CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Tipping (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/tipping/)
-   -   Cruiseport Tipping (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/tipping/383680-cruiseport-tipping.html)

Lakers Fan July 11th, 2011 10:23 PM

Cruiseport Tipping

When you arrive at the cruiseport and leave your baggage do you tip the baggage handlers ? If so ,what is the customary amount ?

fun2cruiz July 11th, 2011 10:53 PM

PERSONALLY.... I provide the porters $1 - $2 per bag they handle.....many will say you do not need to...some are of the belief that tipping the porters is "insurance" to be assured you luggage gets loaded onto the ship...(personally I think this is a load of crap !) then others are opposed to tipping due to the salaries the "long shoreman" (doubling as porters for extra $$) make annually. I cant recall which port has a sign stating "Gratuities not required to be paid to porters".... so there you have the basic responses you will probably get from your querry !

lulu48 July 11th, 2011 11:33 PM

I give $1-2 per bag also

I think Miami has the sign
I tried to tip in SFO but the guy took off before I could give him the money

Donna July 12th, 2011 06:41 AM

This is a must, at least a dollar or two per bag usually does it....

Manuel July 12th, 2011 07:29 AM

I would not feel right without tipping.

I usully give them close to two dollars per bag.

TM

Mike M July 12th, 2011 08:41 AM

It is customary to give $1 - $2 per bag and it's probably a good idea to do so.

The interesting thing is that these porters are not cruise line or ship employees. They are dock workers (longshoremen) and most are doing this to pick up extra money. The person you are tipping is probably making a high five or low six figures in income.

Take care,
Mike

Lakers Fan July 12th, 2011 10:25 AM

The reason I posed the question is because I normally give $2 per bag but somebody told me it should be $5 per bag .

Trip July 12th, 2011 10:27 AM

It's the right thing to do in my book too, but, I would not pay the $5.00 per bag...$1.00~$2.00 a bag is what we do.

johnthed0g July 12th, 2011 11:07 AM

When we cruise from Southampton Uk they don't seem to expect a tip & are gone with the bags right away, on a fly cruise we never see the bags or the porters.

Manuel July 12th, 2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1381151)
The reason I posed the question is because I normally give $2 per bag but somebody told me it should be $5 per bag .

Stick with $2 per bag. I think that is quite generous.

TM

lulu48 July 12th, 2011 11:39 PM

JMO

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnthed0g (Post 1381163)
When we cruise from Southampton Uk they don't seem to expect a tip & are gone with the bags right away, on a fly cruise we never see the bags or the porters.

Seems to be a USA thing
As stated there are signs saying no tipping & the longshoreman make good wages but they still have their hand out ;)

People are afraid that they will take their bags & will not load them on the ship

green_rd July 13th, 2011 09:24 AM

Are they taking it from my hand and putting it directly in a container or are they actually "porting" my bags. I've seen both and tried to tip accordingly.

nlb1050 July 13th, 2011 09:58 AM

We generaly have just 2 bags that are checked but since it is easier I will give $5 to whomever takes our bags. Now when we disembark we don't use anyone so no tipping then, but when we have used one we have tipped $1 per bag.