Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 5th, 2000, 12:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default "Free Upgrade"

We booked an outside cabin. The cruise line upgraded us to a standard cabin with balcony. We were thrilled. They subsequently lowered their price on our original catagory $700 per person. However we could not take advantage of paying the lower price because of our "free upgrade". It was either downgrade to our original catagory and receive the $700 per person price reduction or keep our "free upgrade" that now is actually costing us $700 per person extra. When we inquired about our original cabin choice (center of the ship), it was now "best available in that catagory" which was the very front of the ship. So we've decided to pay the price and stay with the upgrade. The policy of the TA is to meet all price reductions but says this is the policy of the cruise line and their hands are tied. Do I have reason to gripe or is this standard policy from a major cruise line?
Sponsored Links
Old October 5th, 2000, 12:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default RE: "Free Upgrade"

on mu lat two cruises i have booked guarantee cabin, and on these last two cruises I have been upgraded, and also received refunds because the cruise lines have dropped their prices. On my cruise I will be taking in two weeks I received $800 back and on my last cruise in July $400. I would check with your TA
Old October 8th, 2000, 11:33 AM
Yeoman

The one and only time we ever received an upgrade, our TA called and gave us a choice to accept the offer. I think she did this since I had selected a specific cabin.
Old October 10th, 2000, 08:42 PM
sea lady

did your ta have a lowest price guarantee??? if so go back to them. I booked a guarantee 2 weeks befor the cruise date... inside or outside... got an inside... tried to change at the pier and they wanted $150.00... I have 2 problems with that... first I had an inside or outside guarantee and they obviously had outside cabins available.... my second problem with them was that this was my 3rd cruise this year with them and they gave outside cabins to others with the same guarantee but not to me a good customer....I don't think that there is any equity with the rates and cabins... buyer beware
Old October 15th, 2000, 08:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for advice. I did contact my TA and they said the "major" cruise line replied, "When a client receives an upgrade, any subsequent promotion must be in the upgraded catagory and not in the originally booked catagory." We booked a JJ catagory and were upgraded to a BB. So to qualify for the K thru LL promotion, we would have to be downgraded back to our original catagory. Our "free upgrade" now is costing us $700 each, $1400 total. We feel just because the cruiseline decided to upgrade us, this should have no bearing on whether we qualify for a refund. We sail in 2 1/2 weeks so I guess this is a lesson to be learned about upgrades.
Old October 16th, 2000, 08:42 PM
sea lady

very interesting... wondered why the cruise lines were so "generous " with upgrades... guess that you explained it... I'm sure that you will have a great cruise... if anything is relaxing and a way to get away from the world... cruising is it!!!
Old November 9th, 2000, 10:13 AM
test

test
Old November 9th, 2000, 10:14 AM
test

test
Old November 9th, 2000, 10:14 AM
test

test
Old January 29th, 2001, 05:00 PM
Passenger

I had a similar problem with NCL, I hadn't gotten an upgrade, but the cost of my cabin went down in price by $150 pp but because we are sailing in less than 60 days they will not refund the difference.

NCL has a new policy-effectice last October that says you can not get a refund for a lower price if you are sailing in less than 60 days!