Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2008, 12:40 AM
Passenger

Default Tipping above prepaid tips on the first night?

One poster stated that in addition to the 10pppd autotips, he tipped his waiter 20 bucks the first night of the cruise, and received fantastic service, how many of you do this?
Old July 21st, 2008, 01:05 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Tipping above prepaid tips on the first night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea007
One poster stated that in addition to the 10pppd autotips, he tipped his waiter 20 bucks the first night of the cruise, and received fantastic service, how many of you do this?
Tipping is something that is highly personal but tipping "above" the "autotips" is not expected or necessary.

I have never pre-tipped a waiter and have almost always had great service.

I have tipped additional, during the cruise, to crew, including waiters, who go above and beyond the "normal" duties or fulfilled special requests but I do not "grease the skids" just to assure good service.

I do believe that many people who "grease the skids" do so to make themselves feel more important rather than to assure good service.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 29th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Familiar Face

As a first time-cruiser who has yet to get on board, I have no personal savvy to offer here (besides coming in late). That said ...

Advice I got from a long-time cruise ship employee is this:

1. Waiters and cabin stewards have a "flock" of people to serve. Some are going to be great cruisers, others not so great, a few real stinkers.

2. Consequently, such service people are going to quickly prioritize all those whom they serve, especially on longer cruises (such as a week or more). And, one criterion they use is the "advance tip."

Conversely, really demanding and rude customers are probably going to fall to the bottom of the priority list.

As I'm moving into an era of life where I might be cruising (as I said, this upcoming cruise is my first), I'm going to try this and see if it makes any discernible difference.

This is likely too late for the original query, but I'll try to remember to come back and respond to my own post here, to report what (if any) conclusion I make.
Old January 29th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Riv,
Welcome to the world of cruising, I do look forward to your thoughts, on not only the tipping/service levels, but the whole expierence.

Wishing you a fantastic "first" cruise, almost time to get packing.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 29th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I wouldn't. In fact that could be considered an insult to some from different cultures. (i.e.-you don't think they can do their job without additional incentive) After service fine, before service probably a no-no.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old January 29th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I have to say this - I was on Delta Queen and I partially pre-tipped the room steward for my Mom because I knew she was going to need some things - like water, etc.

It did me absolutely no good at all. In fact it was some of the worst service I had ever had. I think he may have thought that was the only tip I was going to give him for the whole cruise. So, if you do this, be sure to explain what you are doing. "this is a bonus to get us started, this is not your entire tip."

See, in my case I was so mad I may not have given him any more money - and then (being not used to our culture) I now realize this exact scenario may have happened to him before. So he came to believe that people who tip a small amount at first don't plan to tip any more.

The alternative would be to give them the whole tip first, including any extra - then they KNOW what your intentions are, but you still have no guarantee they aren't just flakes - so that is risky.
Old January 29th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Familiar Face

We're almost neighbors, Snoozeman. I'm in Ellis County, just on the edge of Waxahachie. Small world.
Old January 29th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivilian View Post
We're almost neighbors, Snoozeman. I'm in Ellis County, just on the edge of Waxahachie. Small world.
Pretty close. I'm in the hills of SW Bosque County in the Norse Historic District, between Norse and Cranfills Gap.

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old January 29th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Admiral

The one time we pre-tipped $20.00 we had the worst service we've ever had ! We considered ourselves to be very lucky to get clean towels and ice.

The Room Steward had hired a "helper" and she was in tears most of the time because he was so nasty to her ! At the end of that cruise his "helper" got all of the extra tips and he was lucky to retain the auto-tip.

He said it was his last cruise and I'd have to say "good riddance"!

You get good service from Room Steward's who love their job and like us (that would be the people who book cabins!).

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old January 30th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Funny that the two of us that have actually tried this approach ended up having bad results.

Maybe it says something to the room steward about values, that you "expect special attention just because you have money." I am not saying this is what we were thinking when we gave the pre-tip, I am just trying to get inside thie minds of the room stewards who gave terrible service.

It like this, "hmmm, this guy just hands me $20 and thinks I'm going to be getting out of bed at 3:00 am to get him ice or something for seven days, forget about that, mon. I get my autotip anyway."
Old January 30th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Admiral

Just one of the reasons I never recommend it.8)

Future Cruises:
Old February 4th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Beginner

Default Pre tipping and additional tipping

I have a problem with this. We paid several hundred dollars all together to pre-tip the whole crew, and now I always still feel compelled to tip a dollar or two if I get something delivered to the cabin.

What's the point of the pre-charged tip if you feel compelled to do it again!
Old February 4th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Admiral

Giving a buck or two to someone who delivers room service falls into a different category for me. It is often not your cabin stewart and it is additional work even if it is. So, I have no problem with it. Besides, if a dollar makes someone happy, it is money well spent. And, it rarely adds up to much, probably the cost of a really cheap t-shirt.
Re. pre-tipping, I do not do that at all, except on when a crew member carries your carry on luggage to the cabin for you. But, again, that is extra service and not anyone you might ever see again. The custom of giving tips after services have been performed is common everywhere. And, as stated, some cultures might consider it an insult to pre-tip. I have found that a friendly attitude and respect will get you the best service possible.
Marty
Old February 4th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Admiral

We always leave the auto tips on our account. The people who deliver Room Service are not included in those tips so we tip $2.00-$3.00.

