Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd
Amen to that. And someone said that they haven't tipped for the last 12 cruises! I would feel like a shoplifter.
kd, some cruise lines believe in paying their employees a good wage and include the full cost within the fares they charge; no tipping required.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old January 12th, 2008, 11:16 PM
First Mate

My apologies Marc. Most of us however, can't afford those lines. The mass market lines and the'premium' HAL and Celebrity still either charge you the $10 tip per day or suggest it. It was to those cruisers I would suggest that tipping is required in place of a decent wage.
Old February 14th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

So we just got off our 2nd cruise and to my understanding it is the Maitre D who assigns the dining room times and tables. Well for both of my cruises I have book about a year in advance, and have asked for the early dining time. On both cruises I have been given the late dining time. I understand when I book I only make a "request" and they cannot garentee anything, but I have to wonder in what order does the Maitre D make the dining room assignments, or is it just some computer program that assigns people, and the request is merly there to make people feel happy when they make the reservation?
Old February 14th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Admiral

I had a special request on the last cruise and the Maitre 'D took care of it to my pleasure. That was worth the tip.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 18th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Admiral

This is actually a really good conversation and I’m in proper reading mode tonight, and not in my usual speed-reading reaction.

Thasic, on the previous page made some great points as to why you should tip this guy or gal,,it made me think for a moment.

But my reality is with Marc, “some cruise lines believe in paying their employees a good wage and include the full cost within the fares they charge; no tipping required.?

And to be honest that does not mean moving up to ships or lines outwith a lot of peoples budgets, you pay the price up front, that’s it paid.

And then you get a reality check from AlaskanGrown, as to what these guys actually offer to you in the dining room. Well I’ve been there and placed the months in advance pre booked table for two that was confirmed by the system and the computer.

What happened it disappeared, as he the Maitre'D let it go after we did not turn up for our first nights dining. He totally ignored that I was jet lagged and ill, and no cabin call as to would we be taking up our table the next night… no thought as to why we are they not here, he just let it go to two gay blokes for the rest of the cruise… and the arrogant pig the next night tried to put the blame fully on me for the table loss, as I did not while ill call him,,,well that works two ways bud

You think I wanted to tip that guy after that?…No chance.

Yes, the computer sorts it all out, their supposed skill is to counter when the computer sorts people at tables that don’t work and to be able to undo it and place the moaners with others that can moan like them. They the moaners are the ones that should bung him, not me as they got his real reason for being there.
Old February 19th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I trimmed this thread because i do not appreciate one guest asking another guest to justify what they wrote in their posts. I am refering to the fact that David above said the table went to a gay couple.

The point is not that the couple was gay - it is just a detail in the story. The point of the entire message was that the table was given away to another couple.

If you see that as a gay slur then I suggest that either you are looking for fights to pick, or that you have a special sensitivity to anyone mentioning anything having to do with the gay lifestyle. In either case, our boards are not the place to discuss it.

Please do NOT steal threads and take them off topic by starting personal arguments in our boards. Thank you.
Old February 20th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Admiral

Thank you
Old February 21st, 2008, 08:53 AM
Admiral

Default Re: RE: Why tip the maitre d'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harriet
He had to check on the chef and kitchen help to make sure all foods If a luncheon buffet were being served and they were running out of Anyhow, it made us more determined than ever to pay at least the suggested tip to the maitre 'd. We always had before. We'll be even more sure to do so in the future.
I'm sure he does have to do all of those things, and probably more. However, his salary reflects that fact and thus, as far as I am concerned, unless I directly benefit from something he does for me ... such as ensuring a private function of mine goes well ... I don't feel the need to tip him a dime. First of all, on most of the ships that have auto-tips in place, a small percentage of that goes to the matri 'd anyway ... whether we like it or not. I don't see the need to give him extra. I'd rather keep anything extra I was planning to distribute and give it to the folks whose salaries don't come close to compensating them for the work they do ... such as the cabin stewards and waitstaff.

Sorry, that's just my opinion. I NEVER tip the matri 'd. He's management and he's paid for the work he does by the cruise line.

Blue skies ...

--rita