Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 4th, 2001, 07:34 PM
Dale

Default Research your TA!

I reserved a cabin online with Celebrity and was contacted by their Australian representative. All I had to do was get my TA to contact them, they would fax the invoice to TA. Simple! So I went to the closest TA left them all details and a hefty deposit and waited..and waited. The TA said they were booking through a wholesaler so I could get cheaper airfares, however the wholesaler was very busy and so the delays. At first I accepted this but when the invoice was supposedly in a fax queue for two and a half days I started to lose patience. I was quoted in US dollars and as I checked the exchange rate each day the cost increased as the aussie dollar fell. On the day that the invoice from the wholesaler did arrive (more than a week after leaving the deposit) I worked out the US quote in local currency. The price from the TA was 5% more. I asked why and was told this was the wholesalers price and did not relate back to my original quote. There was no cheap airfare available, so at this point I was paying 5% more simply because it was going through the wholesaler instead of the TA dealing direct. So now I asked the TA to please book direct. I was told this would be very difficult as the wholesaler now "held" my booking, they would have to formally release it and the only alternative was to give up my cabin and take the next best available. I did not want to lose my cabin and as the aussie dollar was now in freefall more delays would be expensive. The one benefit I could see was that at least this quote was in aussie currency and so I could pay the deposit and there was no need to pay the full balance upfront (the cruise was still more than 6 months away). So begrudgingly I told the TA to accept the quote. A few weeks passed and I was contacted by the TA, I had to pay the balance within 48 hrs or the wholesaler was adding a further surcharge. Who do I blame? ME! I should have researched the TA as I did the cruiseline, ship and itinerary. I should not have left a deposit until the TA had provided a written quote. Hopefully admitting my mistakes may help someone else. I must add that Celebrity's local staff were terrific. Dale
Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2001, 07:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Research your TA!

Hi Dale,
Wow, what a story, guess you were right it does pay to research your travel agent before putting down that deposit. I sure hope the cruise is wonderful and you can forget about the hassle booking it. Enjoy the cruise and let us know how much fun it was :-)

Donnassei
Old June 15th, 2001, 03:38 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Research your TA!

I think I'd be dumping this TA and the wholesaler and finding another.