Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 26th, 2000, 11:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Best Cruise Moments

OK.. there's certainly a need for a spot where cruise gripes can be aired.
Me, being Mr. Positive, thought that right in the midst of the gripes, there should be a topic of favorite cruise moments. Sure, the gripes are easier to remember, and the favorite moments are harder to choose to from, but lets hear from other "glass is half full folks"......

I think my own favorite would be having a full and private breakfast on our balcony aboard the Seabourn Sun as we sailed into Villenfranche this past spring.

Another favorite was our very first Creamscicle Bash at the Marriott Marina where close to 100 Net Buddies, who had never previously met, showed up to share our pre cruise night. It's special, because it was the first, and since then I've had a chance to cruise with many who I met that night.

Love to hear yours !!

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
CruiseMates.com
Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2000, 01:48 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default RE: Best Cruise Moments

Balcony dining is always the top of the "best cruise moments" list. I also remember a dinner on the Seabourn Sun. Our stewardess brought us literally everything on the menu!! We couldn't believe it.
Old August 26th, 2000, 08:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Paul,
The next question, did you actually eat all that food?? Dessert too?? My shorts are tight just thinking about that :-)

Donnassei/Sealover
Old September 1st, 2000, 11:23 AM
Captain

To me one of the best moments on a cruise was seeing the volcano flowing into the ocean in Hawaii at night while on the Independence. Another would be having a mother Humback and her calf coming up next to our sight seeing boat in Alaska.
Old September 1st, 2000, 11:39 AM
Admiral

Peb,
Yes, I'd say those were definately some good moments, hope you got that on film? Thanks for sharing that with us :-)

Donnassei/Sealover
Old September 4th, 2000, 05:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Can't beat that Hubbard Glacier for putting life into perspective. We were awed!!
Old September 19th, 2000, 03:15 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

I got you all beat -- best cruise moment was just getting the docs via FedEx!!

Just got ours Friday (my 13th straight day of work - I'm a real estate agent). You couldn't wipe the smile off my face as I floated the big red & white envelope around the office, singing, "The Love Boat's making another run ..."

Hope my post made you smile, and thanks Kuki for the "breakfast on the balcony" tip -- that's gonna be a must-do for us on our trip at the end of October.

Harry
Old September 19th, 2000, 08:27 AM
hdawson

Harry. Gotya beat. One day off in the last 21. Best of all, I leave this Saturday on Century. Think I'll call out today to get ready. ;-)
Old September 19th, 2000, 09:02 AM
Admiral

Hd,
Sounds like you need to cruise real bad! Enjoy :-)

Donnassei/SEalover
Old October 5th, 2000, 03:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Best cruise moment for me re itinerary-- passing by the baby Krakatoa

Best cruise moment on board ship- when I first discovered Holland America's chocolate buffet.
Old October 10th, 2000, 08:52 PM
sea lady

wish I could afford the breakfast on the seaborn sun.... take me along and I'll probably say lots of nice things....
Old October 23rd, 2000, 12:28 PM
First Mate

Best moments...Ahhh -so many!
1. Sailing into Venice with all the excitement of a very "new" -to me -place -And the sail-away, to the Italian Operatic voice of Pavoratti. The captain let out a blast from the ship's whistle -and all the pigeons in St Marks flew off, much to the delight of all of us hanging over our balcony railings!
2. Chatting with Andrea, one of the diningroom stewards -in the Horizon dining area during "snack buffet" -when WE always had lunch, since our late seating dining was 8:45pm. She was from Hungary -and I admitted the ONLY word I knew in Hungarian was "Csardis" -a Hungarian dance -from a book I'd read. She proceeded to teach me more Hungarian words; this "lunch" for us was at a truly uncrowded time on the Grand [Princess] with 2600 passengers!
3. Singing along with the company -old musical favorites -on the Nieuw Amsterdam until someone rudely told us tone-deaf folks to "Shut up" - no more 4 glass-of-wine dinners for me!
4. Sailing into New York Harbor at dawn & seeing the Statue of Liberty just as so many immigrants must have seen it over the last 100 years..Ellis Island...Coming "home" to the USA.
5. Our cruise thru the canal with our whole family of 10; oldest 87 -youngest just turned 3. What a sharing experience; we hope to do it again soon -only the 87 is no longer with us! Being a family -the best thing in the world!
6. Remembering ALL the helpers; room stewards, diningroom help etc -from every corner of the world, who have MADE our cruises memorable over the last 22 years.And the "CrowsNest" people especially - who became our pals; and the ship's crew that had dinner with us on HAL ships...................
7. Every cruise, and every day - a delightful way to see the world!
Old December 5th, 2000, 07:34 PM
Loves to Cruise