We don't feel that we're expected to tip anyone else extra, but we usually tip our Room Steward, favorite bar waiter, and bartender a little extra at the end of the cruise. This varies depending on the "over and above" service we receive.

There's absolutely no reason to feel guilty about not tipping more than your pre-paid tips.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old February 6th, 2010, 09:50 AM
First Mate

I tip too much but never before the cruise or early on in the cruise. Give me outstanding service and I'll tip generously at the end of the cruise.
Old March 21st, 2010, 09:59 AM
Familiar Face

I always tip the room Stewart an extra 20 on the first day and let him know there will be more at the end if he takes good care of us.
I have always felt this got us service above and beyond the usual great service.

On recently reading the boards I have found out the crew has to turn in all tips to a pool.(which I did not know) I thought about this and considered changing my MO but will continue to do things as I always have.
Old April 14th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Captain

Default Tipping

Do you tip for drinks, I know that there is a built in 15% to each drink but do you tip extra for that? It seemed like on Royal Caribbean they expected it?

05/01/10 Sapphire Princess
09/14/09 Enchantment of the Seas
10/19/08 Crown Princess
03/04/04 Majesty of the Seas
Old April 14th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

No, there is no need to tip extra on top of the 15%. Now, you may have a favorite bartender that serves you often, then you may want to give him something extra, in that case they will accept cash, but I've never seen it expected.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 15th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Captain

Default Tipping

Thanks Donna, that was an ongoing debate between my sister and me. I thought you didn't but she thought you should. Thanks for clearing it up....

05/01/10 Sapphire Princess
09/14/09 Enchantment of the Seas
10/19/08 Crown Princess
03/04/04 Majesty of the Seas
Old April 15th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Captain

Exclamation

In over a dozen cruises we have never tipped extra upfront
we always received very good service
If you want to tip extra do at the time of service EG room service or wait until the last night.
If you sit at the same bar all day then maybe slipping the bartender extra $$ will get you better drinks
I have heard of this happening
Old April 30th, 2010, 08:44 PM
First Mate

Default Welcome aboard. next week someone new

Just like at a Hotel treat the staff with respect, say Hello and Thank you.
You are not their buddy, maybe over time as they get to know you over many cruises. They have a job to do.

We use the Autotip method per the Cruise Line policy. Certainly save worry about having enough and right cash in various domination's and of course it is US$ normally.

Will tip $1- $2 for room service, long halls, heavy trays and gets to a person who is normally not on the food chain.

Tip first day , wrong message based on culture or self importance or perceived passenger arrogance. Communication needed.

End of cruise, some extra monies , more of a surprise to those you felt deserve more
Crew knows who autotipped or not.

Say goodbye to staff , shake hands , smile , thank them
Four hours later, you are history but perhaps in their memory, a pasenger who made their job easy .

Cheers :-D
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Old May 1st, 2010, 02:29 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
"On recently reading the boards I have found out the crew has to turn in all tips to a pool.(which I did not know) I thought about this and considered changing my MO but will continue to do things as I always have. "
That is why when I tip in cash I always do it in private. If someone sees it they will feel compelled to put it in the pool, but if no one sees it then I tend to believe they probably keep it - as you intended for them to do.
Old May 1st, 2010, 03:04 PM
First Mate

Default Depends on Cruise Line and AutoTip policy

Our experience and in chats with my TA and crew.
Most lines have the Autotip method and if you have allowed that in full then the crew who have access to that information are not required to put your extra cash into the pool.
If you have reduced or removed than they are required to place in the pool.

I just found out thru a recent post ,MSC Poesia - Cruisemates Reader's Cruise Reviews

and verified with the author that MSC collects your autotip but it does not go to the crew as they say it is insde their wages. Most of the passengers on that voyage removed theri autotip.

Who said life was easy..
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Old February 22nd, 2011, 10:25 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Always!

I prepay all tips when I book, take cash and give the additional cash to the steward, the waiter, etc as soon as they introduce themselves. This is done discreetly. Over tip and early to offset the crooks who do not tip or short tip.
However, I have never added to a bar tab above the standard already added in.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 11:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivilian View Post
As a first time-cruiser who has yet to get on board, I have no personal savvy to offer here (besides coming in late). That said ...

Advice I got from a long-time cruise ship employee is this:

1. Waiters and cabin stewards have a "flock" of people to serve. Some are going to be great cruisers, others not so great, a few real stinkers.

2. Consequently, such service people are going to quickly prioritize all those whom they serve, especially on longer cruises (such as a week or more). And, one criterion they use is the "advance tip."

Conversely, really demanding and rude customers are probably going to fall to the bottom of the priority list.

As I'm moving into an era of life where I might be cruising (as I said, this upcoming cruise is my first), I'm going to try this and see if it makes any discernible difference.

This is likely too late for the original query, but I'll try to remember to come back and respond to my own post here, to report what (if any) conclusion I make.
Illiud Latine dici non potest