Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 27th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Beginner

Default Turn off the tips?

Call me old-fashioned...and I'm only 21, so not really...but I prefer to look someone in the eye, thank them personally for a job well done, and give them the gratuity I think they deserve. Also, I believe if someone knows they have a tip coming automatically, they may not perform as they would otherwise.

So my question is: What about turning the prepaid tips off? I know you can do it at the info desk or concierge. I'd much rather hand my waiter a 5 or 10 each night and see the appreciative smile. However, if you go and turn the tips off for a particular service or person, does a cruise line use this against their employees? (I.E. If management saw a waiters/room stewards "automatic" tips were decreased, or turned off, do they use this in rating or evaluating the employees?)

Wade
Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to kitty2
Default Re: Turn off the tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by armybravo
So my question is: What about turning the prepaid tips off? I know you can do it at the info desk or concierge. I'd much rather hand my waiter a 5 or 10 each night and see the appreciative smile. However, if you go and turn the tips off for a particular service or person, does a cruise line use this against their employees? (I.E. If management saw a waiters/room stewards "automatic" tips were decreased, or turned off, do they use this in rating or evaluating the employees?)

Wade
If you turn off the tips and tip each waiter daily it would cost a LOT more than the daily rate of auto tips.
Also check if that cruiseline has "pooled tips" then the waiter must turn in any cash you give them to the pool to be shared.
You could leave the auto tip on and just tip a bit extra.