Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 12th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Admiral

Default In addition to the Auto Tip, I have a question

What is a generous, decent, very good amount to tip your room steward?

At the end of a 7 day cruise, is $20 or $30 enough to show your appreciation? (Provided, of course, that you have left the auto-tip on your sail and sign card stand.)

Just curious.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Yeoman

If you have auto tipped, then you have no obligation to further tip. But handing your cabin steward another $20 bucks over and above is a personal thank you, and I feel a nice to do.

Your a nice person if you think that
Old June 17th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Admiral

If the Room Steward has fulfilled all their obligations as far as cleaning your stateroom, etc., you are under no obligation to leave an extra tip. However, if they have extended themselves to provide you with services above and beyond their required duties, then $20 is a generous thank you. On my last cruise, my Room Steward never replenished the toilet paper, ice, soap, didn't make up our room until after Noon, never addressed our plumbing problems with Maintenance, etc., one of the worst Room Stewards I've had. On our last night, she approached me and asked if I would please leave her something extra. My roommate felt guilty and left her something extra but I did not. The Room Steward's lackluster performance did not deserve an extra tip.
Old June 18th, 2007, 02:50 AM
Admiral

Default Re: In addition to the Auto Tip, I have a question

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
What is a generous, decent, very good amount to tip your room steward?

At the end of a 7 day cruise, is $20 or $30 enough to show your appreciation? (Provided, of course, that you have left the auto-tip on your sail and sign card stand.)

Just curious.
Depends on how pleased you are with his service.

If he was attentive and made your cruise extra special, then for a seven-day cruise, I would imagine about $30 is more than generous, assuming of course that you left the auto-tip in place as well. On a recent 18-day cruise onboard the Veendam, we had an absolutely wonderful room steward for whom no request was too much trouble. We gave him 50 euros at the end of the cruise, in addition to the auto-tip. 50 euros translates to about $75 to $80 U.S. dollars. This was a repositioning cruise to Europe, so we figured euros would be the appropriate currency to tip in.

But, on the other hand, I've been on some cruises where the auto-tip was all the room steward got. He did his job, but didn't do anything beyond it. So, we didn't do anything beyond the auto-tip. Had he not done his job, believe me, we wouldn't have hesitated to remove his auto-tip as well.

Always tip according to your conscious, and ... of course ... what you can afford.

Blue skies ...

--rita