do that.

So, I will continue letting the auto-tip ride when I take a cruise, and tip a bit extra when someone really wows me.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old February 24th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meig

On my last cruise, we never used the dining room. Never. We alwways did the buffet and tipped the waiter who brought us drinks and things like that. Since we did not use the dining room, we didn't see the necessity to tip the dining room staff.
The auto tip is for ALLl wait staff not just the dining room waiters.
Do you tip the guys that clear your table in the buffet and clean it for you to sit at etc....

IMHO
For $10.pd pp it also cover the room stewards which I think is a pretty good deal.
You need to look at the big picture.
If you do not want to tip people that you don't see then you should write to the cruiselines to change the system of tipping.

With freestyle dining and 24 hr buffets it is hard to tip all the people that work hard to make your cruise enjoyable. A lot of people just stiff the staff at the end of the cruise.
The cruiselines have tried to make it fair on everyone you serves you.

I think they should just included the tips in the cruisefare & I have put that on my comment cards over the years.
Old February 25th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion

Ahmen!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revdonauctioneer
I agree. Lets begin caling the tip by its real name; a service charge. Then if I want to tip for good service I can. But I don't like it when someone tells me a person doesn't get paid unless I tip. If I am responsible for seeing that a person get paid then apply a service charge to my account. Then the person gets paid and I can tip for good service if I wish.

Just my 2 cents.

Don.
In the beginning cruise lines paid all employees a fair wage and suggested tips were quite low and used to show appreciation for service above and beyond what was expected. Cruising became popular and costs began to rise for the lines. The idea folks at the cruise lines decided the easiest thing to cut was wages. As the service staff wages were cut there was a parallel increase in suggested tipping to make up for it. There are some that caught on to this scam and decided not to tip more and in some cases tip less or not at all. This caused the staff to complain and we all know the solution was Auto-tip.

Eventually what we will see is the addition of a "service charge" to the price of your cruise and the lowering of the suggested tip. The cruise line number crunchers want to avoid this as much as possible because people will see it as a huge price increase.

Lets assume tomorrow prices for cruise line A goes up an additional 10% because they have done what I describe above. Further assume they don't tell you why and you do not know what I outlined above. What will your tipping policy be? Will you cruise less?
Old February 25th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssantow
Lets assume tomorrow prices for cruise line A goes up an additional 10% because they have done what I describe above. Further assume they don't tell you why and you do not know what I outlined above. What will your tipping policy be? Will you cruise less?
No, I wouldn't. I'd assume it was fuel costs or some such.

Also, my opinion is that the cruiselines are making *way* too much money to expect us to supplement their employees' wages. If the lines were struggling, I could understand this tack. But the profits are so enormous that they can afford to pay their CEOs and shareholders a little less and pay their employees more. God forbid a cruise line CEO only takes home $2M a year instead of $6M. I don't know how they would possibly make it on that.

Old February 26th, 2007, 04:53 PM
First Mate

Somehow, I think if you don't tip, the CEO's won't be affected much; but the families of the servers back home might.

April 1, 2006 - Serenade of the Seas - 7 days to the Southern Caribbean

October 8, 1984 - NCL Sunward II - 3 day cruise to the Bahamas
Old February 26th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm2005
Somehow, I think if you don't tip, the CEO's won't be affected much; but the families of the servers back home might.
That was not my point. I wasn't telling people not to tip. What I was trying to convey is that I feel it's incredibly unreasonable for a company that is showing profits like the cruiselines to expect their customers to be *directly* responsible and having guilt trips if they don't tip because a staff person's family might not eat that month.

Of course the customer is the one who indirectly pays the salaries by paying the fares, but why should we have to think about the economics of what the employees are getting while we are trying to enjoy ourselves? We paid our fares, we paid for a product and we expect to get it. We should not have to deal with the emotional issues of whether or not the staff is getting paid enough. We didn't pay for that. The CEO is getting the big bucks to deal with those issues. Let him take a pay cut so that his employees can make more money. We've done our part when we paid for our fares.

Of course, if only it was that easy. It's not. The CEO won't take a pay cut, and we are not all ruthless bastards who don't care about their fellow man, so we tip to make sure the staff gets enough money to send home to their families.

I just don't like how it takes all meaning out of giving a gratuity. Tipping shouldn't have to be a required part of a vacation. It should be something you feel like giving to someone because you feel they went above and beyond for you.

Old February 26th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Admiral

I'm a tipping fool.

I follow the rule that I'm tipping for the next drink.

Add a couple bucks to the ticket and slip 'em some bills...then LOOK OUT.
Old February 28th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meig
Also, my opinion is that the cruiselines are making *way* too much money to expect us to supplement their employees' wages.
I agree wholeheartedly. But, what's the option for us? Refuse to tip the service people? If we do that, what do we accomplish? We merely punish those hardworking people trying to eak out a living so that they can send some money home to their families. We haven't "punished" the cruise line at all. They got their money upfront when we booked the cruise. Their CEO's and stockholders aren't gonna suffer one iota if we refuse to tip.

I'm in a quandry about this issue myself. As I said before, I think the whole concept of tipping has become outrageous in our society. Everyone and his mother, brother and cousin expects a tip. I go to the newstand to buy a paper and a pack of cigarettes. The guy hands me my paper and cigarettes and tells me what I owe. He then collects my money and gives me change. And how convenient! He has a tip cup right there in case I don't wanna carry that change around in my pocket. No thanks. I pocket it. He owns that newsstand. He's making enough money ... probably more than me!

So, all I can do is selectively tip. I won't tip in a take-out joint at all. I only tip when I sit down to enjoy a meal that's served to me. I won't tip a Dunkin Donuts or at the newsstand or at any store where a clerk merely waits on me ... doing a job they are paid to do.

But when I cruise or dine in a restaurant where I am served, I will tip ... not necessarily because I feel I should, but because I feel that if I don't these people aren't gonna make even a base wage. Our society has set up this system ... by allowing companies to pay their people a wage that requires them to depend on tips. Only legislation will change this. Refusing to tip won't.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Admiral

"So, all I can do is selectively tip. I won't tip in a take-out joint at all. I only tip when I sit down to enjoy a meal that's served to me. I won't tip a Dunkin Donuts or at the newsstand or at any store where a clerk merely waits on me ... doing a job they are paid to do"

Gotta agree with ya there.
I get insulted when there is a tip jar at the counter of Taco Time or some such place.
Goes back to the feeling of "entitlement" our kids have.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 07:11 AM
Passenger

Which raises the interesting question of why do we tip cab drivers? And hairdressers? Custom? Surely not because they're perceived to be on low wages?

Onboard Salons...... beauty treatments incur a 15% 'gratuity'.

And if we do not tip in take out restaurants - then why on a ship do we have to tip 15% when we go to a bar and collect the drink to take to (say) our sunbed? The onboard shops staffed by a cashier do not charge 15% 'service charge' when you buy a polo shirt.

But then, why do they even bother to add 15% onto a bar tab - why not just make the price of the drink 15% higher and then not add a 'gratuity'.

And why pay 15% on an expensive brandy which takes 1 minute to serve and costs you much, and also 15% on a freshly brewed pot of tea which takes the server five minutes to prepare at minimal price?

I end up in the ridiculous position of adding $5 to a bar bill of $2 for a pot of tea...... and feel outraged at 'giving' the bar man $4.50 for measuring out a measure of brandy (in about 20 seconds) costing $30.00.