Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 4th, 2002, 05:32 PM
Admiral

Default Tacky dress on ship

On our cruises we notice a lot of people..men /women....teens...who looked very ridiculous in their casual dress. Let me say that seeing a lady in jeans that are 5 sizes too small for her is a very disturbing site, especially the many inches of fat hanging over the jean tops as she wore a crop top. We noticed a lot of this on our last cruise (Galaxy out of San Juan). A lot of the girls we saw wearing jeans to tight by 5 sizes ranged in age from 16 to 35. Don't parents teach kids how to dress anymore? Why can't men and women wear casual clothes that compliment their figure instead of causing fatty tissue to overflow. Let me enlighten some of you.....YOU DONT look good in tight clothes. We saw men wearing shorts with shirts that would ride up at the waist to allow their belly to escape. For those people who think wearing too tight jeans makes them look sexy....let me give you the bad news....you look ridiculous! Nothing is more ridiclous than a woman, who is grossly overweight, wearing leggings! It looks terrible. Men.....no one thinks you look good with a "beer belly". So, if you don't care about your weight...at least wear clothes that don't make you look ridiculous. I think it's bad example for kids to see this on the ship and does nothing to improve others appetites. Parents, if you have a child (teen) who thinks they look good in jeans 5 sizes too small because of their weight......HELP THEM...CORRECT THEM....their inner organs (still growing) could be damaged!
Semper Fi
Rick
Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2002, 07:55 PM
Sue & Bill

Default Re: Tacky dress on ship

Yep, you are so right on this one.......I like your style Rick. Another type of 'tacky' is the lady who wears the flowing gown with CZ jewelry weighing down her neck, ears, wrists and fingers. Please, all you people who dress to the 'so called' nines, don't think you are impressing anybody. People who 'have' don't have to 'flaunt'.......Most formal nights look like 'prom night'. We always get the 'giggles' watching the lines of people going to dinner on formal night. Give me a break. It is the 21st Century. Sure it is nice to get dressed up for dinner, but the flowing gowns and especially the fake jewelry make most look 'trashy'........
Old January 4th, 2002, 08:34 PM
Suzie

Dear Rick- You old fox! I love it when you start another bash-banging thread! What would this board be without YOU!
I also agree on this topic- formal night and pool days bring out some frightening get-ups.
Keep things humming!
Suzie
Old January 4th, 2002, 11:12 PM
Admiral

I with you on this one Mean Marine. I hate to see mature women wear their daughters clothing. Come on! Ok we all get old and alittle flabby. But when it's over give it up. No tight shorts and speedos please! What geally gets me is people who can't wear a suit when it's formal night. If you can afford a cruise than please buy a suit. I even put my boys in suits. It's a little difficult to get them fitted but they look great. And for the young girls wearing that stuff, is going to make the sailors on board chase you around like a bunch to moon struck cows.
Old January 5th, 2002, 12:23 AM
Admiral

hmmmmmm must have done something wrong in posting this gripe....too many people agree with me. I have a reputation here to uphold so I guess I had better try a different approach next post. ... Redmom must be asleep....I can always depend on her to "slap me around" a little about my opinions <G>
Semper Fi
Rick
Old January 5th, 2002, 05:09 AM
thulewx

Along the same lines (people who refuse to believe they look stupid) - the balding men who do the "comb-over" to "hide" their baldness, and men who wear bad toupes. Do they have special mirrors that hide the fact that they look silly? Especially when the wind comes up and blows the "comb-over" to the other side and the hair hangs down past their necks...
Oh - in case you're wondering - I have almost no hair on top, so I'm allowed to grouse ;-)
Old January 5th, 2002, 10:59 AM
Admiral

Rick, Rick, Rick !!!! Always S.U.S. aren't you? Not that I mind you see, but when will you run out of good stuff?

Personnally, I love seeing overweight women in tight, sexy, two-sizes-too-small pants. The moon beams reflecting off the undulating flesh gets my motor running. For me, the bigger the better baby. And when we go to dinner, I love watching her eat until she is about to explode because then I know she is completely content and that gives me pleasure.

The younger women who wear little more that a belt for skirts IS disgusting. The little tight bodies need to cover up until they gain some fat before they start disclosing their flesh.

