Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 7th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Passenger

Default Tipping?

Ok I have read all these posts. Help me clairfy, please! I am going on Enchantment next week it will be my hubby me and our 6 kids all teens in two rooms. Do I understand it sounds like $10 a day per person for each room and $10 a day per person for the dining staff?? Also what is the Auto tipping and how do we turn it off I dont want to be suprised with any extra bills but I do want to make sure we have enough money brought along to allow for appropriate tipping. Thank-You for any advice I am so unwrapped it will be nice once we are all packed and on the ship!! What all is extra on the ship as far as drinks and meals (besides alcohol I get that one)...

Carnival Ecstasy August '91
RCI Enchantment July '07

Caribbean Trip Reviews
Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

The tipping is $10 per day per person travelling. 8 of you would be $80 per day..... and that includes tipping everyone on the ship who serves you, aside from bar service.

This may sound like alot because there are 8 of you, but especially with 4 in a cabin, and lots of teens, the staff you are tipping will likely earn every penny of it

You can remove the automatic tipping by going to the Guest Relations desk, and asking them to be removed.

As far as extra costs onboard.. aside from drinks, there's shore excursions (if you do any), shopping, souvenirs, gambling, purchasing photos if you choose. So, there's no extra charges unless you chose to avail yourself of services or goods that cost extra.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 8th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Passenger

Default tipping

Thank-You. So, If we leave the auto-tip on how does that work? Are we then charged $10 per day per person for our cabin attendants and our waitstaff? Sounds like auto-tip is nice then we dont have to worry about it and its all taken care of? How many people will be serving our table in the dining room?

Carnival Ecstasy August '91
RCI Enchantment July '07

Caribbean Trip Reviews
Old July 8th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You will have an asst. waiter and a regular waiter, both will work very hard to make your meals there in the dining room enjoyable. You'll most likely get a visit from the head waiter to make sure things are to your liking.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 25th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Passenger

I always take the auto-tip off immediately. Dont burden yourself with a surpirses charge. Its also better to give those who serve you the money personally. But follow the guidelines and if the server has made your experience better, why not extend the gratuity.
Old September 11th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Captain

The auto-tipping is super easy. I'm not sure why there would be a chance for an overcharge anymore than anything else you charge for while on board.

It saves you from having to have just the right denominations of bills for every person tipped. Handing cash to them means no more to them than handing them the voucher. Of course, a little cash along with the voucher DOES mean something to them
Old August 18th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Admiral

Default Thank you notes

My sis and I love the idea of pre paid gratuities.... but we are also going to bring a few thank you cards. This way it makes it a little more personal.
I read that suggestion somewhere on cruisemates... 8)
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old August 19th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Admiral

Just to clarify, when they say per person, it means per passenger, not for everyone who provides service.
Marty
Old August 24th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

The suggested $10 per day is divided between 4 different service providers: Cabin steward, waiter, assistant waiter and head waiter. The breakdown for each is usually provided to you. These crew members work very hard to ensure that you have a pleasant stay. They work 6 month contracts with no days off and the average workday is 10 to 12 hours. They make no salary from the ship in most cases and rely only on tips. It was thought that with mandatory tipping, service would decline as workers no longer would feel they have to go out of their way to ensure a tip. While this may be true in some cases, I still feel that these crew members still strive to please their guests. if it results in an extra tip, they are grateful. Prior to mandatory tipping, crew members often got stiffed especially on the shorter weekend cruises. Tipping is part of the American culture and it is not going away. Having spent lost of time in Europe where tips are included in the prices, service generally is slow or just plain sucks.
I always tip the recommended amount as I feel that is what they deserve for doing their job. If the service is above average, I adjust the tips up accordingly. This is often the case and I am happy to say I have never had to adjust them down. I've been on about 40 sailings so this is a fairly bold statement. If you do ever receive poor service, most lines with auto tip or mandatory tips will allow you to adjust them.
Old November 30th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizkilla
I always take the auto-tip off immediately. Dont burden yourself with a surpirses charge. Its also better to give those who serve you the money personally. But follow the guidelines and if the server has made your experience better, why not extend the gratuity.
The tip is $10 per night of the cruise per person in the cabin. I assume you know how many people you have in your cabin? do you know how many nights your cruise is? is so where is the Surprise charge???

It depends what line you are on but it is becomming less and less possible to tip all those that REALLY provide you service without auto tipping, and on some lines if you remove the service charge, which many lines will NOT now let you do without serious cause, and then you give cash that cash must and will be turned in and goes into a tip pool so the person you wanted to reward will not get it.

if you leave it on and tip a person more, then they can in fact keep it. and don't think that they can get away with hiding cash you give them. They cannot, the others on board will see to that.

Auto tipping means NO SURPRISE charges.

The Opposite of Love is not Hate, But Indifference
Old January 14th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
The tipping is $10 per day per person travelling. 8 of you would be $80 per day..... and that includes tipping everyone on the ship who serves you, aside from bar service.

This may sound like alot because there are 8 of you, but especially with 4 in a cabin, and lots of teens, the staff you are tipping will likely earn every penny of it.
Thankfully, I never travel with so many people ... but, honestly, isn't $80 per day a bit much for the average family group?

I honestly think the cruise lines are being a bit unreasonable with this. I feel that the amount should be capped after the first two people in the cabin. But, also to be fair, I have to say that when you have a solo in the cabin, the amount should be maybe 50% higher than the normal per person charge.

True, the waiters will have more work to do when serving four people as opposed to two ... but unless the occupants of that cabin are total slobs, it shouldn't require much more effort for the cabin steward to tidy up a cabin for four than it does a cabin for two.

I know several people who cruise with their children, and they always cap their auto tips. One has two kids sharing the cabin and she always sends her husband down to the front desk the first evening to cut off the kids' auto-tips, while another friend caps the auto-tips at the rate for three, not four, in the cabin.

Now, that said, if you have the kids in a separate cabin, that's a different issue altogether and you should keep their auto-tips in place. But when they share your cabin, it just seems like $40+ a day in tips can be a bit too much on the family budget.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 20th, 2010, 01:54 AM
Beginner

Tipping is not given automatically. It is earned. Quality service deserves a tip. If the service is not good then we should not tip them.

I agree to others that there should have no automatic tips.
Old March 20th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidus37 View Post
Tipping is not given automatically. It is earned. Quality service deserves a tip. If the service is not good then we should not tip them.

I agree to others that there should have no automatic tips.
The automatic tip is really a good idea because many passengers DON'T tip. They either forget or think the tip has been included in the price of the cruise. (They think tipping is an extra goodie and service staff's pay is their main income...it's NOT)

Ship service staff depend on these tips and work very hard to earn them.

For example: On some ships we've been on we hardly notice our cabin crew...they're in and out so fast but our cabin was always clean, fresh with everything in place. True we rarely saw them, but that doesn't mean they didn't work hard. It just meant they're efficient and deserve a nice tip.

BTW: We don't use the automatic tipping system because we always tip a little more and we like handing the envelopes personally. But we always tip...unless the service is terrible. And certainly if the service (whichever) was that bad we wouldn't just withhold the tip...we would also report it to Guest Relations so the situation or attitude can be corrected.

Last edited by Fieldmouse; March 20th, 2010 at 11:48 AM. Reason: added thought