Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Familiar Face

Default How often do you take off your gratuities?

We have had a few cruises where everything just went wrong. We didn;t take our gratuities off the bill but I admit we were tempted.

has anyone else out there ever NOT tipped on a cruise? Our room steward was absent and didnt even clean up a couple nights. We didnt eat in the dining room.

We had room service A FEW times and I gave the delivery guy a couple dollars...

But why should I tip if Im not getting the service from those people? I'm sorry but times are tough and I paid plenty for the cruise. I don't mind tipping when I use the service but what if i don't?

Have you ever gone to the front desk and asked for your tips back?

Did they do it? and did they give you any grief about doing it?

Seabourn 1995 - Carnival Elation 1996 - Sea Princess 1998 - Crystal Harmony 1998 - Grand Princess 1998 - Holland America Ryndam 1999 - Renaissance 2000 Oceania 2002 - Carnival Conquest 2004 - Pride of America 2005 - Emerald Princess 2006 - Crsytal Serenity June 2008
Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Admiral

We've never felt the need to even think about removing tips. Your automatic tips go to many more people than the Room Steward and the dining room staff (most of whom work in the Buffet, etc., too).

If you have a problem, I'd suggest that you go to the Purser's desk and give them a chance to resolve it. If our Room Steward wasn't doing their job I'd be asking why! While I don't think they'll give you "grief" if you want to remove your tips, I'm sure they'll ask why you didn't report your problem(s) immediately .

We consider the tips a part of the total cost of a cruise.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old January 12th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Captain

We have never felt the need to remove tips
If your room steward is not doing his job talk with housekeeping supervisor.
You must have eaten someplace so & the crew work in other areas beside the dining room
Old January 12th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Never considered removing tips. Your eating somewhere on the ship even if not in the dining room so keeping the tips on is the most fair way to handle it.

As other have already said, if there is a problem, get it resolved. Most of the room steward work is now done by teams so although you have one steward there are 2-3 people working on your cabin.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old January 13th, 2010, 05:32 AM
First Mate

Never, wouldn't think of it.

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Oasis of the Seas 10/16/10
Old January 13th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Familiar Face

If the service isn't good then you should complain. If it doesn't get any better than they don't deserve the tip.

BB
Old January 13th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Familiar Face

I wouldn't tip in a restaurant if I got bad service - why should a cruiseship be any different?

Just to be clear here, I have cruised a number of times and I have always tipped except certain people back in the day when you had envelopes. I just wondered if you don't think the "automatic tipping" practises now enforced by the cruiselines aren't just a tad intimidating and meant to be so?

Seabourn 1995 - Carnival Elation 1996 - Sea Princess 1998 - Crystal Harmony 1998 - Grand Princess 1998 - Holland America Ryndam 1999 - Renaissance 2000 Oceania 2002 - Carnival Conquest 2004 - Pride of America 2005 - Emerald Princess 2006 - Crsytal Serenity June 2008
Old January 13th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Admiral

The only time we ever thought about it was on our NCL cruise but decided to leave the tips in place. The only real problem was that we never saw the cabin steward, but the cabin was being done both morning and night and we realized that the steward had a lot of cabins to do. It was a case of NCL not having enough cabin stewards so we made sure to mention in our comment card about it. But we just could not punish the person becasue of NCL policy.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old January 15th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlb1050 View Post
The only time we ever thought about it was on our NCL cruise but decided to leave the tips in place. The only real problem was that we never saw the cabin steward, but the cabin was being done both morning and night and we realized that the steward had a lot of cabins to do. It was a case of NCL not having enough cabin stewards so we made sure to mention in our comment card about it. But we just could not punish the person becasue of NCL policy.
Punish him for what...doing his job? I could understand if he wasn't cleaning your room, but you said he was. So you wanted to not tip because you couldn't say "hi" to him?
Old January 15th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wando View Post
Punish him for what...doing his job? I could understand if he wasn't cleaning your room, but you said he was. So you wanted to not tip because you couldn't say "hi" to him?
Ummm, I don't think you read nlb's post correctly. They said they didn't take off the auto tips because the Room Steward did his/her job even though he/she appeared to be very overworked (we've noticed this on NCL cruises, too.).

They never said that they wouldn't tip if the RS didn't say "hi" !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old January 15th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Captain

Quote:
The only time we ever thought about it was on our NCL cruise but decided to leave the tips in place. The only real problem was that we never saw the cabin steward, but the cabin was being done both morning and night and we realized that the steward had a lot of cabins to do.
I will rephrase the question already asked
WHY were you thinking of removing the tip from the cabin steward if your room was cleaned twice a day?

If you are getting cheap cruises with NCL they have to make more money so they cut back on food quality, staff and other amenities

I sometimes never see my room steward but as long as the room is clean I do not care if I meet them or not.
I will see them in the hall & they do say hello I do not need to be best friends with them
Old January 16th, 2010, 02:34 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post
Ummm, I don't think you read nlb's post correctly. They said they didn't take off the auto tips because the Room Steward did his/her job even though he/she appeared to be very overworked (we've noticed this on NCL cruises, too.).

