Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 29th, 2000, 05:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default No Smoking

We just returned from the 11/18 sailing of Celebrity's Galaxy. I was irritated by the smokers who smoked on the no-smoking side of the ship. But my biggest complaint was that crew members would let them. I reminded a couple of smokers that they were on the wrong side. Everyone cooperated politely. I also noticed, however, bar servers taking drink orders and serving drinks to people smoking on the wrong side and other ship crew members walking by violators. I mentioned it on a comment card but doubt that will do any good.

Jack
Sponsored Links
Old December 28th, 2000, 06:59 PM
chefgarden

Default RE: No Smoking

What HARM came to you from this "wrong sided " smoking?????
Old December 29th, 2000, 10:40 AM
Captain

I do not know what harm may have come to Jack but I would also inform people they were in a non-smoking area. Being a non smoker myself the smoke can really bother me. Smoke bothers my wife more than it bothers me. If I choose to enter a smoking area I take the responsability but if I am in a non-smoking area I expect non-smoking. I have no problem with people who want to smoke but please smoke in the proper area.
Old December 30th, 2000, 02:29 PM
RoboCop

It is more a matter of being polite and respecting others. I used to smoke, quite heavily really, but always tried to respect others and not bother them. I quit almost 10 years ago and in the last couple of years smoke bothers me quite a bit and makes me choke and feel ill. I realize that is my cross to bear, probably because I used to smoke as it seems to affect ex-smokers more than those that have never smoked, but I would also expect that smokers follow the rules about non-smoking designated areas. No 'feel-good' or 'political correctness' involved, just good old-fashioned manners.
Jim
Old January 5th, 2001, 02:24 AM
ciberbabe

I agree respect no smoking areas as people are very sensitive to smoke and perfume. I suffer terribly and really feel it only fair to share the air I choose. Thanks!
Old January 7th, 2001, 10:53 AM
rsawick

Like RoboCop, I am one of those individuals who is sickened by wafting tobacco smoke. Smoking is an addiction and I hardly need to highlight the health risks associated therewith. Like any other addiction if you want to smoke or shoot up, at least have the courtesy to do so behind your own closed doors. I do not want my grandchildren to see you parading about the decks as if this was some sort of normal behavior. It is not. I hope you can beat your addiction as it will in time, surely beat you.
Old January 10th, 2001, 05:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Chefgarden: You ask what harm came to me from folks smoking on the wrong side. Hopefully no lasting harm. But smoke does cause me minor irritation--I sneeze and my throat gets scratchy. Other people have more serious immediate reactions to second-hand smoke.

Jack
Old January 15th, 2001, 07:14 PM
chefgarden

I think non smokers should get a life and move on!! There are bigger problems in life.... really. Jack, your stress is probably more likely to kill you than second hand smoke.
I am now a non-smoker and I don't like when people blow smoke literally in my face...but hey, outside, what's the big deal...I can smell it...but the smoke disipates quickly..or I walk onThis should not be an issue.

A smoker lighting up after dinner in the non-smoking restaurant is an issue.

So a smoker got confused , while going OUT ON DECK TO SMOKE ..and walked on the wrong side...a cig lasts only a few minutes. I did not find it well posted. When this happened to me, a jogger complained...well, guess what the jogging hour had passed...so we BOTH were violating rules. People should just lighten up..I bet you do something that is very annoying, that would repulse me....to the point of being sick...but because that thing may not be a big political issue...too bad Helen !
Old January 19th, 2001, 12:16 PM
Admiral

To Chefgarden: Inhaling secondhand smoke hurts my lungs & makes me feel like I am being poisoned. You said that non-smokers should "get a life". I would like to KEEP MY LIFE!! I can understand it when someone accidentally lights up & smokes on the wrong side of the ship. Its not just outside on the decks but inside in the lounges. When you tell them (nicely, of course) that they are on the non-smoking side, they just laugh in your face, ignore you & continue their smoking. I wonder if you can understand their rudeness, since you seem so insensitive to this problem.
Old January 28th, 2001, 10:56 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Mark Send a message via Yahoo to Mark
Default Re: No Smoking

get a life. you anti smokers think you rule the world. i have never been on the deck of ship where the air was stagnet. maybe lock yourself in your cabin or something. By the way, try a smoke free ship like Paradise. I guess you would complain about the smell of the salty air.
Old February 11th, 2001, 03:16 PM
jreeves

How did I manage not to get ivolved in this argument?
Old February 28th, 2001, 08:55 AM
Doug R.

We have a very nice and healthy life. If you smokers don't have a clue by now you never will. My only satisfaction when one of you violates my space with your noxious fumes is that you are slowly going broke at $5 a pack. I do not want to hear any sob stories about how difficult it is to quit. I smoked three packs a day for 23 years and was the worlds happiest smoker. I had no desire or inclanation to quit. I have now been clean for over 10 years. Have a happy time committing long term suicide, just don't do it in my face.

Doug <---who once swore he wouldn't be one of those obnoxious born again non-smokers
Old February 28th, 2001, 06:50 PM
Sue B

Doug, I am adding my two cents and support your efforts. I am proud to be a non-smoker and am offended by the attitude that I need to deal with smelling and breathing cigarette/cigar smoke. Smoking is a habit that should not be socially excepted in any public areas , just as being loud or obnoxious are. My family and I have cruised the Paradise and it truly lives up to its' name. In fact, my husband and I are sailing with her again in a couple of weeks. I hope Carnival and other lines are listening, as there are alot of tried and true non-smokers who are wanting to spend their money on what makes them happy. Of course, this also applies to those who enjoy smoking. Go for it ! But not in my space. I am not harming anyones health by not smoking, however, it is different the other way around and that is simply not right.
Cruiser Sue
Old April 4th, 2001, 07:53 PM
Admiral

I have cruised 3 times before with RCCL and never noticed that there was a "smoking and non smoking" side on deck. So it can't be very well marked or let known. It is just nice to get a deck chair!
Old April 8th, 2001, 09:46 PM
Jim Munkittrick

I do believe that we should give the DEATH PENALTY to anyone that choses to exercise their own personal right of choice. I know, I know, the "science" used by the EPA to condemn second hand smoke has been proven to be wrong, but I still believe that if we started executing their people by Keelhauling them..at least one passenger per cruise, then we could get on with the business of castigating those people that use SALT or SUGAR or are more than 5% over weight or come from the WRONG part of the country or might be foreigners! (we gotta stop them people!!!)
It is time we start making EVERYONE think one way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:-)
Old July 5th, 2001, 11:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

there are smoking and non-smoking sides on RCCL -- believe me, you know it if you smoke. i don't mind smoking outside or on my side...so if you don't smoke, don't come over to the smoking side and complain!!!!
Old August 3rd, 2001, 03:51 AM
militiant non-smoker

Mark:

Are you even old enough to smoke? Remember, you have to be 18!

We have the right to breath non-ashtray-smelling air. Just as you have the right to kill yourself and smell like an ashtray. Here's some advice: Get over yourself! I'd like to see your attitude when that high horse you're on rides you to an early grave.