Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 7th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandLover View Post
I say I could care less what anyone else wears on a cruise. I think you must not have enough to worry about if you are that concerned with others attire.
Dunno 'bout that, people ask enough questions about how to dress, & despite some thinking how easy it all is they ask about tips a lot too.
Old September 21st, 2010, 03:01 PM
Familiar Face

Default I must meet Rick in person!

I get the sense that Rick is my kinda guy! I too enjoy throwing things out there and seeing what response I get. Almost like chumming for sharks - bring on the danger, baby!:-D
Old October 12th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Familiar Face

why is it, old people seem to not know when to change there clothes. Last year we were on vacation and saw many older people wearing the exact same clothes for nearly the whole week. Oh and the smell of ben-gay needs to go away. Bring some clothes for a change a day at minimum. Al
Old October 17th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by alswagg View Post
why is it, old people seem to not know when to change there clothes. Last year we were on vacation and saw many older people wearing the exact same clothes for nearly the whole week. Oh and the smell of ben-gay needs to go away. Bring some clothes for a change a day at minimum. Al

Eh you used the word WE, so I am not talking about to a singleton sad person here, but maybe two. SO you and your partner went off on vacation, a time special to you and your relationship, nice. But for some reason in YOUR vacation for you and your partner and being so together??? You managed to take the time to take in other people around you to an extent that you figured out that they may be wearing in your opinion the same clothes as the day before. mmmmmm

Quite sad actually for your relationship and it says a lot about the experiences together you actually share.

I can say this as my vacation is just NOTthat view you have, I dont see these things,,,why does it matter? I am more involved in me and mine for that time together than getting concerned or even noticing that another passenger may have the same T shirt on for two days in a row
Old October 17th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Admiral

I don't think it's sad to see what others wear, after all we do dress up for what others think as well as for ourselves. We have seen people in the same clothes for longer that would be deemed normal....& had cabins that smelled bad until we had run the shower for a while, something possibly not done for some time?
Old October 17th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
I don't think it's sad to see what others wear, after all we do dress up for what others think as well as for ourselves. We have seen people in the same clothes for longer that would be deemed normal....& had cabins that smelled bad until we had run the shower for a while, something possibly not done for some time?
Actually I think it is sad that not only are there people memorizing what total strangers look like, but also what they are wearing. Do they follow them around, since ships are big and most people don't go to the exact same places every day. How do they know they aren't people wearing similar outfits that looks somewhat similar or different people who look similar wearing the same common tshirt?

I usually have a hard time remembering what I wore yesterday, let alone exactly what some stranger was wearing each day of the cruise. I much prefer enjoying myself and exploring the ship and ports to care what anyone is wearing or how many times they wear it.

There is nothing wrong with noting what someone is wearing, but to go to the point of remembering it so vividly (not just the outfit but the person as well) you know that they are wearing it again the next day seems weird to me.
Old October 17th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Admiral

Well some notice things others don't, as long as that's all it is....something like noticing someone you keep bumping into, or maybe is on your or a nearby table, seems harmless enough to me.
Old October 18th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Admiral

David, you nailed it!!!! It would be sad indeed if I spent my life being concerned with what other people are wearing or doing. Also, for John, I do not dress for others, only for myself. I say MYOB and your business may improve.

Live and let live and you will live longer
Old October 18th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Admiral

Sorry I just don't believe that people don't notice what other people wear, or indeed ''dress to impress'' themselves. Nothing wrong with either just normal human nature.

Last edited by johnthed0g; October 18th, 2010 at 05:30 PM. Reason: sp
Old October 18th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I had this conv ersation with my wife last night. She asked rhwetorically "why are all male designers gay?" (You have to love her, she is so innocent at times).

Because - women are brought noticing what other women wear. Its an obsession, like men notice cars or computers. The gay part is obvious, no explaanation required.

My point is... the men in this thread don't care about what other people are wearing, but we also don't watch QVC or read romance novels.

Women notice what other people are wearing far more than men do.

Furthermore - a lot of people cruise because they like the order and tradition of it. Ships have dress codes and (like a prom, if you will) the dress if part of the fun. So noticing dress and cruising go together, for many people. Not for me, but for a number of people.

After all - how many places are left that even call for any kind of dress code?
Old October 18th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
Sorry I just don't believe that people don't notice what other people wear, or indeed ''dress to impress'' themselves. Nothing wrong with either just normal human nature.
I may notice what someone is wearing for maybe 30 seconds. I certainly won't remember what that was the next day or the day after. Chances are I won't even remember the person either. On an average cruise you can see 100's of different people each day and unless they're wearing something outlandish I likely won't remember them. Probably because it's not important to me while I'm on vacation.
Old October 20th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Admiral

For me it’s just the stigmata the poster I replied to presented, your old, that means uncool clothes, smelly etc etc etc. Hey as an older person WITH MONEY I'll bet my dress down gear is retail value worth more than he/she or others spend on "best".

Lesson, never ever present a value or opinion that is based on AGE or people presented by face value in the same way. Why well I don’t judge people younger than me for their styles, parenting skills or lifestyle. So what gives you the right to stereotype me?

Ahhhh.. the arrogance of the young and not yet so experienced in life. We’ve all been there, but this bunch have something missing that I was taught,,,,,,,respect for those that have seen it and done it
Old October 20th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I notice what young people are wearing - tramp stamps, mohawks, baggy-ass hip-hop jeans. I don't mind unless they are waiting on me in restaurant.

Hey, I was one of those "deplorable hippie types" with long hair and a leather fringe vest.

But I would never do anything in the name of trendiness that would change my looks permanently. 80s punks already look sad, but wait another 20 years and all those old young people with their tattoos and brandings are going to really look sad.

I also know some people are far more affected by human smell than I am. And I also know some older people do not bathe enough (generally much older, like when its hard to move).

It's sad, but I don't hold it against them (or stand too close to them).
Old December 2nd, 2010, 10:26 PM
Admiral

When I go on a cruise I am there to relax. I generally don't notice or care what people wear.
Old December 30th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Admiral

"Hey, I was one of those "deplorable hippie types" with long hair and a leather fringe vest".

Yes Paul I will bet you were, so nothing changed then!!!!
Old January 7th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Familiar Face

Note to ladies : NO you can't wear that dress again , YES it looks like a Bridesmaid gown...no matter how you shorten it.
Old January 8th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Admiral

I sometimes wonder what those who are so concerned about what other passengers wear while on the ship, particularly in the dining room, think about apparel while on shore. Cruise ship passengers with their blobby shorts,torn T shirts and dirty sneakers are some of the ugliest creatures on the planet. Where have all the clothes police gone?

It is hypocritical to demand that other passengers dress to the "nines" in the dining room and them themselves dress to the "ones" while on shore.

Live and let live and you will live longer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!