Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 18th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Familiar Face

I needed this thread. I cruised out of Miami once and thought the ship was full of rude jerks (most with a NY accent) ((since so much of FL IS NY now it makes sense)) I was thinking of booking a ship out of NY but was comparing those 2 NCL ships with RCI in Baltimore. All of my more southern departures have been pleasant. The Miami experience had me wondering but this thread has convinced me what I already knew.. NYer are nasty pushy rude (not to mention ignorant) people. They think the world revolves around them and dont even think some of their crap is rude. Its how they grew up, why would they know different. I grew up in Brooklyn NY. Every time I go home Im blown away how servers dont even look at you. Owners of establishments act like they are doing you a favor by being open and just try to merge your car in time for an exit- good luck. After reading this thread I will never cruise out of NY (or Miami) again.

Thank you- really.
PS- chair savers I have seen on ALL ships. But my saying has been from my first cruise- if you want to find all the jerks- go to the pool. Only line cutters Ive ever seen was the Miami departure.
Old January 18th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Admiral

On our recent cruise one of our dining companions was a bad sleeper & often would take a walk early AM, he said he would see people putting towels on beds from about 04-30 ish...now if that was me I would have waited 'til they were gone & took 'em off!
One gripe of mine is bars & coffee shops....people sitting there buying nothing but using a seat that others(me) want to use to have a coffee or a drink, oblivious...or just don't care? We had a lot of those who seem to think they can enter a lift before anyone gets out, those who will squeeze in where there is really no room. Food & plate fondling (usually) old ladies. People thinking, yes actually thinking, that saying ''I am a gold member you know'' makes any difference. One woman on a catamaran trip who pushed in on our lunch table saying ''I have to sit somewhere'' my wife had to sit on the steps with the plate on her lap...either that or kick the ignorant so-in-so into the sea!!
Old January 18th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyd1014 View Post
So what does everyone do when you go to sit on deck and all the chaise chairs are "being held" with a book and/or towel? I have seen this numerous times, found a seat elsewhere only to see the "saved seats" never occupied. I so want to move their stuff and sit down. Selfish and disrespectful to others, do you think?
My instinct & temperament dictate that I confront these people, remove the stuff then get into a fight over it....but you are on a cruise & you must leave this sort of thing to staff.. who don't care, so they get away with it.
Old January 18th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinTime View Post
I needed this thread. I cruised out of Miami once and thought the ship was full of rude jerks (most with a NY accent) ((since so much of FL IS NY now it makes sense)) I was thinking of booking a ship out of NY but was comparing those 2 NCL ships with RCI in Baltimore. All of my more southern departures have been pleasant. The Miami experience had me wondering but this thread has convinced me what I already knew.. NYer are nasty pushy rude (not to mention ignorant) people. They think the world revolves around them and dont even think some of their crap is rude. Its how they grew up, why would they know different. I grew up in Brooklyn NY. Every time I go home Im blown away how servers dont even look at you. Owners of establishments act like they are doing you a favor by being open and just try to merge your car in time for an exit- good luck. After reading this thread I will never cruise out of NY (or Miami) again.

Thank you- really.
PS- chair savers I have seen on ALL ships. But my saying has been from my first cruise- if you want to find all the jerks- go to the pool. Only line cutters Ive ever seen was the Miami departure.
As a former New Yorker, I really take exception to the above remarks. Your statements that all New Yorkers are "nasty, pushy, rude and ignorant" is really over the top. I would hope that the moderators would edit your post accordingly. To cast all New Yorkers in one category is ridiculous.
Old January 20th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Familiar Face

Talking This couple got theirs

1st cruise night in the theater a man sat in the 2nd seat and Wife in the 4th seat of the 1st row. As the theater filled, people would ask the man if he would move down one. His response was the seat is taken. No one occupied the 1st & 3rd seats all night. Same the following night and every night after. Then one night a comedian was on stage. He spotted the guy sitting with no one on either side and asked him if he let gas out. Comedian kept it up and finally asked where his Wife is. He pointed to the woman on the otherside of the empty seat, from there on the Comedian picked on the couple for the rest of his show. It was great. The couple did not show up or sat elsewhere in the theater the rest of the cruise.

