Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 16th, 2001, 01:51 PM
Admiral

Default Dining Room Service-Wine Steward

In the previous thread on Asst Waiters there are comments by nantravel on Princess's use of the asst. waiter as the wine steward. On Carnival it is the regular waiter and on Celebrity you have a wine Steward (and with luck a knowledgeable one).
This thread could go in two directions, and let's take it both places. Your thoughts on the servers themselves and your thoughts on the system each line uses for wine service.

My own prefence is for the system on Celebrity where you actually have a steward whose job it is to serve wine and drinks. I believe this leaves the other servers to give uninterupted service and allows for a better wine service. On three Celebrity cruises I have experienced three excellent stewards.After ordering wine on the first night, I was greeted by name each night with a suggestion for wine. After two nights they knew my prefences and price range as well. I cannot say that the system
used vfor wine orders on Princess, Carnival or Norwegian offered
as pleasent an experience.(None were bad, just not as good).
Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2001, 09:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Dining Room Service-Wine Steward

Holland America

9/4/01 Maasdam

employs a Wine Steward

My travel companion and I drink champagne. After looking at the list and asking a few questions we settled on the one we knew we liked, of the others listed some were too epensive and the others were so close in price we chose a etter rand. (sorry keyoard sticking)

The wine steward was knowledgale aout wines as we had the chance to ask him aout a few.

Every meal he would make eye contact with us as we entered the room or come over to our tale to see if we were ordering that night.

On the night wine was sent to us, he told us aout the wine and when we liked it even wrote down the name and region it was from.

Much prefer this system, sailing on NCL 11/24/01 - anyone have feedack? - Angela
Old October 17th, 2001, 08:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

We had a great steward on the Norway. Arthur was friendly and knowledgeable. When we chose a wine they were out of one night he recommended a good alternative in the same price range and made sure to check how we liked it. He was always there - like magic - when we wanted a drink and he even came by to say hello when he was serving drinks on the private island. A pro!
Old October 17th, 2001, 04:53 PM
Admiral

Bill.....on a Victiory cruise we just returned from....our asst waiter tended to our wine.......maybe different people from cruise to cruise ????
Old October 17th, 2001, 05:07 PM
Admiral

I'm sure it may have changed, it has been 13 months since my last Carnival Cruise. Did you feel that regular service was interupted if the asst waiter had to stop to do wine for a few people?
Or did the wine service suffer any because the asst waiter was off doing regular service duties?
Old October 18th, 2001, 02:10 PM
Admiral

We prefer the way Celebrity did it.......wine steward.
Old October 19th, 2001, 12:17 AM
First Mate

We have used a wine steward just a couple of times on RCCL, on two different cruises. They have an actual steward like Celebrity (which, if I'm not mistaken, is owned by RCCL now). On our second cruise this past March on the Enchantment, we had quite a lot of trouble getting the attention of our stewardess
(female this time). I can't recall who, but either the headwaiter or maitre'd had to get on her case after our second request. Perhaps because we only ordered wine on 2 nights, but the service should have been better. I agree w/you, however, that the waiters & busboys have enough to do without messing with the wine. It's bad enough that they have to go out foraging for any cocktails someone might order during dinner.