Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 17th, 2001, 01:53 AM
Mike Mastellar

Default Prices without Port Charges and Taxes

My "sort of" cruise gripe is when Agencies do not include the port charges and taxes in their ads. Many times I have seen great fares but only to find out that the the fare is 30% higher with the port charges and taxes. I also dislike it when a "document fee" or handling fee is added to the price.

I learned a long time ago to "read the fine print" and make sure you know everything that is being charged before you book.

Now I am off my soap box.

Have a great weekend, everyone.

Take Care;
Mike
Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2001, 07:47 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Prices without Port Charges and Taxes

You are so right. This new document fee is for the birds. I always thought their commission took care of that. Being a retired TA - that is what the commission used to be for. Greedy, greedy!! Read the fine print - sometimes the lowest price isn't and you need to know who you are dealing with.
Old November 17th, 2001, 04:01 PM
Admiral

From what I have seen.....not showing port charges up front is true for most online agencies (gotta read small print). When all prices are shown.....I usually find that the Cruise Line Official website has as good or better price. And whats with the "document fee"...just what is that other than a way to make a few more dollars. I have read some posts here where people quote a great price they got at a T/A site.....too good a price.....so I go there and after reading the small print I see that the price they quoted in a post isnt right. As my good friend Ernie would probably say..if its too good to be true....etc <G> In todays market, YOU are your own best friend. Research..research....research......then decide.
Old November 18th, 2001, 02:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

Forgive me, I am a TA and I don't know what a document fee is? We don't issue the docs! Just deliver them and that is usually done by hand, regular mail(used most often) or UPS. What's the fee for?
Old November 22nd, 2001, 10:00 PM
Chyna_C

I know when I first booked my cruise, the invoice had a "handling fee" of $9.95 on the invoice. I noticed when I made my final payment that fee went "bye bye" and was told they waived it. At work I was dealing with a travel agency that charged a $15 "agency fee" every time we purchased and airline ticket from them which I felt was unreasonable. This was my boss' preferred agency so I kept my mout shut. May I say that as of a few weeks ago that agency is out of business. I gather many of their long term clients got tired of paying such fees and took their business elsewhere. *climbs down off of one of her soapboxes too!!!

Chyna
Old November 22nd, 2001, 10:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

A lot of agencies are now charging for issuing Airline tickets, some even charge for changes, refunds, etc. That is an entirely different thread I think. In my area it would be very hard to find an agency that is NOT charging for issuing an airline ticket, fees vary but they are there. And this should be stated upfront not one of those fine print add on later deals. I also think it should cover everything - refunds, exchanges, etc but everyone/every agency sees it this way.

if you reply to this, I am not ignoring you - just cruising.