Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 1st, 2000, 12:25 AM
Admiral

Default Coffee!

I admit I'm an addict, but my biggest complaint is not being able to have a cup of coffee delivered to the cabin the day of disembarkation. If ever one needs a bit of cafeen it's the last morning, when we get up early. We're paying for seven days of service and we're entitled to this.

Also, the quality of coffee on some cruise lines is dreadful, especially on Princess and Royal Caribbean. It's made with syrup and is identical to the dreadful stuff served on airplanes. Carnival shelled out $250,000 per ship for machines that brew each pot individually. So, why can't Princes and Royal Caribbean give you something decent to drink?
Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2000, 09:44 AM
hdawson

Default RE: Coffee!

Anne, thanks for this post. Ship's coffee is a major gripe for me. Even on my recent Century cruise it took a full two days to get used to the coffee. When every thing else from the kitchen is so very good, why this terrible coffee substitute? First thing I did when I got to St Johns was stop and have 3 cups of real and satisfying coffee. Glad you recognized this shortcoming too.
Old November 1st, 2000, 06:49 PM
Judy Lofland

Amen to the above. Absolutely worst coffee I ever tasted except the time I ordered "black coffee" in New Orleans. Big mistake, the spoon stood straight up in the middle of the cup. I swear I am going to carry those coffe bags that you brew like a tea bag on my next cruise. Hot water is available and all I will need is to pull the little bag out of my purse. Thanks Anne for the post.

Judy
Old November 2nd, 2000, 05:53 PM
TWOFER

I also agree with all these posts about the coffee. I let Princess know that my only suggestion would be better coffee and that Carnival had better.. As for the coffee in the individual bags,IMHO, don't! The coffee on board was even better!
Old November 6th, 2000, 07:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

OK. So tell me, a coffee snob who only drinks brewed decaf that I won't be totally disgusted by coffee on the Carnival Destiny. Also, how's the cappucino?
Old November 7th, 2000, 01:15 PM
Dawn Stefano

Judy:

Great idea about the bags! I'll have to remember that next time.

New Orleans coffee is outrageously strong due to the addition of chicory. To me, the only palatable way to drink it is to order it "au lait." That's half coffee and half steamed milk. Throw in a couple of beignets and you've got a little taste of heaven!

Dawn
Old November 18th, 2000, 11:50 AM
First Mate

Anne, is the coffee any better in the coffee and pastry shop aboard Princess< maybe I could take my thermos coffee cup and get it filled there before going for lunch etc. just a thought. jean
Old November 20th, 2000, 06:20 PM
TWOFER

I thought that it was on the Crown. Don't know if they will fill anything but the usual cups that they serve. Worth a try.
Old November 28th, 2000, 10:32 AM
emgrace

There is something else we all could try for good coffee. I know that Starbucks sells these small, individual coffee brewers. it looks like two small plastic cups with a metal screen inside. I got one for a gift a few years ago and it worked great. If you all have a Starbucks nearby you may want to check it out and see if they still sell them. I don't think they cost very much. Now that I have heard how terrible the coffee is on RCL, I might have to bring mine along!
Old November 29th, 2000, 01:30 PM
Yeoman

Hi: We just got Dawn Princess last week. They must have improved their coffee as was great. We walked to the Horizon Ct on Sat am for that last cup of coffee as we watched people leave and while we waited for our turn.
Old December 1st, 2000, 12:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

One of the more pleasant experiences we had on the Westerdam last year was the coffee machines that were available 24/7 for espresso, capuccino, latte, etc. Since I only drink "black coffee" -- no milk, cream or sugar to mask it -- lousy coffee can truely make a great dinner go downhill in a flash! Drinking black double espressos on board, though, was one of the niceitys . A great way to wake up in the AM and a nice cap off to dinner, as well as a great pick-me-up during the day. Even my hubby, who can usually take coffee or leave it, really got into his AM cafe latte and evening capuccino. So I am looking forward to these same machines being available on the Rotterdam -- we leave next weekend for a 10 day cruise. Can't wait!
Old December 1st, 2000, 01:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Jules,
Wow, I really like that idea, wish the other lines would join and have that coffee available all day.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old December 18th, 2000, 05:19 PM
Janman

