Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 29th, 2001, 01:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Cruise gripes gripe

Just perusing the Board and it reminded me of my pet peeve -- cruise gripers.

These are some of my experiences and reactions:

* Bathroom problems (and I had one -- water (?) bubbling from the bathroom floor) are a pain, but it was resolved. And, it created a funny story to tell when I got back.

* Rude people on board -- met them every time (3 cruises this year and one booked in two weeks), but decided after 5 minutes of fuming that they were not worth spoiling my trip. Plus, so many sweet people on-board otherwise.

* Unintelligible tour guides (had one of those, too) but enjoyed the trip anyway when I decided it was just as enjoyable to look outside and see some place I had never seen.

* Rude waiters (had a very cold one) but the assistant waiter was a dream and netted the bigger tip.

* Rude or inattentive cabin stewards -- had one. Got the basics I wanted within a day after one terse note in the cabin. Had a fantastic time on the cruise.

The bottom line is that a cruise is like every day life -- there are always problems. You deal with it but don't let it spoil *your* life.

I saw a man today at the grocery store throw a fit over what he considered was an afront. Why not better to give the other person the benefit of the doubt or at the least see how blessed you are to just be able to *go* to the grocery store -- there were times I could not afford to go, and my mom spent months in cancer radiation not knowing the joy of just being outside the house.

In the case of a cruise, I've seen people complain 'cause they could not get tomato juice 'cause the ship ran out. Give me a break! This is the end of the world? No. I bet many a person in many countries I have visited would relish just sitting in the finery I have enjoyed 3 times this year.

Why not acknowledge you are lucky enough to *be* on a cruise, *afford* a cruise and be *away* from your every-day life?

It's all how you view it, folks.

Hopping off my soapboax,
Harry
Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2001, 02:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Cruise gripes gripe

Harry,

I have, and I am sure you have also, met people who were not happy if they didn't have something to complain about.

Your advice is great. Don't allow any person, event, or circumstance dicitate how you react to your vacation. Take life in stride, when you are dealt lemons in life make lemonade.

You will live a happier healthier life.

Just my thoughts.

Don
Old September 29th, 2001, 09:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

Harry,

I second the motion!!!! I too have had some not so nice encounters with both passengers and crew but never allowed it to spoil my enjoyment.

In other words; "Don't sweat the small stuff!".

Judy
Old September 29th, 2001, 07:07 PM
WillaT

Well put guys. My husband and I are taking our 1st cruise in Nov and we plan on having the time of our lives no matter what!
Old September 29th, 2001, 09:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi WillaT,
GReat that you are going on your first, what ship?? Just go, relax and enjoy yourselves :-)

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old September 30th, 2001, 12:35 PM
HannaS77

Some court decisions in lawsuits are based on the Law of Reasonable Expectation. Passengers can be dissatisfied because they feel they have been misled by the advertsing build up used by the cruise lines. We started to cruise in 1972 when Princess Cruises had three ships, the Pacific, Island Princess, and the Sun Princess. then every week for several years we were exposed to the comedy on TV, "The Love Boat", which was a farce.

