Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 8th, 2000, 10:48 PM
Admiral

Default So how do we fix it? Saving Seats Continued...

I wrote to Royal complaining about the seat saving. They basically apologized and said there seemed to be little they could do about it. They said they make announcements but, like anything else, there will always be those that do not abide by the rules. They are called rule breakers, I call them jerks. My last cruise on Voyager had umpteen, oodles, loads of lounge chairs on the decks. Most of them and all of those near the main pool typically had a towel or a pair of sandals or a book or a magazine tossed on them in the usual "save a chair" fashion. We know that the typical problem is that maybe six chairs will be saved and there will be one person assigned to lounge on one chair with duties to bark away those that may try to use the "saved" lounge chairs that will never be used so you have to wander aimlessly about the boat for that chair that is nowhere near the pool and the activities. I think we should just take charge - if the boat folks are not going to stop it, we have to. Just toss their stuff on the deck and lay down. I say let's see if they have the guts to say something but do assume that if they are jerk enough to be so selfish and stupid in saving the chairs - they will undoubtedly say something to you. That's when I say - I appreciate your saving this chair for me.
Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2000, 09:23 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default RE: So how do we fix it? Saving Seats Continued...

I agree with you! Have a time limit on saving chairs, it isn't fair to the other passengers to have a book sitting on a prime chair for 8 hours just so some slob can sit in it for 15 minutes!!

I vote for "throw the book on the ground"
Old September 9th, 2000, 09:38 AM
hdawson

And then this bubba shows up who stands 6'8" and 350 well developed pounds
who thinks the cruiseline organized this cruise just for him. H E L P !!!!!!!!
Old September 9th, 2000, 08:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Will,
Wonder what they say next when you thank them for saving the chair?? I can just imagine???

Donnassei/Sealover
Old September 10th, 2000, 08:45 AM
thulewx

I remember reading in some board that one woman, when seeing a "saved chair" would get a large cup of ice water and "accidentally" spill it on their towel, sit back, and then watch them (if they ever came back) get "thrilled" when they sat down ;-)
Old September 10th, 2000, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Thulewx,
, I would love to have seen that!

Donnassei/Sealover
Old September 11th, 2000, 07:38 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

This is a great idea, but who would be stupid enough to sit on a towel soaked with ice water? However -- manywhen they see the soaking they will pick up the towel and toss and walk away to get a new towel - at that point you can get in the chair yourself.

I also advocate taking pictures of seat savers on ships that specifically say it is not allowed. I suggest waiting 1/2 an hour and if they don't show up move the book/towel and take the seat yourself. When they show up, take their picture and tell them you waited a 1/2 hour, that they were breaking the rules.

You don't have to specifically say that you have their picture as a record of who they are, they will figure out why you took it.
Old September 11th, 2000, 10:37 AM
Captain

Tell Bubba to take it up with the cruise personnel. If the policy is to not save chairs they can explain it to Bubba and take care of the problem. I doubt Bubba would be dumb enough to do anything other than complain and walk away.
Old November 21st, 2000, 05:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to ANITA

I don't know I have thought about this subject, and the only thing I can come up with is. Does it matter whether its shoes, towels or a person, that seats taken.
Old November 21st, 2000, 06:11 PM
Admiral

Hi Anita,
If its a person, that means someone is actually using the chair. If its a book or shoes, towel, etc. doesn't mean that person is actually even near the pool or the chair and someone else could be using it? I've seen people come down at 8 in the AM to put "stuff" on a row of 10 chairs to save for the whole family, who may or may not show up to use the chairs for hours. I think that is what most of us griping about the chairs, are referring to. I know this is a sore subject for some of us, but I'm one of those that does go down to the pool after breakfast and actually uses a chair. Even though my husband may stop by for awhile and sit with me, I don't just save a chair for when he does come, thats just not fair, when someone else could certainly use it.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old November 27th, 2000, 03:19 PM
Yeoman

I saw on the Dawn Princess a person assigned to collect towels left on the chairs. I'm not sure how he knew which ones were not occupied but he knew. We did not have a problem ever finding deck chairs together for the 4 of us. Princess also makes a note of it in the "Princess Patter"
Bob
Old November 29th, 2000, 04:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

We just got back from our cruise on Celebrity's Galaxy. My partner and I usually did not have any problems finding chairs since he likes the sun and I prefer the shade. I did notice there were times when it would have been hard to find any deck chairs together.