We have taken those Starbuck (brew your own) mugs on a Princess cruise-also a 2 person French press. Boy did we get stares of jealousy! Even from crew members. Traveling on Celebrity in a couple of weeks with some friends who also have their French press packed.
Janet
Old January 4th, 2001, 07:59 PM
jeanuk

just returned from a xmas cruise on Ocean Princess, anyone who drinks coffee PLEASE take your own with you, the coffee on board was awful, I wasn`t sure if I was drinking coffee, tea, cocoa or gravy!!! you can purchase a decent cup of cappuchino, latte or espresso in the patisserie for $2 and up but that gets expensive after a while, jean
Old January 6th, 2001, 12:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Really sorry to read that. Haven't been on Princess yet, and this may sway me not to. Recently returned from the Rotterdam and those wonderful coffee machines were there (see my post below). Staff fills the top with whole coffee beans and the machine grinds as needed -- wonderful espresso, latte, cappuccino and even plain old plain old. Sure was an added plus to our cruise, if it seems that most other lines do not have these machines on board...
Old January 20th, 2001, 08:34 PM
BEAV

I'm a Starbucks addict! I grind a pound of coffee before I leave home and actually tote a small coffee maker in my carry-on. This way I have my kind of coffee in the morning, all in the comfort of my robe & cabin! The closest thing I can get to Starbucks while on board a ship is to order capaccino. What they call "coffee" in the buffet, dining room is just darkend water to me!!
Old September 1st, 2004, 05:53 PM
JImeeee4

Default Re: Coffee!

Several Princess cruises we have been on (18 in all) The cofee was lousy but the atrium bar brewd fresh cofee and had pastries. I think the cofee was actually brewd for cofee type drinks, but they never refused us.....enjoy.
Old September 1st, 2004, 09:05 PM
First Mate

I hate to admit this, but I am a coffee snob. So needless to say, I was worried about my 'coffee fix' before my Carnival cruise last month. I was pleasantly surprised with how good the coffee was. And, I was able to order it from room service whenever I wanted it (even on the last day).
Old September 1st, 2004, 09:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

To confirm what jeleja said - we had a pot of coffee delivered to room the morning of debarkation, but they may have just changed the policy since this original post was made almost 4 years ago.

Old September 1st, 2004, 09:27 PM
Admiral

I am with jeleja and Jodi..we had coffee via room service on the last morning too..and the coffee was good..a little strong but good.

Old September 2nd, 2004, 06:40 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Coffee!

The coffee on RCCLs Enchantment was decent as of the 8/21/2004 sailing. I beleive they are serving Seattle's Best throughout the ship, if not it is a good blend. They also have a Seattle's Best coffee bar on deck 6.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old September 2nd, 2004, 12:23 PM
ehogan

Boy do I relate to this gripe!

We are used to great coffee on the West Coast and we have been taking our small espresso machine with us on all our vacations for the past 10 years. It is the first thing that goes into our suitcase- (along with our thermal mugs to take coffee on deck). For the first few years, it was always given a careful once over by customs, but I guess now it is so common they don't even blink a eye.

You used to be able to get nice coffee (espresso, cappo, latte) with dinner at no extra charge on Carnival but I think they are the only ones that do that - and since our last cruise with them was 2002, maybe they have stopped that too.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 01:01 PM
Admiral

I hated it, but had to *buy* coffee from the speciality coffee bar/pastry shop. The regular brewed coffee was AWFUL on the Fantasy.

I like mine black and strong.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old September 2nd, 2004, 02:52 PM
JaneMarlow

Makes me glad I quit coffee in 2000!
Old September 2nd, 2004, 03:04 PM
Admiral

Cant stand coffee, we should have thrown it all into the bay at Boston many, many, years ago <g>

The wee Brit DavyB
Old September 2nd, 2004, 03:45 PM
Admiral

Dorothy? you should have liked the coffee on the Fantasy..That is the one we were on and I liked it..just a little strong for the wife though..Hmmm..got me there.

Old September 2nd, 2004, 06:45 PM
ptime

funny things this gripe from 2000
Old September 2nd, 2004, 09:40 PM
Admiral

Oh Welllll..the thread is old but the coffee is fresh..>G<

Old September 3rd, 2004, 08:36 AM
Admiral

Maybe I just got a bad cup, BigJohn. Of course, what a normal person thinks is strong and what *I* think is strong.....

Anyway, I'm trying the FREE coffee on the Glory.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old September 3rd, 2004, 11:29 AM
Admiral

Dorothy..true,true..I am use to that truck driver coffee..you know the kind that talks to you and wakes you up..>G<