After having taken 4 cruises over the last 5 years, I have to admit that our most recent cruise on Royal Caribbean in early November will be the cruise I remember for the rest of my life.............On the night of the Grand Buffet, our gorgeous waiter caught me alone on the staircase afterward, and asked if it would be possible to meet him alone sometime............Complimented beyond words, I blushed like a schoolgirl, thanked him for making my day, told him that I had a son at home that was the same age as him (23), and walked away.......But for the rest of the week, dinner each night held a special excitement for me, as we shared knowing looks over the escargot and tiramisu!!!!
Old December 5th, 2000, 07:53 PM
Admiral

Hi Loves to Cruise,
Wow, what a story, bet you felt great after that :-) Thanks for sharing that with us all and happy cruising.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old December 6th, 2000, 07:29 PM
coka

If that happened to me, I would post it in the "scary cruise moments" post! Should the employees be doing that?
Old April 3rd, 2001, 03:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Kevin

Damn right the employees should be doing that. I had an incredibly hot Italian officer on an unnamed cruise who gave me the best personalized "service" in my cabin the whole week.
Old January 5th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Admiral

As said above by others, sailing in or out of Venice has got to be up there.

First time in Dubrovnik, was so special.

And the first cruise I was ever on, in many ways that was the most special moment as all was then new being on ship,,,crappy little ship, but great folks and a never to be forgotten experience that I have lived since
Old January 5th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Best Cruise Moments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
OK.. there's certainly a need for a spot where cruise gripes can be aired.
Me, being Mr. Positive, thought that right in the midst of the gripes, there should be a topic of favorite cruise moments. Sure, the gripes are easier to remember, and the favorite moments are harder to choose to from, but lets hear from other "glass is half full folks"......

I think my own favorite would be having a full and private breakfast on our balcony aboard the Seabourn Sun as we sailed into Villenfranche this past spring.

Another favorite was our very first Creamscicle Bash at the Marriott Marina where close to 100 Net Buddies, who had never previously met, showed up to share our pre cruise night. It's special, because it was the first, and since then I've had a chance to cru ise with many who I met that night.

Love to hear yours !!

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
CruiseMates.com
Kuki, I posted mine on your thread abotu this on the chit chat board-but I agree with you -I have no real cruise gripes- just sometimes a gripe with a fellow PAX-one thing for sure if I had crusie gripes I would not have taken 13 cruises in 9 years.

I say and I have run into a few people who disliked crusiing, if you really dislike crusing-don't cruise again.

For example, I no longer go to amusement parks. I don't enjoy them so why waste my money going to them. so if a person REALLY feels that way-why would that person continue to cruise.

I do enjoy this board here though-I like reading everyone's gripes. Good entertainment! Still, it is not going to turn me off crusing!
Old January 5th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Admiral

After more than twenty years of cruising in almost every corner of the world there have been so many memorable cruise moments it is hard to count them all. The beautiful homes on the little islands on the approach to Stockholm, entering the magnificent harbor at Sydney, the early morning light on ice bergs in Antarctica, cruising the Sea of Japan, Glacier Bay, Milford Sound, N.Z., Hong Kong and the river at Shanghai. A sunset at Bora Bora, the canoes at Christmas Island, the Panama Canal.

But my most memorable cruise moment has to be this one:

We were on Holland America’s Volendam on an East Caribbean cruise in 2000. We always choose the second seating for dinner to give time to clean up and relax after a day ashore. While my wife was getting ready for dinner I decided to take a little stroll up front just after the sail away from St. Lucia. The sun had just set. I found that I was able to get all the way forward on the promenade deck through the usual blocked doors, to the bow. We were cruising about 10 knots and there was a slight tail wind. I was ahead of the ship’s lights and only the people on the navigation bridge were seeing what I saw. The air was filled with stars and was a deep purplish black. That reflected on a calm sea the same color. At the same time, the sea was sparkling with phosphorescence everywhere! The stars and the phosphorescence blended so that you could not tell where the horizon was. The whole effect created a once in a lifetime mystical experience. It was as if I was floating silently in space among the stars of some distant galaxy. I will never forget it.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old January 5th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg
Kuki, I posted mine on your thread abotu this on the chit chat board-but I agree with you -I have no real cruise gripes- just sometimes a gripe with a fellow PAX-one thing for sure if I had crusie gripes I would not have taken 13 cruises in 9 years.

