CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Tipping (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/tipping/)
-   -   NCL Mandatory Tips (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/tipping/333878-ncl-mandatory-tips.html)

Brian566 May 28th, 2007 06:20 AM

NCL Mandatory Tips

We are due to go to Alaska next week on the Norwegian Sun

While I am not happy about tipping in General as I think it encourages low wages
I realise it is more prevalent in the USA

But I fell that the prepaid 10$ tip per person is a bit of a cheek as you don't know what service you get

Can I reduce this and the Give Money to the people I am happy with the service they provide

Paul B May 28th, 2007 12:54 PM

If NCL is like most of the other lines, if you have the automatic tips removed, the steward and waiters will have to turn in any money you give directly to the common pool. If you use the automatic tips, they can keep any extra money you give them.

I have been on 22 cruises on various lines and have always had great service. I consider the $10 a day a fantastic bargain and usually give a bit extra.

It is my understanding that the stewards and waiters receive only $50 per month from the cruise line and work primarily for tips. People who refuse to tip do nothing to change the mode of operation of the cruise lines. Rather, they only hurt the hard working (70 hours or more a week) people who serve them.

I would not hesitate to call anyone who refuses to tip a cheapskate.

Brian566 May 28th, 2007 06:42 PM

NCL

Thanks for prompt reply Paul B

My intention was not fail to tip but to have the option

to reduce the prepaid section and give more to the people who gave good service

As I was concerned about some of the reports about poor service on some NCL ships

On reading more it seem to be in ok on the Vancouver ships

lulu48 May 28th, 2007 08:09 PM

It will not matter if you tip the person directly or leave the auto tip on your account...all monies go to the "POOL" then divied up from there.
You can of course tip extra and the waiters will get to keep the money but that is only if the auto tip is left on.

I found most cruiselines with the auto tip policy I still had good service....there is always a chance the passenger will remove the tips so the staff still work hard to please you.

kryos June 18th, 2007 01:54 AM

I've never sailed NCL, so I could be wrong ... but doesn't that particular cruise line classify the auto-tip as a "hotel service charge? ... the amount being non-removable?

Most other lines simply classify the $10 per day as an auto-tip, adjustable by the guest. But I was under the impression that NCL was different.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Blue skies ...

--rita

earl September 19th, 2007 06:01 PM

Kyros is right , it is not call a tip its a service charge. you have no choice