Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 14th, 2001, 12:52 PM
Admiral

Default Non-smokers

Non-smokers who give me and my fellow "puffers" "dirty looks" when we light up. I only smoke in designated areas of the ship but even then I will get "the look" from some non-smokers. Why? I never critizize others for their vices. For example...I never say "hey you disgustingly obese pig, you are gonna die from diabetes, stroke or heart attack". AND why is it that most of the time, the ones who give me "the look", are obese (some grossly so)? AND let me clear up a myth before someome says it....smokers are not necessarily thin because they smoke so dont even try that rationale <G>. I try not to judge others.....and if truth be known most of us have a bad habit that may affect our health. As long as I adhere to ships smoking regulations........keep "the look to yourself" and I wont call you fat or ugly. Remember if you are ugly..you are ugly for life. One can quit smoking but cant quit "ugly". Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old November 14th, 2001, 01:40 PM
Robocop

Default Re: Non-smokers

Rick,
Play nice now. <G> Seriously though, rethink, I too sometimes wrinkle my nose when I smell smoke, but it isn't because I feel anger or disgust towards the smoker, (heck I used to be one for 33 years!), but the smell is really offensive to me now and it is not done on purpose, it really is reflexive. I will not tell anyone not to smoke whenever they are in a legitimate smoking area, I either suffer or if it gets too much, excuse myself and go elsewhere. Smoking is a very hard habit to quit and one will only be sucessful if and when they really wish to. It is however known to be very dangerous to ones health, and most likely those of others. (although I am still not convinced of this second-hand junk) Bottom line, most of us didn't know better when we started many, many years ago, but everyone does know now unless they are blind, deaf, and just plain stupid, and they should not start. For those that are addicted to smoking, I wish you the very best and hope that someday you will make the decision to quit, but that IS your decision.
Jim
Old November 14th, 2001, 01:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Rick,

First I would like to point out that I am not fat, but I am known to give smokers "the look". As long as you really were smoking in designated areas, I would have no problem, I would just stay away from those areas. But, I would like to say that overweight people and smoking are a bad comparison. Overweight people don't make me cough, my eyes red and my clothing stink, so therefore I do not have a problem with them, but I do have a problem with smokers that light up and don't consider they are most likely bothering the people around them, maybe you are a considerate smoker, but there are many that just are not.
Old November 14th, 2001, 03:55 PM
Admiral

Jim, Some of that was to get a "rise" outta people <G>. Hey Bro, remember the C-Rat Cigs...they tasted like the gum packed in the accessory pack with them lol.
Rick
Old November 14th, 2001, 03:57 PM
Admiral

Seriously Jenn, I agree with you and yes I am a "considerate smoker" and WOULD NEVER light up around anyone bothered by my bad habit . Thanks for your imput.
Semper Fi
Rick
Old November 14th, 2001, 05:11 PM
Robocop

That was GUM!! Heck, I smoke that too!
Jim
Old November 15th, 2001, 10:01 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to suzanne
Default What I don't understand....

I live in Nevada, and travel quite frequently to California, a notorious "non-smoking state." This is where I have experienced the "look", the "glare" and on occasion, the "rude comments" on my cigarette pack which lies innocently in my half open purse, unused except when I am outside and harming no one. In California, I have been subjected to the worst kind of treatment by non-smokers....In my mind, I half way understand it....I know it's bad for me and I shouldn't smoke...what I can't figure out though is: Why is smoking cigarettes in California such a horrible thing but smoking dope is perfectly legitimate??? I don't understand this....
Old November 17th, 2001, 12:38 AM
Passenger

Default Re: What I don't understand....

Jenn I have to agree with you. I would rather be behind the obese people in a buffet line than a smoker anywhere. Obese and other people are only harming themselves with their vices. Smokers are harming me.

Butt out!!!!!!!
Old November 17th, 2001, 02:03 PM
Admiral

what if that obese person lost his balance and fell backwards?
Butt on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old November 17th, 2001, 03:28 PM
Chyna_C

Well Rick, if the smoke hasn't slowed your reflexes you could run!!!!!!!!!...giggle
Old November 18th, 2001, 01:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

HEY!!!! I am getting very offended by all these obese jokes! My hubby is not very small, and I could lose a few pounds - mainly by divorcing him. But still!

Anyway...