Paul
Old January 21st, 2011, 04:23 PM
Admiral

This whole debate is no debate,,,in fact like most ‘gripes’; it is a reflection of our society and only a reflection of how for some reason 'some' people expect other people to be different or react ‘different’ when on a ship and be like them,,,,when actually at home it does not happen. Being ignorant, arrogant or a pain does not just suddenly happen when some peoples feet walk up a gangplank,,,they are already that way. By being on a ship is not going to make you a nice or social person in everyones eyes if you never had the skill in the first place!

However, you are sailing with nice people in the majority, courteous people but also the a**H**** will always be there and they are that either at home or away, so being on ship is not going to change that, its life, its cruising.

Being on a ship does not along with your tickets present you with people that think and act like you,,accept it and get on with your own cruise.

Me. I can ignore the aholes, they will not spoil my pleasure as I know they will be there on ship before my luggage hits the cabin, so set to ignore.

But I guess some are intimated by them, don’t be, as inside when confronted they are usually cowards and will back down.

Be a Scotsman for the day, a person presents something socially not right in your mind, just say ‘ I’m sitting here, and before you say anything else, whoever you booked the seat for can fight me for it when they turn up if it’s a problem’. Personally, I've never actually had to have that fight and the arrogant pig that thought all of what was presented was theirs to control have in reality just walked away... no doubt thinking that it was me that was in the wrong and socailly unacceptable,,but I can live with that,,,and I dont go to bed thinking ' I wish I had said'

Last edited by DayvidB; January 21st, 2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old January 29th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Familiar Face

Your opinion, and as a 'former' NYer myself MY OPINION stands. Besides, I didnt say "all" however you took offense, ok. I grew up there- 19 years of my life- I go back and visit. After 9-11 everyone blew me away with how they changed and were gracious and actually seemed to be turning a page. Then 2002 came and the flags came down and the attitude went right back to Me-me-me-not you- me. Sorry, opinions are what they are- its how I see it. I only find myself offended when someone starts off meaning to offend me personally. I wasnt talking to anyone specifically. Thanks.

Last edited by CruisinTime; January 29th, 2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old January 29th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinTime View Post
Your opinion, and as a 'former' NYer myself MY OPINION stands. Besides, I didnt say "all" however you took offense, ok. I grew up there- 19 years of my life- I go back and visit. After 9-11 everyone blew me away with how they changed and were gracious and actually seemed to be turning a page. Then 2002 came and the flags came down and the attitude went right back to Me-me-me-not you- me. Sorry, opinions are what they are- its how I see it. I only find myself offended when someone starts off meaning to offend me personally. I wasnt talking to anyone specifically. Thanks.
I guess that since I was a NY'er for more than 50 years makes a difference in my opinion. However, you are entitled to your's as well. That's what makes the world go 'round. And, yes, you did not say "all" so I stand corrected.
Old February 6th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Familiar Face

Do seats on excursion buses count? On a Med cruise it was a two hour bus ride into Rome, even before we left the dock there were arguments over "saved" seats. For crying out loud, we all went to the bus together, why couldn't the couples just board at the same time and sit next to each other? Worse, we exited the bus, toured and when we reboarded there were more fights about "savings seats" because some people left a book/sweater on their original seats and others felt reboarding meant they should be allowed to reselect seats. OMG, it almost became physical. I don't recall that kind of behavior on school buses when I was growing up.

Also, the people who leave books/towels/sunglasses on lounges for hours or in some cases (when it is only a towel) are never seen again.

Saving one seat in a theatre is acceptable because the other person may be at the bar or using the facilities but any more than one is unacceptable. If your group can't get there together and on time, sit in the crappy seats.
Old July 30th, 2013, 02:54 AM
Familiar Face

Some cruise ships have adopted a policy of removing items left on a chair by the pool for more then 30 minutes See Are You a Beach Chair Thief? You're Not Alone | ABC News - Yahoo!