Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 1st, 2000, 11:37 AM
HannaS77

Default Informative TV FILM DOCUMENTARY ON CRUISE SHIPS

On October 28, I saw a documentary on the cruise lines on Arts & Entertainment Channel, (A &E) that is worthwhile for others to review. The documentary is by Bill Curtis , "Investigative Reports" The program was based on articles by Douglas Franz in the New York Times and others covering such subjects as Rapes & Thefts Aboard Cruise Ships by Crewmembers, Medical Attention (or lack of adequate), Why Cruise ships Fly Foreign Flags of Convenience; and Safety At Sea. A VCR tape of the program is available from A & , tel 800-423-1212. It ain't cheap)19.95 +ship &handle) but well worth the money. No, I do not work for or promote A & E. For those interested in cruising, this is a must see film.
Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2000, 06:45 PM
Judy Lofland

Default RE: Informative TV FILM DOCUMENTARY ON CRUISE SHIP

I also saw this show and I found it to be rather biased. I feel that some of the dissatisfied passengers expected an awful lot more from the cruise lines than is reasonable. In the case of the man who died from internal bleeding, he had a condition that could have caused his death anywhere, not just on the ship. Some of those folks seemed to think that the ships should be equipped to cover just about any emergency imaginable. That does not seem to be practical.

Imagine the cruise lines registering in the US and paying all of our taxes, complying with so many of our restrictive policies, and hiring more US workers. Can you guess what the price of your cruise would be? I would venture a guess that most of us could not afford to cruise except maybe every ten years or so.

Bottom line IMO is prudence on the part of the passenger.

Judy
Old November 2nd, 2000, 09:03 AM
hdawson

The show is an expose` and nothing more. An expose` only shows one side of a subject and expose`s sell advertising. However, they did have to admit that cruising is extremely safe. Probably more safe than anyother form of vacation travel. A cruise has more and better facilities for your enjoyment and safety than any town of 3,000-4,000 people that Ive seen. And that is what it is. A floating town. I am still waiting for someone to tell me of a safer form of vacationing. I take expose`s with a grain of salt.
Old November 2nd, 2000, 05:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

All the points brought up in the show could actually happen on any kind of vacation, land or sea. I actually feel a bit safer on a cruise ship than some
resort somewhere. Here is another good reason to always travel with insurance, you just never know.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old November 2nd, 2000, 05:45 PM
RoboCop

It's also very biased against the cruise industry. If they told the complete truth then this show would be rather boring so they have spiced it up a great deal and, well, let's just say it has been embellished a bit. Did they lie? Well no, but they certainly made many misleading statements. Cruising is the safest vacation that anyone can possibly take, bar none.
Jim
Old November 19th, 2000, 01:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the info, I plan to check it out