I do give dirty looks, but only becuase half the time I don't realize I sat in the smoking section and then it is just reflex, the smell gives me a headache. And I look for the smell so I know where I have to move away from.
Old November 18th, 2001, 02:59 PM
rsawick

Cigarettes stink. People that smoke them stink. Rooms where smoking occurs stink. When I am anywhere near people smoking cigarettes, that stink gets in my hair and my clothes. Everytime somewhat lights a cigarette it sends a subtle suggestion to young people that it is OK to do so. Dirty looks! I would like to punch every smoker in the nose just for lighting up!
Old November 18th, 2001, 04:57 PM
Admiral

YIKESSSSS!!!!!!!! I won't light up anywhere near you
Old November 18th, 2001, 06:08 PM
Admiral

hummmmmm I think SOMEONE needs a group hug!
Old November 18th, 2001, 07:13 PM
Admiral

Default To Board monitor

raswick stated ......"Dirty looks! I would like to punch every smoker in the nose just for lighting up!"

Monitor, this message violates board rules so why is it still here? Surely after seeing some posts that you deleted, this one qualifies for deletion. This is obviously an angry person who needs to get a grip on his/her emotions. Since when do we threaten bodily harm to someone because they have a habit we don't like? Are you going to do the right thing or are you selective in who can violate the rules here Thank you.
Regards
Rick
Old November 18th, 2001, 07:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: To Board monitor

While I don't think the poster's comments were very productive (compromise in those situations seems like the easiest solution.. imho), the poster was not in violation of the rules in our User Agreement. They expressed an opinion. They did not personally attack anyone. Nor did they use any profanity.
We actually do not delete posts on a whim. It takes some patience not to, in some cases, but except for the odd time where the line gets blurred and requires some judgement, use of the delete button follows the rules.

Regards,
Kuki
Old November 18th, 2001, 11:59 PM
Admiral

Default Re: To Board monitor

Okay, thank you. The comment did bother me and has caused me a lot of distress. I can visualize lighting up in a designated smokers area and someone coming out of nowhere to "punch me in the nose". Even now, the thought of that makes me wonder whether or not I should cancel my cruise for fear of that person being there and acting out their anger. We will probaby still go but while on cruise I am sure that every time I light up, I will be looking over my shoulder in anticipation of an injury. If this happens, my blood is on your hands <G>.
Regards
Rick
Old November 19th, 2001, 12:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default RSAWICK

Do you think you need to relax a little?

Oh yeah a punch is a good example to set for little children, lets see - violence or smoking? Violence usually requires therapy or jail time and smoking needs some gum or a patch or hynosis to stop.

Good point you had there, and yes this is me being sarcastic!
Old November 22nd, 2001, 01:59 PM
Admiral

ever consider "anger management"?
Old November 23rd, 2001, 06:26 PM
holly

Sometimes the problem is staff training and/or lack of english. I was improperly advised by the deck staff on on the Triumph 12/99. I NEVER smoke near the elevators, show lounge, dining room, or any food service. I always check for the proper side side in the bars (ashtrays on tables). I am a long time smoker with 2 athletic 20ish kids who hate getting in our cars or staying at our house. We have to be reasonably considerate or they would never "darken our door again." Hmmmm-maybe thats the way to go!
Old December 3rd, 2001, 01:50 PM
Wes

I Believe there has been a little over reaction to what raswick wrote. So here it is again:

"Cigarettes stink. People that smoke them stink. Rooms where smoking
occurs stink. When I am anywhere near people smoking cigarettes, that stink
gets in my hair and my clothes. Everytime somewhat lights a cigarette it
sends a subtle suggestion to young people that it is OK to do so. Dirty looks! I
would like to punch every smoker in the nose just for lighting up!"

The truth is that the comments about smoke stinking are true, and since the young people are smoking even with the negative adverts, maybe we need to be aware that what we do sets a bad example. The last comment didn't say one should punch someone who is smoking, it just expressed an emotion.

I have been chased out of more lounges on board ships because of the smell of the smoke. Even though there are designated spots to smoke, the smoke doesn't know not to enter the non-smoking spots.
Old December 4th, 2001, 03:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

I may be one who gives "the look" - that is right before my chest tightens up from my asthma!! Often it is not possible to get where I am goind without passing through the smoking section. Smoke swirls around and grows through areas that may not be the smoking section. Restaurants with no smoking sections are truly a joke - who tells the smoke to stay in the smoking section. Going to the club or dance area on a ship is also often difficult for me. We have video from our first cruise in the lounge from one of the "talent shows" - all you can hear is me coughing from an asthma attack from being around all the smoke. And I'm not FAT either.
Old December 10th, 2001, 03:23 PM
Admiral

ever consider a non smoking ship?
Old December 17th, 2001, 06:35 PM
gogetter

Hello,

Hey Rick...seems like you started some trouble....lol....

