Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 18th, 2001, 02:44 PM
Cathy LaPore

Default DO NOT USE CRUISE HOLIDAYS IN CUPERTINO, CA

Hello,

I wanted to let everyone out there who likes to take cruises not to ever book your cruise through Cruise Holidays in Cupertino. We went through them and they booked us on a different cruise than what we payed for and were not willing to do anything to make up for it. By the time we found out we were sailing to a different location than what we payed for we had already payed for Non refundable plane tickets to get to the port we were leaving from. The travel agent (Tom) was not willing to pay for
the cost to cancell or change the plane tickets. We requested a cabin upgrade to make up for the fact that they had completely messed up and they put us in the worst cabin on the ship (1A with bunk beds) So if you are thinking about booking a cruise do NOT go through these people!

Thanks,

Cathy
Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2001, 04:16 PM
chefgarden

Default Re: DO NOT USE CRUISE HOLIDAYS IN CUPERTINO, CA

Cathy....have you contacted the Better Business Bureau??...Perhaps someone on this site can advise you if there is some "Cruise Overseer Organization" to contact as well. What cruise line was this??
I'm not totally sure I understand the situation....you booked air transport to the "correct" embarkation city but they switched ships on you, thus taking you to a different destination..is that correct????
I hope you were able to get over the stress of this and at least enjoy your cruise...allbeit in a crummy cabin! So sorry. Helen
Old January 19th, 2001, 10:26 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Of course, to be fair we should invite the cruise agency to respond. Possibly you were booked on a ship that has alternating itineraries and you got on the wrong week? I don't understand about the cabin, though. You should get what you pay for. Did you actually get a lesser category than what you paid for? It is my understanding that the payment goes directly to the cruise line, so if they book a different cabin that what you paid for it should be very easy to trace that.
Old January 25th, 2001, 05:38 AM
Admiral

Cruise Holidays is one agency that has a long history -- you must have had a bad agent. Have you complained to the local Better Business Bureau in the city you live in? This frequently gets results.
Old January 26th, 2001, 04:01 PM
Cathy LaPore

Hello Everyone,

I have been getting several responses on this, thank you! I wanted to clear up some questions people have, so here is the full story of what happened:
My
brother and I went through a travel agent from Cruise Holidays named Tom.
We called Tom in April and said we wanted to go on an Eastern Caribbean
Cruise and we had a certain budget to work with. My brother Keith told him
that we did not want a Western Caribbean cruise because he had already been
on that and did not like the itinerary. Tom found us an Eastern Caribbean
Cruise in our price range leaving on Jan 21. So we went ahead and put the
down payment on the cruise and booked it. This was in April of 2000. Tom
faxed us a confirmation that stated we were going on a Caribbean Cruise but
it did not say East or West. In August of 2000, due to some scheduling
conflicts that arose when my brother took on a new job position, we had to
move the sailing date out a week to Jan 28. Keith called Tom and asked if
we could do this. He also asked if it would increase the cost since we
were pushing the date out. Tom said that this would not be a problem at
all and that we could go on the same ship for the same price. What Tom
failed to mention was that the itinerary was not an Eastern Caribbean
cruise (which is what we specifically had asked for and already put the
deposit on) Tom faxed us confirmation at that time that stated the new
date for the cruise, but again it just stated "Caribbean Cruise". So Keith
and I booked our flights to fly to Miami and figured we were all set. Two
weeks later, after we had made our final payment for the cruise Tom left a
voice mail for me at work. The voice mail stated "By the way, the cruise
that leaves on Jan 28 is not an Eastern Itinerary, it is a Western
Itinerary...but I am sure you will like it." At this point we were stuck
because we already had non refundable plane tickets. We called Tom and
said that we had specifically told him that we didn't want a Western
Caribbean cruise in the beginning and that we would like him to put us on
an Eastern Caribbean cruise for that weekend since we were locked in to
that date due to the plane tickets. Tom said there was another ship that
was doing an Eastern Caribbean itinerary for that weekend and that he would
try to put us on that. We called him every couple days for two or three
weeks and every time he would tell us "I'm working on it". He finally
called us and said that we would not be able to switch to the ship sailing
East because it was more money (about 100.00 more a person). We were not
willing to pay any more money and Tom was not willing to make up the
difference so I gave him the option of refunding our plane tickets so we
could go on an Eastern Caribbean cruise that was the price we wanted when
the next one was available. Tom was not willing to do this either.
Finally we resolved that we were stuck going on a Western Caribbean cruise,
but still felt we should be compensated for the mistake our travel agent
made. We asked if he could give us a cabin upgrade. We said we didn't
care what floor we were on and that it didn't have to be a fancy cabin, we
just wanted to have a window in our cabin. Tom said that shouldn't be a
problem. Once again for a full month we called Tom several times a week and his response was "I am working on it". Now it is a little over a week before the cruise and we have just found out we are not even going to get the cabin upgrade we requested.
Old January 26th, 2001, 07:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Cathy, give us a report when you get back. I hope this doesn't end up to be a "cruise from hell" for you!
Old February 8th, 2001, 07:11 PM
BEAV