They never said that they wouldn't tip if the RS didn't say "hi" !
No I think you read it incorrectly. Nib stated he/she was thinking of removing the tips because they never saw their cabin steward. Then he/she went on to say that their room was cleaned and decided not to punish him for NCL's policy. I'm not sure the reason that Nib thought the Steward should be punished if he was doing his job and cleaning their cabin. The only think I could think of was that Nib didn't see him and therefore couldn't say "hi" or interact with him in some way and therefore thought of removing the tip. The removal didn't having anything to do with the Steward not performing his job, but not being visible. Thankfully Nib didn't remove the tip, but I still don't see what the Steward did that Nib thought he should be punished.

My line about thinking about no tipping because they couldn't say "hi" was my wondering what it was the Steward wasn't doing that deserved to be not tipped, since he clearly did the job he was supposed to do and that was clean the cabins.

If the Steward was overworked and was still able to do his job, then I would think he deserved an additional tip/praise on the comment card and not being potentially punished by having his tips removed because NCL didn't have enough room Stewards. I applaud Nib if he/she commented that NCL should hire more Stewards and I hope he/she didn't put anything negative about the Steward because he was too busy to be seen (whatever that means) since a negative comment could result in the Steward being given extra duties and possibly even losing his job.
Old January 16th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I don't quite understand the comment about not seeing your cabin attendant, unless they wanted to speak to him/her?? As long as the job was done, they deserve their tips. Once they clean in the morning and evening, they have other duties that they are responsible for.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 16th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Admiral

The reason we thought about removing or reducing the tip for the cabin steward was because no matter what we did we were never able to connect with the steward, we wanted to use the refrigerator and asked for them to remove the items that NCL placed in there, we called to number provided and got a recording saying to leave a message, which we did and nothing. Becasue of the tightness of trying to get by the sides of the bed we called the number to have the bed split, which it could have been and nothing. Wanting ice in our ice bucket, I ended up going along the hallway, with the ice bucket in hand and finally finding someone about 30 cabins away and had a very hard time getting them to understand what I needed, I finally was able to get them to understand and had to write my cabin mumber down for them with a request for ice every day. Atfter talking with a couple of other passengers (which in itself was not easy, very unfreindly passengers) we realized that NCL has a very over worked crew for the cabins and so I decided at that time that no I would not reduce/remove the tips, it was not the cabin stewards fault but rather NCL's fault for not having enough crew to do the work.

Though we left the tips in place we decided that we would not cruise with NCL again. They were not caring enough of the passengers with a lack of crew all over except for bar waiters on the pool deck and they only paid attention to those who were wanting something to drink every half hour.

Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old January 16th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Familiar Face

I understand it, sometimes you want to talk to your cabin steward about something you want or need like washclothes, ice, a cleaner pillocase.

It is part of service. If you go to restaurant where you never see the waiter, that is called a "drive-through".

Old January 16th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Captain

Quote:
The reason we thought about removing or reducing the tip for the cabin steward was because no matter what we did we were never able to connect with the steward, we wanted to use the refrigerator and asked for them to remove the items that NCL placed in there, .
You should have contacted the Hotel/housekeeping manager ...failing that talk to the frontdesk or Purser.

Why stew about the problem ...just keep going up the chain of command
Old January 16th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Admiral

We tried Hotel/housekeeping manager and got no where, the only help we got from the frontdesk was when we complained about never getting and answer when calling about making a reservation at one of the resturants and that even too a few calls to the frontdesk.

So that really told us that NCL was not the line for us to cruise with again. It just showed us that the whole crew were completely over worked and that is not good.

We did not stew about the problem. We took care of all the stuff NCL put in the refridge ourselves by taking all of it out and putting it on the counter, where it sat for our whole cruise.

I ended up feeling sorry for the cabin steward.

Old March 30th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Admiral

We do not do auto-pay for gratuities. Yes, we remove them at the beginning and then decide if they should go back or any changes we need to make.

We have never not given gratuities in the end but we have "re-adjusted" them and only once have we given a gratuity to the head waiter (or whatever title he has.)

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old March 30th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Admiral

We tip because we feel obliged to do so, in our experience the staff just do their job, we have never had or required any special service, we have had indifferent service but still tipped.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 05:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu48 View Post
You should have contacted the Hotel/housekeeping manager ...failing that talk to the frontdesk or Purser
That's what we had to do on only ONE occasion, and the problem was corrected immediately. I wouldn't withhold a tip unless I had talked first with Housekeeping and/or with Guest Services and there were no positive results.

But we've never sailed NCL...and maybe won't.....
Old June 15th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Familiar Face

Default Envelopes instead

I always have all auto tips removed. I have never had any trouble doing this. I prefer to use envelopes filled with cash. There's something about handing your tip to the staff and saying thanks for the service.