The problem I noticed on the Galaxy was people leaving their towels in chairs when they had no intentions on returning. Since we had late seating, we were able to enjoy the pool area up until 7:30 or 8:00 each night. A couple of the pool staff would start cleaning up the leftover towels around 7:00. We had to make sure to leave something on top of our towels to make sure they did not take them away.

Jack
Old December 6th, 2000, 07:52 PM
addicted2cruising

Yep, we experienced the worse seat saving on a cruise on RCCL Monarch of the Seas. The Oriental's seemed to be the worse at ticking people off, and not caring how many people they ticked off, so long as they got what they wanted. They didn't care that others were on vacation there too!
Old January 3rd, 2001, 09:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

Recently returned from the Destiny where Seat Saving on the deck was in abundance. It was every man/woman for himself/herself. So while I hate the concept of seat saving was sure happy when my friend who woke up at 7am just to get seats said when I arrived on the lido deck "we saved you four seats" While I didn't see any fights, I also didn't see any Carnival staff removing towels from chairs that were obviously left empty for hours. I don't agree with the concept of saving seats but what would you do if you get up early and want to save two seats for your husband or children who haven't either gotten up or eaten yet? Trust me lots of people stay on the lido deck on days at sea.
Old January 5th, 2001, 01:01 PM
addicted2cruising

We agree, it was the norm when walking by the pool first thing in the morning on the lido deck on the way to the breakfast buffet, to see books and towels placed on chairs to save their prime spots for the day knowing well the people won't show up for those chairs until after lunch.
Old January 5th, 2001, 03:25 PM
Johnny Mondo

Default Can you say...

...BUBBA OVERBOARD!!!
Old January 5th, 2001, 03:46 PM
Admiral

Default RE: Can you say...

OK, Johnny,
I'll bite, who is Bubba?

Donnassei
Old January 5th, 2001, 04:15 PM
Captain

Bubba is mentioned by hdawson. He is the 6 foot 8 inch 350 pound person saving the seats.
Old January 5th, 2001, 04:27 PM
Admiral

Hi Peb,
Thanks for filling me in, think I've seen him around on my last cruise, doing just that, gosh how could I forget :-)

Donnassei
Old January 9th, 2001, 11:34 AM
Johnny Mondo

Default Bubba is also...

<font color=blue><h2>... an 8’ 11 ˝” Antarctic aquatic fowl who takes delight in harassing otherwise fun-loving sea-goers. Don’t let his formal nighttime attire deceive you…he’s NO GENTLEMAN!!</h2></font>
Perhaps I need a vacation?...say, Feb 18 on the Elation!!!
-jm
Old January 9th, 2001, 07:43 PM
Admiral

Default RE: Bubba is also...

Hi JM,
If you feel like me and the winter we've been having, think we are both ready to cruise. Unfortunately I have a much longer wait than U. Still 102 days left, but I'm reaching the 100 day mark rather quick, just not quick enough. Have a wonderful time on Elation!

PS: watch out for Bubba!

Donnassei
Old January 10th, 2001, 09:45 AM
Captain

I am also ready for a vacation but not due to winter. I live for winter. 42 days to Hawaii and 134 to Alaska.
Old January 10th, 2001, 09:56 AM
Admiral

Hi Peb,
Really don't need a specific reason for cruising, just can't get enough of it myself
:-) I like it that you have the "back-up" cruise all ready booked, way to go!

DOnnassei
Old March 12th, 2001, 11:41 AM
Ain't Bubba but near as B

I ain't Bibba but I wil be on the Voyager in June. If I want a pool chair or a theater chair and some fool has it saved I will sit my big fat ass in it and say "thanks for saving it for me"
I won't have any problems.