We have taken wonderful cruises, not so wonderful cruises and terrible cruises but we still come back for more. We have become more aggrevated with the airlines than we ever have toward the cruise lines.Harry Martin wrote:
>
> Just perusing the Board and it reminded me of my pet peeve --
> cruise gripers.
>
> These are some of my experiences and reactions:
>
> * Bathroom problems (and I had one -- water (?) bubbling from
> the bathroom floor) are a pain, but it was resolved. And, it
> created a funny story to tell when I got back.
>
> * Rude people on board -- met them every time (3 cruises this
> year and one booked in two weeks), but decided after 5
> minutes of fuming that they were not worth spoiling my trip.
> Plus, so many sweet people on-board otherwise.
>
> * Unintelligible tour guides (had one of those, too) but
> enjoyed the trip anyway when I decided it was just as
> enjoyable to look outside and see some place I had never seen.
>
> * Rude waiters (had a very cold one) but the assistant waiter
> was a dream and netted the bigger tip.
>
> * Rude or inattentive cabin stewards -- had one. Got the
> basics I wanted within a day after one terse note in the
> cabin. Had a fantastic time on the cruise.
>
> The bottom line is that a cruise is like every day life --
> there are always problems. You deal with it but don't let it
> spoil *your* life.
>
> I saw a man today at the grocery store throw a fit over what
> he considered was an afront. Why not better to give the other
> person the benefit of the doubt or at the least see how
> blessed you are to just be able to *go* to the grocery store
> -- there were times I could not afford to go, and my mom
> spent months in cancer radiation not knowing the joy of just
> being outside the house.
>
> In the case of a cruise, I've seen people complain 'cause
> they could not get tomato juice 'cause the ship ran out. Give
> me a break! This is the end of the world? No. I bet many a
> person in many countries I have visited would relish just
> sitting in the finery I have enjoyed 3 times this year.
>
> Why not acknowledge you are lucky enough to *be* on a cruise,
> *afford* a cruise and be *away* from your every-day life?
>
> It's all how you view it, folks.
>
> Hopping off my soapboax,
> Harry
Old September 30th, 2001, 03:27 PM
Len

There will always be a complainer wherever you are. Granted some complaints are justified especially if you receive BAD service, that can spoil any long awaited vacation. But for the most part the majority of problems can be resolved and overlooked. My only "peeve" on the last cruise was the fact the wall clock on the Lido Deck at the pool was NEVER correct...usually people don't wear their wrist watch when sun bathing and swimming so we always had to ask for the time, but I wouldn't expect a cruise discount over it!
Old September 30th, 2001, 05:21 PM
gogetter

Hello,

I am curious.....is this a gripe about people who gripe ?????

Old October 1st, 2001, 09:20 AM
Ace

Well said Harry. While this seems to be a place for folks to vent about legitimate gripes, some people take it to extremes. No matter what is done, or how well it is done, someone is going to find something to complain about. These folks aren't happy unless thay have something to gripe about. If they can't find something to complain about, they create one, even if its only the weather. The saddest thing is that this happens all the time, not just on curises! (talk about road rage or office rage) Oh well, I resolve not to let other folks (or circumstances beyond anyone's control) screw up enjoyment of my vacation, or everyday life for that matter!
Old October 1st, 2001, 03:05 PM
Jim Munkittrick

Bring back keelhauling!
Wanna bet that would slow a few gripers?
:-)
Jim
Old October 2nd, 2001, 03:55 AM
Beerman

Precisely!!!!!!!!!
A cruise, is a cruise, is .. A CRUISE!!!!!!
If it's run by humans it has problems but no one wants these problems to develop into anything else but a good story. If you want perfection then stay at home in your recliner, turn on the TV and phase out the world. A little lonely perhaps but no surprises. Read any good books lately or have you gone out and experienced the world of incidences?
Old October 11th, 2001, 02:57 PM
JulieRB

Harry wrote:

>Just perusing the Board and it reminded me of my pet peeve -- cruise gripers.<

First of all, I don't mean to be rude, but if none of you want to hear about the things that went wrong on others' cruises, why do you even offer a 'gripes' board?

We just returned from our first (and most likely, last for quite some time,) cruise on NCL's SKY to Hawaii. We didn't have "funny" problems like rude waitstaff or plumbing issues. We had problems like intractable seasickness from 20-foot swells, (you know it's bad when the captain is ill, as well as fully half of the other passengers) missed ports, the constant merchandising, and some pretty serious injuries sustained by other passengers as a result of accidents while the boat was in storms and also while tendering.

We are heartbroken to have spent $5,000 on a vacation that was to be a once in a lifetime experience, and has turned out to be probably the worst vacation we've ever had.

I'm happy that your vacations are trouble-free. Ours sure wasn't. We'd hope to help others avoid what happened to us.

Julie