Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 23rd, 2001, 07:21 AM
sandthrush

Default Pay by Credit Card when Possible

After reading the horror stories about booking fowl-ups, I'm glad I paid by credit card. This is not to say that something can not go wrong with our booking, but at least I know that no one can say our booking was not paid for on time, or someone other than me cancelled our booking.

We already had a minor discrepency with our TA about the final due amount and am glad that I had my credit card statement to back me up. About 2 months after we originally booked our cruise, we decided we wanted an air deviation to ensure us the most direct flights. We made the arrangements through our TA and authorized payment via credit card (additional $320). The payment appeared on my credit card bill, as expected. However the TA kept sending us invoices for final payment showing that the extra $320 was still due. I spoke to her on two occasions about it, and she kept saying "don't worry about it, the accounting dept. will get it straightened out". Well, sorry I do worry, when I get a bill that says a final payment of $x,xxx.00 is due, I assume that someone is expecting that amout to be paid. Anyhow it turned out to be no problem. When it was time for the final payment, I also authorized them to use my credit card, and I was able to see immediately (by checking my credit card statement on the internet) that the proper amount was charged.

From now on, I'll pay by credit card.
Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2001, 07:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Pay by Credit Card when Possible

Hi Sand,
You brought up some very good points when paying by credit card. I also do the same for the same reasons, glad you mentioned this and glad you were able to straighten the problem out and you had the statements to back you up. I also use them a lot while cruising, saves bringing cash and they cards are so widely accepted, its foolish not to use them.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old July 19th, 2001, 05:40 PM
gogetter

Hello,

I agree....but tell me the difference in a statement form a credit card company and a receipt for cash .....

I know i know...credit card is the way to go ..i am not disputing that....but...if you pay cash and have a receipt...it's all the same...unless of course the T/A goes out of business.....But to dispute a total amount....with a receipt i would imagine would have the same affect as a credit card statement.....
Old July 19th, 2001, 09:20 PM
Robie

I once made the mistake of paying by check. The ta claimed I would save more if I sent a check instead of using a credit card. The ta held my $$ so long that I lost my original booked cabin and eventually the entire cruise. ASlways use a credit card and also call the cruiseline to check if the booking is as you thought it should be.
Old July 20th, 2001, 09:34 AM
BOATSIE

>>ASlways use a credit card and also call the cruiseline to check if the booking is as you thought it should be<<

Good thought in theory, but not in practice. I called the cruiseline (NCL) to "double-check" my cabin reservations against what my TA said was booked. NCL stated that they CANNOT release that information to passengers who book through a TA. I was told I must get that information through the TA only. (For any TA's that are watching, can you please tell me why this is so ?? ) All I could do was hope my TA was honest with me. Luckily, when I received the cruise documents, everything matched what I ordered. Unfortunately, that was not the case with some people who've posted on the board.
Old July 20th, 2001, 09:55 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You can now check your booking if you are cruising with Princess on their web-site. All you need is your booking number that you can get from your T/A or call 1-800-Princess. All the information is there and you can even book shore excersions once you hit the 60 days prior, very nice feature. You can set up your sign and sail credit card info as well.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old July 21st, 2001, 11:34 AM
Marty Trencher

It is ALWAYS safer to pay by credit card than by cash or check. You have a right to "contest" a credit card payment with your merchant bank if you disagree with the charge.

Any travel agent worthy of your business should mail or fax you the actual confirmation from the Cruise Line. It will show you exactly what you paid for and give you the cruise lines confirmation number should you need to speak to the cruise line directly.

See my earlier notes on frauds and scams for more information on how to work with a travel agent.
Old August 11th, 2001, 02:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default ALWAYS Re: Pay by Credit Card when Possible

Always use a credit card. I didn't and my friends did when we book a cruise a little less than a year ago. Of course the cruise was booked on the SeaBreeze of the Preimer Line. They went bankrupt. My friends called their credit card company and had the cruise price refunded to them within a few days. I waited nearly 9 months and then only got back 85%. So I try now to pay with a credit card.
Old May 9th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Yeoman

Credit cards are the way to go!
Old May 10th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

I use one of those cash back type credit cards and charge everything then pay it off at the end of the month. This way I get a free 20 or so day loan and the bonus money. I have been looking for one that will apply to cruises, and they exist, just search the web.
Disney Wonder October 2009
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas September 2011
Disney Magic February 2012
Disney Wonder January 2014
Disney Wonder to Hawaii 2015...I hope!
Old May 10th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Yeoman

nvabill, are you on some sponsored trip to being an Admiral the quickest by digging up up old posts and then throwing one liners at them like "Credit cards are the way to go!"

