Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2001, 09:55 AM
Nick Kozloff

Default ?Insurance

I had a really stupid question, but still curious about the subject. I was wondering if there were to be severe weather and somehow the cruise had gotten canceled, would we get a refund if we didn't have insurance? The reason I ask this question is because I'm taking a cruise in Sept and that's right in the middle of Hurricane season. If you could e-mail me back and maybe give us a little advise about whether or not we should be safe and purchase insurance, or if it's just a waste of money, thank you

-Nick
Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2001, 02:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: ?Insurance

Nick..
Definately get insurance. Even aside from missing the cruise due to hurricanes, it covers alot of situations which hopefully wont, but can arise.

Hurricanes wont affect your sailing unless they happen to hit the port of departure on sailing day. Other than that instance, the ships will adjust their itineraries to avoid the hurricane.
I've cruised in Sept. a number of times. Going again this Sept on the John Heald/CruiseMates Group Cruise, and only once did a hurricane come close to delaying are sailing, but we made it!

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
Old June 28th, 2001, 04:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Nick: I agree w/ Kuki about getting insurance, but please be sure to purchase insurance from a third party. Some cruise lines are self-insured, so if they suddenly close their doors their insurance is worthless to you and you'll just stand in line as another creditor. To answer you initial question: if the cruise line cancels the cruise, they are responsible for refunding your money.
Old August 7th, 2001, 02:00 PM
Robie

Not a waste of $. Anything can happen. I had to cancel a cruise 2 weeks prior to sailing. Had an accident. Broke a foot. Was I happy that I had purchaed the ins.Got my $ back within 2 weeks. If I hadn't bought the ins., I would have been out a lot of $
Old August 28th, 2001, 01:26 PM
cruzdiva

Picture this. You or your wife is severely injured or ill and you must be airlifted by helicopter from the ship to a shospital ashore. That can cost up to $15,000! Cruise insurance covers it. Cheap at the price.

Carole