CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Travel Gripes! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/)
-   -   tipping (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/294811-tipping.html)

Cole December 29th, 2000 05:06 PM

tipping

I read of the boards regarding the $6.50 per day mandatory charge that princess will be charging to shipboard account starting January and I was wondering if i should tip at all now. I am sailing on the Ocean princess in april. Also, who also gets tipped besides the cabin steward and the maitre d?

Donna December 29th, 2000 05:17 PM

RE: tipping

Hi Cole,
You also tip the assistant waiter, (usually half the amount of the waiter). You tip the waiter also. There is some debate about tipping the maitre d, most agree that unless he does something above and beyound the normal duties, that it its required. What tips does that $6.50 cover, do you know? I did hear something about this, but don't have all the details. BTW, cruised on Ocean earlier in the year and absolutely love that ship, enjoy.

Donnassei

Paul Motter January 10th, 2001 08:10 PM

$6.50 per day isn't much. Are you sure that doesn't include the waiter and the steward? Most people also tip the busboy. Most do NOT tip the maitre D' unless he does you a favor.

jeanuk January 15th, 2001 11:39 AM

the 6.50 per day is for the DR waiter and bus boy combo, this is due to the new policy of eating where you want and with whoever you want as opposed to set DR times and tables, it doesn`t include anyone else,eg. room stewards, head waiters etc. we were on the xmas sailing of the Ocean Princess and this new plan wasn`t in place yet, thank goodness, I strongly object to adding tips automatically before you even know if there is good service and would advise everyone to have these tips removed by the pursers office, it gives no incentive for the staff to give good service as we found in the open seating policy for b/fast and lunch.....very lacksadaisicle(sp) I prefer to hand my tips personally to whomever I decide to tip, having them charged to your sign and sail card does not guarantee them getting to the right people, ...jean

Wendy January 22nd, 2001 10:29 PM

On Carnival its $9.75 per day/per person. This is for your waiter, bus boy and cabin stewart. Envelopes were left in your cabin and you handed the individual envelopes to these people during the dinner on your last night. I had no problem at all. The service was great, and the staff was a delight but... I've just heard that Carnival is starting to charge the tip on your sail card when you board. This I have a problem with.

hdawson January 30th, 2001 09:12 AM

I suggest everyone, upon boarding, having the gratuities removed from their Sail and Sign Card and tipping in the more personal and traditional manner for service "received", not anticipated. Also suggest everyone note your objection to the automatic tipping on your exit comment cards.

BILL POWELL February 15th, 2001 05:21 PM

My plans exactly. Board, visit purser have "automatice tips" removed and then tip traditional. I really obeject to Princess moving their guideline up 36% from $4.75 for waiter and assistnat waiter to $6.50 for all "dining personnel". BTW I usually tip at a lvel at least twice the guidlines. So the Amount isn't in questions the "mandatory" nature is the problem.

eeinusa February 25th, 2001 02:24 PM

Re: tipping

I thought I saw something on the most recent CruiseMates newsletter on this ... if I remember correctly, the new tipping policy applies only to the Grand at this time. You might want to check out the newsletter for more information.