Regards.......
Old January 5th, 2002, 11:14 AM
cruz-b4

his is really a hoot and fun but I can see all this at the local mall without spending thousands (lol)
Old January 5th, 2002, 02:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi

I loved your post. Ha ha...those tacky folks must be from NC. I see a lot of that here! It probably damages their organs, i agree. Question...my husband was a marine. he says that none of them wear underwear..is that true...all that time in the field i guess?

rita
Old January 5th, 2002, 02:53 PM
Marnie

I am a size 16 and I wear size 8 pants. I find this discussion offensive
Sincerely,
Redmom

Just kidding, I'm not Redmom. Where is she, I miss her? I do appreciate this discussion. It gives me encouragement, time to get on the treadmill, I don't want to be a message board gripe.
Old January 5th, 2002, 07:35 PM
elmtree

hmmmm...young Roman God...Would that be Caligula perhaps??
Old January 7th, 2002, 05:48 PM
gogetter

Hello,

Do you have something against beer bellies ?
Old January 7th, 2002, 07:15 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Beer Belly Exercise Requirement

the above is cruise related in that while on cruise I see a lot of what I gripped about
Old January 8th, 2002, 12:09 AM
jenni c

To rick

I have seen many of your posts on this board. You really need to get a life, and start enjoying your holiday instead of trying to find fault with everyone else. Do you realise that because of people like you many people think that they are not "good" enough to cruise!

Grow up, mind your own business and unless the so called "Unworthy's" are annoyning you MYOB.

Who know's, maybe your tablemates think you are a total PIA but have the manners and good graces to tolerate you.

Trust me, I have met people like you and I do not care for them.

Everyone on the ship has paid their fare, if they choose not to join in the cattle drive then so be it, but why should it ruin your holiday,

Live and let live, you may get run over tomorrow and do you want peoplle to remember that you did not wear a Tux to formal night on the cruise. If this is so, then you are a sad individual.

Chill out. Manyana,
Old January 8th, 2002, 12:48 AM
Admiral

Jenni.......Please send the US Surgeon General your response also. Thank you
Old January 9th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Redmom

Rick Rick Rick! Here you go again!! Geesh you must either have a lot of time on your hands at home or are damn lucky you haven't gotten a written warning about your internet time at work. Yes, we had to be away for a while on a personal matter, but glad to be back to argue.

This time though you are not affecting me personally. I dress pretty classy and make sure my children dress appropriately too. Yes, some people should seriously look in the mirror before they step out anywhere, not just on a cruise ship. Then again, its their lives, and thank God we don't all have to wear the same thing. Also if somebody is seriously overweight, it doesn't mean giving up swimming, hence they HAVE to wear a swimsuit. I think you would have more to say about an overweight man or woman swimming in full casual dress. If you don't like the view from the pool chair you have the inalienable right to move. As for people walking around looking like they are litterally wrapped too tight, say something. I'm sure they would LOVE to hear your opinion lol. Seriously though, you can't control or dress the world. As long as the jeans welded to the skin are not yours, you should be content.
Old January 10th, 2002, 08:21 PM
Admiral

jenni, practice what you preach; "live and let live." Leave Rick alone he is only S.U.S.

Regards......
Old January 11th, 2002, 02:14 PM
First Mate

Hey Thomas, Jenni C has got a point. If Mr.Grunt can dish it out, he can expect some back. Personally I think Rick is just playing. I've never met anyone like Rick on board any ship so there you go! He might be a nice guy in person.
Old January 13th, 2002, 12:56 PM
cutiepie

I guess I am wondering how you know when you see someone who is seriously overweight that they "don't care" how they look. Is it possible that perhaps you are judging a book by it's cover?
Old January 13th, 2002, 03:12 PM
Admiral

Why even care? If people want to look like fools, what business is it of ours? You mention that you sailed out of San Juan. Rick, how many of those people you're referring to were Puerto Rican? If many were, realize that even though PR is a U.S. territory, it's a different culture than ours stateside, and their idea of 'tacky' doesn't necessarily agree with ours. And the 'dressed to the nines' with CZs? Why not? Besides.....every circus needs clowns. :o)
Old January 13th, 2002, 03:42 PM
Aaron

Blame the obesity on the FDA and the US govt. the sugar and wheat lobbies have for 40 years spent tons of money on supporting their products. And for the same 40 years the "low fat" diets have caused the general populacv to gain weight. That is not what nature intended.

