Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 16th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Cruiser View Post
Sorry Donna, no one deserves tips for just doing their job! A tip is a reward for going beyond the call of duty in rendering a service to a customer. I do my job everyday to the best of my ability and have never received a tip for doing so.

Happy Sailings
Tim
Except on cruise ship the tips comprise roughly 90+% of their salary. The cruise lines should not call them tips, but what they really are a Service Charge. Make the per day charge mandatory and if you wish to tip above that then that is your choice.

Plus isn't it the job of management to make service from crew discrete? They don't want the room steward barging in to clean your room when you are in your cabin getting ready. They want them to live up to the old joke that is often told about how you got up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and when you returned to your bed it was made up. So I don't really see the requirement for them to be visible everyday to get a tip. If there is something you need, you can call housekeeping. As long as the steward cleans your room appropriately, and follows through with any reasonable requests, then he/she deserves to obtain their daily tip (service charge) and if you feel like going above that, that's great too.
Old August 16th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Cruiser View Post
Sorry Donna, no one deserves tips for just doing their job! A tip is a reward for going beyond the call of duty in rendering a service to a customer. I do my job everyday to the best of my ability and have never received a tip for doing so.

Happy Sailings
Tim
I did not work in the Service Industry (boring Accountant) but yet I received bonuses from my employer and tips/gifts (occasionally) from clients and co-workers ranging from a bottle a wine to a weekend holiday.

They were very much appreciated and it is very nice to feel appreciated.

As I said I have never reduced the auto-tips and on one occasion handed over an envelope in addition as a recognition of exceptional service.

The look on the face of the crewmember was priceless!

It is nice to be nice and does not always cost much either.

Old August 16th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Tim,
In this case, most of their earnings are from tips, their salary isn't enough to earn a living. Just because I didn't see the cabin attendant doesn't mean that you don't tip them. They always leave a card with a number to get a hold of them, if there is something you need done, etc.

Some of the major cruise lines have them automatically taken from your sign/sail account, to assure they get the tips earned. I do say earned, because I believe they work long hard hours to make our cruise vacation a good one.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 17th, 2010, 12:37 AM
Passenger

Default tips

I have not cruised since 2003.....so I didn't know that the option was there to take off the auto-tip policy.
Is this something you can do before you cruise or after your onboard?
Old August 17th, 2010, 04:10 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Tim,
In this case, most of their earnings are from tips, their salary isn't enough to earn a living. Just because I didn't see the cabin attendant doesn't mean that you don't tip them. They always leave a card with a number to get a hold of them, if there is something you need done, etc.

Some of the major cruise lines have them automatically taken from your sign/sail account, to assure they get the tips earned. I do say earned, because I believe they work long hard hours to make our cruise vacation a good one.
I understand that everyone on a cruise ship works hard for their money! I just wish they wouldn't call them tips. Just add the extra into the fare and say that there is no need to tip. Everyone deserves to earn a living wage, just because one is in the service industry doesn't make it that they don't.

Happy sailings
Tim

p.s. I have never taken away the gratuity from my sail and sign and do normally give extra to those who give super service.

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old August 17th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Tim,
I agree, just add the cost of the tips to the cruise price...

Message Boards Moderator