My only question to is you how did a Western vs. Eastern Caribbean sailing affect your airline tickets to Miami? I'm assuming the ship sailed from Miami no matter whether it was on an Eastern or Western itinerary. Am I missing something?
Old February 12th, 2001, 11:27 PM
Bob from PA

Yes, Beav, I think so....

Although the ship was not identified, it is customary for most of the Carriberanb 7-day cruises from south Florida to alternate eastern Carib (one week) and western Carib (the next). So, the air arrangements w
ere for the wrong week.

Bob fvrom PA
Old April 27th, 2001, 09:18 PM
First Mate

Cruise Holidays in Seattle and Bellevue, WA is just as bad. The first year they booked us on the wrong cruise. When we received the paperwork for the final payment we discovered they booked the wrong cruise. We still had our original paperwork, and we called them. Their response was that the price of the cruise had went up so we were going to have to pay the higher price. After much to do they finally booked it correctly at the original price. We had orginally booked for a cruise out of San Juan, PR and somehow they switched it to a cruise out of Las Angeles, CA.
Thinking everyone makes mistakes we used them the next year. This time it was worse. To make a long story short we were going to go early and stay longer. They only booked the air as if we were not going early or staying over, but they charged us the additional charge to change the air. With two weeks until the cruise we had not received our docs, I called and was told they were not going to mail them but I had to go to downtown Seattle and pick them up. No way. Anyway they finally mailed them and I received them two days before we were supposed to leave and discovered the air mistake. I called them and they said I was going to have to make the change. They DID make the change. DO NOT USE CRUISE HOLIDAYS!!!!!!!!!!
This year we booked with another agency and everything is A OK!
Old August 7th, 2001, 03:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Kevin

I don't have any problem with people advocating not using certain offices of Cruise Hollidays, but I don't think that all of them are bad. We are going on our first cruise in September with some friends who have used Cruise Hollidays several times in the past and have had great experiences with Cruise Hollidays.

I've been to a couple of McDonalds that were pretty bad, but I wouldn't recommend to everyone that they should never eat at any McDonalds ever again.
Old August 9th, 2001, 07:55 AM
Yeoman

I used cruise holidays in my area( suburban Philadelphia) and will not use them again either. I booked 2 cabins for this weekend, Aug.10<2001 on The Regal Empress.I booked specific cabin numbers. When I called about final payment, they told me that Regal said they never got the deposit so they cancelled our reservations. To top it, off the ship was now sold out! After days of ME calling Regal I was able to get cabins through people cancelling, but they aren't what we wanted and the price was more.I then called cruise holidays and they took over the booking, since they had my deposit money still. They managed to get a few dollars knocked off but I am upset we didn't get what we originally paid for.They did give us some snazzy cruise holidays travel bags though!