I don't smoke, and can't really stand it, but when it gets too much i get up and leave.
Old December 19th, 2001, 10:09 AM
Sue Sue

Why should the non smoker leave? Give up what he or she wanted to enjoy. The smoker is causing the initial problem. The person smoking is causing harm to others. If a person would cause harm by say for instance spraying something in the face of someone else, they could be arrested. What is the difference between the spray and tobacco smoke?
Old December 19th, 2001, 12:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Sue Sue wrote:
>
>. If a
> person would cause harm by say for instance spraying
> something in the face of someone else, they could be
> arrested. What is the difference between the spray and
> tobacco smoke?
While some may regret it, smoking is a legal activity, as long as the person smoking is in an area designated for smoking.
Regards,
Kuki
Old December 24th, 2001, 12:01 PM
Sue Sue

Yes - Smoking is legal - unfortunately tobacco smoke does not have a designated area- it filters everywhere. My comment is directed to common courtesy- which is lost when smokers are causing harm to others who have no recourse but to leave an area or activity that they want to enjoy as well.. It is unfair that non-smokers don't have the same overall freedoms and rights as smokers. Except of course in areas such as Carnival's Paradise. Those who smoke or do not care one way or the other can sail on another ship with the same itinerary and ship layout. Thank you Carnival!! Now, in all fairness, what about smokers rights? Or beer drinkers rights? Or funny clothing rights? To be fair, all rights need to be considered. It is complicated when the legal point is brought into the picture. But, as I mentioned before, I am making a plea for common courtesy and consideration for those with no defense.
Old January 4th, 2002, 04:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Go ahead and smoke away in the smoking areas! In '98 I was traveling with 4 smokers and a non-smoker - who I met as we left on the cruise. The other nonsmoker and I guarded the carry-ons when the smokers went to the designated smoking areas before we boarded, when we changed planes and before we were able to get our luggage when we arrived in San Juan. We had plenty of time to talk. Guess who I married 9 months after that cruise!!!!
Old January 6th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Marnie

I was a smoker for 13 years. Quitting was the most difficult thing I did. But I have to admit, the decrease in designated smoking places helped tremendously. Thanks to all the non-smokers who pushed for that.

But shame on you obese people who give "dirty looks" to the smokers. I'd rather be behind the smoker than the obese person. Obesity, in most cases is a matter of choice. I also used to be 20 pounds overweight. Once someone starts smoking, the addiction is nearly impossible to deal with. It's easy to quit eating. I simply read what's in food, if it's high in fat or calories, it's easy to reject. When I found out that a 6 inch italian hoagie(submarine sandwich) with dressing has 1150 calories, I decided I would never eat one again, no problem, nothing tastes that good. Yes, it can be difficult eating healthy in restaurants and on cruiseships, but there is no reason to ever put something unhealthy in your shopping cart. Obesity is a reflection of someones routine eating and lack of exercise. I have no simpathy for the obese, but I have to simpathize with the smokers. It is so much easier to be around smokers than to be around obese people stuffing their faces with fattening food, burping, talking with their mouths open and smacking their lips as they eat. No not every fat person is like that, but there are too many.

What's really amazing is people who complain about having to deal with cigarette smoke, then they get in a car and polute far more with car exhaust.
Old January 6th, 2002, 06:45 PM
2 step

Get rid of the skinny people that complain about being cold all the time. Geez, you'd think they were turning into ice cubes at 68 degrees. Put on a sweater, gain 10 lbs, and get over yourself. What are these people thinking going on an Alaskan cruise and then complaining about cold dining rooms and public areas.

Here's the deal people: If you're skinny and you go on a cold weather cruise there should be a minimum Body Fat Index that you should have to meet before being allowed to go so others dont have to listen to you whine about being cold all the time. If you're fat and you go on a hot weather cruise you should be forced to lose weight before getting your tickets because no one wants to see your sweaty flesh out by the pool. And those that gripe and complain should have to meet a minimal friendly personality quota. If you can't socialize without ridicule then you cant board either. Actually I think there should be a standardized height, weight, and positive attitude guideline for ALL cruises. Anyone not meeting the standards would not be welcome.

Sorry Marnie, You just got kicked off the cruise for ridiculing obese people. Your attitude makes you worse than any obese person I've had the pleasure of knowing.