Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 5th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Beginner

Default How to change auto tip info needed to bring to account desk?

First time cruiser heard lots of horror stories pre paid tips staff doesn't care about people since its automatic and people don't usually change the auto tip just pay extra in cash for good service but keep it even with poor service.
If I were to choose to raise or lower the auto tip for good or bad service not that I plan too, mid thru the cruise. what information is required to do so? do I have to bring my wallet with credit card or just picture ID and tell them what cabin I'm in?
Also can someone change auto tip for someone else in the same cabin ie friends/family going together under one credit card or do we both have to go?
Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

I'll tell you what we did. We kept the standard auto tip the way it was. We know this is a dollar figure you can not get out of paying PLUS with the percentages split being such a small minute amount each person gets, it is not worth the extra work to do it.

Our cabin steward, we tipped him in cash a few bucks each day then "after hours" when we caught him on another deck working on the Lido deck on the last day. We also tipped in cash our dining room waiter on our last night of dinner.

Carnival Inspiration 8/2009
Carnival Fascination 8/2008
Old February 5th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Admiral

If you feel the need to reduce the auto-tip, go to the purser's desk. They will usually want to know exactly what the problem was and why you did not complain earlier, so that they could fix things. A valid question, I suppose, but the one time I did this, the true answer, which I gave, was that we kept trying to ignore it and keep a good attitude. They asked for my cruise card and did the transaction on the spot. They also asked if I wanted to speak to the department manager, but this was the last morning and I had no desire to end the cruise with any more negativity than needed.
Marty
Old February 5th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Beginner

Default Thank you Marty

its nice to ask a question and actually get an answer to the specific question not totally off topic answers with added questions than nobody answers the original question.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 03:04 PM
Beginner

My suggestion is do NOT auto tip in your case. Just remove it when you get on the ship and then stuff money into the envelopes and thank them personally. We use auto tip but like in my post their are disadvantages. Just make sure you have lots of traveller cheques so you can tip with cash.

Put all valuables in your cabin safe.
Old August 9th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Admiral

Some times if the staff hear that you have reduced the tip. They may give you poor service just to get back at you. Most staff earn the tip .
The staff use the tips to cover onshore costs when in port. their wage is usually sent directly to their families or special bank account.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old March 12th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboomer View Post
My suggestion is do NOT auto tip in your case. Just remove it when you get on the ship and then stuff money into the envelopes and thank them personally.
Not a real good suggestion IMHO..... If you remove the auto tips and just give tips out manually, there are staff that work behind the scens you never come in contact with that get a portion of the auto tips (and deserve them I may add). Removing the auto tip will eliminate those staff deserving of a tipo that the auto tip would have covered.

If at anytime during the cruise you are not satisfied with the service of say your stateroom attendant, or servers, etc..... you would be doing them an injustice not to report them and possibly adjust your tips, IF they did not correct the issue you were having with them after a chat with guest services.

THINK BEFORE YOU REMOVE TIPS !

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"