CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Tipping (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/tipping/)
-   -   2012 tipping (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/tipping/388543-2012-tipping.html)

Lakers Fan March 30th, 2012 10:10 AM

2012 tipping

We decided to tip our Cabin Steward ,Waiter ,Asst.Waiter and Maitr'D .

Based on 2012 what is the norm for a 13 day trip ? I am trying to determine if we over tipped or undertipped .

Mike M March 30th, 2012 10:15 AM

At $11.50/day it would be $299 for two people on a thirteen day cruise.

Take care,
Mike

Trip March 30th, 2012 11:16 AM

I would comment that tipping anyone other than the Maitre'd, would be a given. We were charged $12.50 per day, even after we left the ship.

lulu48 March 30th, 2012 05:33 PM

The ship will usually give you guidelines as to how much to tip

We just prefer the auto tip method (they add it to your account)

johnthed0g March 30th, 2012 06:13 PM

Heaven know mate...if Americans don't know us Brits have no idea!!
I hope for Autotip so I don't have to worry about it!

Mike M March 31st, 2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnthed0g (Post 1422623)
Heaven know mate...if Americans don't know us Brits have no idea!!
I hope for Autotip so I don't have to worry about it!

Even as an American I agree. The auto tipping has made things simpler and easier. I hated the last night and dividing the money into the envelopes.

I just let it go on my account and if someone does something I believe warrants additional then I just give it to them.

Take care,
Mike

Mike M March 31st, 2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1422576)
I would comment that tipping anyone other than the Maitre'd, would be a given. We were charged $12.50 per day, even after we left the ship.

Gee Triplet,

You must have been in a suite. I don't understand how they tipped you even after you left the ship. I hope they still aren't charging you. :)

Take care,
Mike

Trip March 31st, 2012 10:24 AM

We are special, right????? lol Bruce can't wrap his shead around how they continued to charge tips, to an empty cabin...

Mike M March 31st, 2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1422702)
We are special, right????? lol Bruce can't wrap his shead around how they continued to charge tips, to an empty cabin...

Yes Trip, you are special.

Are you sure it didn't take a couple of extra days for them to clean up after the wild parties you two had? ;):)

lulu48 March 31st, 2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1422562)

Based on 2012 what is the norm for a 13 day trip ? I am trying to determine if we over tipped or undertipped .

If you already tipped then you must have been OK with the amount

Nothing can be done now so just move on & stop stressing about it
Next cruise check the guidelines the cruise line suggests for the daily amount & if you want to tip someone extra do so there is no set rule for extra tips amounts
Tip what you are comfortable with

anniegb March 31st, 2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1422562)

Henry

Did you auto-tip? I do - saves me the hassle of carrying too much cash :)

Annie

Lakers Fan March 31st, 2012 06:51 PM

Clarification

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniegb (Post 1422739)
Henry

Did you auto-tip? I do - saves me the hassle of carrying too much cash :)

Annie

In addition to the $11.50 per person per day that everyone tips , we tipped the Cabin Steward ,Waiter ,Asst.Waiter and Mairtre'D additionally .I was inquiring the norm for additional tips for these people to determine (for future reference) if we under tipped or over tipped).

lulu48 March 31st, 2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1422779)
In addition to the $11.50 per person per day that everyone tips , we tipped the Cabin Steward ,Waiter ,Asst.Waiter and Mairtre'D additionally .I was inquiring the norm for additional tips for these people to determine (for future reference) if we under tipped or over tipped).

I do not think there is norm for additional tipping
what you feel comfortable giving
I have heard some say they give $50 but I am not that generous ..they would have to do many good things to get that much from me:)

We do open dining & if we sit in the same section with same waiters (by request) then we may give the waiters $20 each above the auto tip
I do not know or care if it is too much or too little
I am sure they will take any amount with a smile

hockeynut March 31st, 2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1422779)

I don't think there is a norm, or an expectation (as long as auto tips are left on). I always take 7-10 day cruises and this is what I have done:

In addition to auto tips, I always give the room steward $50.

I always use anytime dining now and always have different wait staff so I don't tip them unless I get the same pair several nights and the amount would vary based on service and how many nights.

I only tipped the Maitre'D once and gave him $20. We were married on board and had wanted a table every night with our favorite waiter (in anytime dining) that happened to be on board and he took care of our request. I gave that waiter $100 and the asst. $50. When I used traditional dining in the past, I normally would have given half that to each, but he was our favorite waiter we ever had, and he made our wedding cruise really special so I gave extra.

I also tip bartenders, but that will vary greatly depending on how much I see them.

As long as you leave auto tips on, just tip what you think is deserved. They will happy with any extra tips you give.

Lakers Fan March 31st, 2012 11:59 PM

We gave the Cabin Steward $15 ,the Waiter $20 ,the Asst.Waiter $10 and the Maitre'D $10.

DonD April 1st, 2012 01:06 PM

I love the auto tip thing. I usually add something to the ones I feel did an outstanding job.