See a gripe to me is more than 5 or 10 words. I get your advert for cedit cards, but
Old May 10th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBgood
nvabill, are you on some sponsored trip to being an Admiral the quickest by digging up up old posts and then throwing one liners at them like "Credit cards are the way to go!"

See a gripe to me is more than 5 or 10 words. I get your advert for cedit cards, but
I really don't care what a gripe is to you, I say it the way I want to!
Old May 10th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvabill
Quote:

I really don't care what a gripe is to you, I say it the way I want to!
Oh and you win a gold star for noticing how old the post are, you see I sometimes like to look back at the old post, isn't that why they are still there?
Old May 11th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Yeoman

Nice reply, I counted two sentences and an actual view, keep it up

And I did not just notice the post dates, I was there first time round so it was like "deja vu"

My point was how can you drag up a thread heading for its 6th birthday since the last post and only say "Credit cards are the way to go!"

Dont get that.... looking back is one thing but

I have done it, look at "kids in hot tubs", but I did it to see if the reaction was as bad now as it was then. I asked a question!
Old May 11th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Nice reply, I counted two sentences and an actual view, keep it up

And I did not just notice the post dates, I was there first time round so it was like "deja vu"

My point was how can you drag up a thread heading for its 6th birthday since the last post and only say "Credit cards are the way to go!"

Dont get that.... looking back is one thing but

I have done it, look at "kids in hot tubs", but I did it to see if the reaction was as bad now as it was then. I asked a question!
Hmmmn, strange, you were there June 2001 when you joined April 2006???
Old June 26th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Passenger

Years ago I paid my deposit by check and lived to regret it. The TA suppossedly booked us in a specific cabin. When the invoice arrived for the final payment, the cabin # was not the same as we had booked. When I called TA to inquire about the error, I was told that the Celebrity had made the change. The new cabin assignment was the same cat. but at the front of the ship. Not acceptable since I get seasick near the front of the ship. Celebrity told me that the TA had held my deposit money and when the TA finally sent the deposit money to Celebrity, the time to hold the cabin had expired. So the TA just booked another cabin without telling me. We were not pleased. It was a Christmas cruise. Ship was fully booked. We got our money refunded. We then went to another TA and booked a cruise on a different ship. Celebrity told us about the scam that some TA do to make money. They hold it and make interest on it. They later book in the same cat. Most people go along. Sometimes they even pass it off as a phony upgrade. Celebrity told us to ALWAYS pay by credit card and call the cruiseline to see if the deposit was received and the cabin is the one that was requested. I've done this and have found it is easier to correct problems earlier rather than later.
Old June 26th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Admiral

I am like others. I pay for everything (except my rent) with my credit card and pay it off at the end of the month. Same with my vacations. I use a cc to secure my sail and sign, keeping a mental note of my charges and then just pay it off when the bill comes in the mail.

It helps me to stay on budget b/c in my mind, I can only charge what I can afford to pay off each month. Unlike many of my friends, by doing it this way, I never accumulate any debt. Usually once a year or so, I will let one month's charges roll over to the next billing cycle. This is so my account is never flagged as not being an income generating account. When that happens the banks can take away your perks, close the account or even impose an annual fee since they are not making any money.

As far as booking vacations. I am just more comfortable booking directly with the cruiseline, preferably over the Internet. This way I can eyeball my reservation before I pay and will get a printed confirmation directly from the cruiseline immediately.

But the biggest reason for using a credit card is . . . if I don't get what I paid for, they don't get paid. The credit card company likes me more than they like the merchants so they will fight my battles.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)