Auto tipping and the pooling of tips defeat the purpose of tipping. I can't do anything about the pooling but I will do my part to give tips to those who serve me well and I do reduce the amount if the service is poor.

If you worked for tips would you be more focused on customer service? What if you and your laziest coworker pooled and split tips, would you still have the incentive to give your best effort?
Old June 16th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Admiral

We've never removed ,just the opposite ,we increase always
Old June 28th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Passenger

We recently returned from a HAL cruise and on board at a get together we were told how our automatic tip was distributed, so much for the cabin steward, so much for the dining staff, bar staff, kitchen and laundry etc. That gave us a good idea of whether we felt particular services warranted extra tips etc. We got very good service from everyone, so left the tips on, but on a Princess Cruise a few years ago we had them removed and did our own thing. I think it depends on whether you feel you have good service or not. Cruising is no longer the privelage of the rich, but some of us do have to save up quite some time to still afford it . As a previous cruisemate said, we too felt we'd paid enough for the cruise anyway and the extra charges on top for gratuities can add a sizeable chunk to the holiday which hasn't been accounted for in the budget. We would never remove tips altogether, but would adjust if we felt necessary, and reward personally those we felt excelled in their service.
Old August 15th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Admiral

Tipping in American is quite different from tipping in other countries. I had issues with my hubby wanting to tip everyone in Italy. I knew tipping was either included in the bill or not expected. So it's interesting to hear from people not from the USA and get a different idea about things.

On a cruise ship I have always had excellent service with no reason to remove the auto tip. I find it odd to remove the auto tip in order to hand the tip to the person in cash. I guess I would want to know from the staff if it makes any difference to them. Auto tip vs cash tips. I know there are cruisers who hate auto tips, I prefer the auto tips it's easier for me. If I feel someone went above the norm then I would add an extra cash tip at the end of the cruise.

I worked as a hairstylist for 14 years some people would announce before the hair cut that if I did a good job I would get a large tip. I always found this offensive like I would only deliver quantity if I got a lot of money. I spend a lot of my life at work I want to be proud of what I do regardless of the amount of money I'm paid. My sense of the people on cruise ships is they feel the same. Pride in your job is it's own motivation.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old August 15th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Admiral

Not being American I have a different view of tips, but we just give what is recommended. I don't see why anyone would want to remove tips, after all isn't the American theory that we all must tip as the staff get virtually no wages? Auto/charged tips are best for us, we find the whole handing over of envelopes a bit embarassing & even patronising in a "here you are my good man" sort of way.
Old August 15th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Admiral

For the record, I have never taken off the auto-tips. That said:

In an earlier life, I worked as a Payroll Accountant in the Shipping Industry and therefore appreciate how valuable the tips are to crew. They are very heavily dependent upon them.

The NCL comments re-low staffing levels I have heard before and I know this has resulted in people reducing the tips. Simple solution do not sail with NCL.

A more honest approach IMHO would be to consolidate the tips in the cruise fare - but I can hear the objections already!

BTW my brother, whilst on a business trip in NC, received appalling service in a restaurant - paid the bill but left no tip. The staff accosted him physically outside the restaurant for leaving no tip! He explained why and they retorted that the level of service received should not influence tip left. That does not wash with Europeans!

Pay the staff a reasonable rate of pay and tipping would not be so contentious! The staff would not be so heavily dependent upon them.
Old August 15th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to sergej

>>even clean up a couple nights.

I don't ask to return gratuities whatever happens.

What I normally ask is not to clean my room 2 times a day.
That have no sence for me .
1 time a day is more than enought.

Some times if my room is OK I ask steward to come morning.

I don't celan my room 2 times a day , why on earth should i get that
service on ship
Old August 15th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have done this twice........and had no guilt in doing so, in these two instances. The crew works hard, 99.99% of the time.

The first was: the waiter and his helper, argued constantly, so our service was terrible, and this was HAL too! Quite a surprise, to say the least

The second was a room steward, who cleaned the room, like a teenager would, sorry, not good enough.....

I think when this does happen, I think the purser's office, should ask why,and notate the complaint, so it won't continue.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 15th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Admiral

'' Pay the staff a reasonable rate of pay and tipping would not be so contentious! The staff would not be so heavily dependent upon them.''
Seems the right way to us in UK/Europe but it is not the way it works in the U.S.
Old August 16th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I don't quite understand the comment about not seeing your cabin attendant, unless they wanted to speak to him/her?? As long as the job was done, they deserve their tips. Once they clean in the morning and evening, they have other duties that they are responsible for.
Sorry Donna, no one deserves tips for just doing their job! A tip is a reward for going beyond the call of duty in rendering a service to a customer. I do my job everyday to the best of my ability and have never received a tip for doing so.

Happy Sailings
Tim

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15