I say and I have run into a few people who disliked crusiing, if you really dislike crusing-don't cruise again.

For example, I no longer go to amusement parks. I don't enjoy them so why waste my money going to them. so if a person REALLY feels that way-why would that person continue to cruise.

I do enjoy this board here though-I like reading everyone's gripes. Good entertainment! Still, it is not going to turn me off crusing!
So what was your best cruise moment?

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old January 6th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Admiral

Richstacy, what a lovely post, thank you. I was there with you in your thought and your description I could see it as well.

Nice one, again thank you. Sometimes the experience of cruising is...
Old January 6th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I would have to say the being propositioned by a staff member would not sit well with me!!

As for moments, I can say that after not cruising for 15 years the first time you see the ship it blew my mind away at how large the ships have gotten. I went on the Holiday and it is only 46000 tonnes, the ship I was on for that was 2.5 times larger!!!

The last cruise was memorable because I went alone and was totally unihibited as to what I could do and spend!! The people at my table and the people I met made it a wonderful time!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old January 7th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg

So what was your best cruise moment?
I posted it on the chit chat board under "People" I guess Kuki wanted to post this in both places. So if you really want to know go there.
Old January 7th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Passenger

Best cruise moment is approching the Pyramids in Egypt from the bus a mile away. Also talking to all the Egyptian school at the pyramids.
Old January 7th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I don't really have any gripes and good times to numerous to list but first time sailing as a single again aboard the Sovereign of the Seas back in 2002 and meeting a single young lady the first afternoon in the pool led to "A Night to Remember" and has hooked me on cruising for good.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old January 8th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Admiral

Momofmeg, Kuki actually posted this back in Aug 2000, my fault, it was just me deep diving into the archives of Gripes to get some people talking on a real subject Nice post Kuki,

Dead easy to Gripe, maybe not so easy to share good experience for a lot of us, we tend to remember the bad and not the good.

DTW, you shared enough

ps
I am also fully aware that some of the people posting above have since left us, God bless them. But in some way their voice still carries on, thats cool with me, hope it is with you. its how I would want it to be.
Old January 9th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Admiral

My favorite cruise moment happened on the inside passage in Alaska. The ship was moving slowly and on either side of us were high mountains of lush green. The ocean was still and smooth as glass it was the color of sparkling emeralds. Mist of water from two humped back whales filled the air. The whales were swimming along side the ship. It was a peaceful scene. I can close my eyes in stressful times and be back there. I tried to find a picture to do it justice but I couldn't.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 10th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Admiral

Kat lady,
And I have friends who wonder why we want to cruise!!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old January 10th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
Momofmeg, Kuki actually posted this back in Aug 2000, my fault, it was just me deep diving into the archives of Gripes to get some people talking on a real subject Nice post Kuki,

Dead easy to Gripe, maybe not so easy to share good experience for a lot of us, we tend to remember the bad and not the good.

DTW, you shared enough

ps
I am also fully aware that some of the people posting above have since left us, God bless them. But in some way their voice still carries on, thats cool with me, hope it is with you. its how I would want it to be.
Okay I did not catch the date. Kuki has a CURRENT thread on the Chit-chat board asking for favorite crusie moments of 2007.

Since that was a celebration of our 25 th anniversary-that is still my favorite cruise.

Other wonderful moments was our very first cruise-just bec asue it was the first-the excitement of going-wonderful tablemates etc. another favorite crusie was when we took my sister on a 3 day Sovereign of the Seas. she had actually beenhurt at work and no way could she even afford that so we spring for her and she shared a room with our daughter, my husband and I were next door to them. so we did everything together and because my sister was so excieted I felt that "first cruise" excitment again.

Then there was our 2005 cruise when we met the Roloffs (of Little People Big World-this was actually before their show had debued but they told us about it coming up) on the Mariner of the Seas. I did not care for the voyager class ships at all-but I did enjoy meeting them plus lots of other LP. also on that crusie was a large group of fun red hat ladies!
Old January 10th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Admiral

A lot of good moments, but the one that stands out most in my mind is on on or 30th wedding anniversary DW and I were on the Radiance OTS that paticular day was a sea day we had a wonderful candelight dinner at Portofinos. That was great.