As far as offending you, tough! Close your eyes! There is such a thing as equal rights. Opinionated SOB.
Old January 13th, 2002, 07:55 PM
susancruzs

Wow! Rick you're doing it again! I really would like to meet you in person because you remind me of quite a few people I know! If I didn't know them better, I'd be furious with them every day! I work in a male-dominated industry (automotive) at a warehouse with 60 men and maybe 10 women and it is an enlightening experience every day!!! One thing though, there are major cultural differences between our employees and it was noticed at our Christmas party. Everyone dressed up but they had their own ideas. I admire the Spanish speaking people I work with because they dress to the nines and the women are not self-conscious about their bodies, whether they be a size 8 or size 16! I admire them for not being obsessed with the way they look! However, I am concerned with deterioration (I blame TV and VCRs) of the young people, overweight, way too young. I am 50+ and due to stress packed on an extra 20 lbs in 2 yrs. but no one believes me because I walk 2 miles every day no matter what! Americans need to get off the couch and exercise. Now I've added to the frey, so I'll sign off! Susan will be cruisin'
Old January 15th, 2002, 01:27 PM
SuzieQ

I still like to think of a cruise as an "event" like the transatlantic crossings of yesteryear. So, taking the "right" clothes is important to me, heck it's downright fun to plan!

The attire of fellow passangers does add or detract from the atmosphere, especially at dinner. There's nothing worse than bathing suit straps peeking out from under a dress!

As for dressing to one's figure, well that should be common sense.
Old January 27th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

Who writes this stuff? Are you the ones with your top button always buttoned,shorts down to knees revealing pasty white legs and wearing sandals with black socks? I, for one, enjoy cruises as an escape from my day to day routine. I enjoy shopping and planning for the cruise, months in advance,not because there is a need,but to add to the excitement. What we choose to wear is for us,not others. Perhaps we may dress a little different on a cruise than back home at the countryclub,but that is part of the enjoyment for us. I assure you as I go aboard,offending someone wearing last years' Penny's sales rack bargain will be the last of my worries.And,should I encounter someone dressed in too tight or revealing clothes, it usually makes me feel better about my own choices. I'll still buy them a drink,I am on vacation!
Old January 27th, 2002, 08:13 PM
CHARLENE HEMPLER

WHEN I GO ON A CRUISE I AM THERE TO HAVE FUN AND ENJOY MY VACATION. I AM NOT THERE TO GAWK AT EVERYONE WHO WALKS BY AND MAKE FUN OF THERE CHOICES OF ATTIRE. TO EACH HIS OWN! YOU ARE ALL THE FIRST TO MAKE FUN OF SOMEONE OVER WEIGHT OR TOO TIGHT CLOTHES. THAT MUST MEAN YOU ARE ALL SO VERY PERFECT. WELL ISN'T THAT JUST SO SPECIAL. I HAVE NEVER MET THE PERFECT PERSON YET. THINK ABOUT IT.. WHAT ARE PEOPLE THINKING ABOUT YOU??? OH I FORGOT YOU ARE PERFECT!!
Old January 28th, 2002, 01:09 PM
Marnie

This is hilarious. Rick does this just to see everyone freak out and it works. Remember who reads this board - cruisers. If you are a frequent cruiser, there's a good chance you are fat or will be. Rick knows this. There was nothing healthy to eat on the cruise ship. Even the oatmeal wasn't real oatmeal. It was a major chore to get a veggie burger. I had to keep begging the guy to cook one up for me. The cheese burgers were always there.

What's even funnier is Carnival's nautica spa menu, it's supposed to be healthy and low fat. If that's what they consider healthy, I'd hate to see how much fat is in the other entrees. One night they had pasta in alfredo sauce on the nautica spa menu. Since when is alfredo healthy? Don't get me wrong, the food tastes great, but after the cruise I was dying for something healthy.

I have to agree with Aaron, the FDA is at least partially responsible for the obesity mess. They don't require the nutrition labels to be accurate. 15% of your tax dollars goes to healthcare. If people were to actually get healthy, the economy would be devastated.
Old January 29th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Winner

Really, Marnie, how can you blame the government for obesity? Is everything for which we should take personal responsibility the fault of someone else? If you want to watch your weight/health on board ship, try fruit and salads (low-fat or no dressing) more than cheeseburgers. It can be done.
Old January 29th, 2002, 04:00 PM
Marnie

There was very little fruit and no low fat dressing on the cruise; I was disappointed in that. But I do agree that people should take personal responsibility, but unfortunately those who care, tend to read nutrition labels and believe them. It's a shame you can't rely on them.
Old January 29th, 2002, 04:23 PM
CHARLENE HEMPLER

i guess you should just stay home and watch your diet. that is the least of my worries. there are always ways to eat better but don't gripe about it. this a vacation already!!!! just enjoy!!!!!
Old January 30th, 2002, 08:41 PM
First Mate

Yep I can tell you are one who does not like to dress nice and dress up. If you do not dress up for the formal nite and if you think it looks ridiculous to wear a formal dress for a formal nite dinner than I know you are one of the woman who I see at a nice dinner restaurent someplace on a Saturday nite with jeans and a top. Us Americans are the worst dresses there are. I am a man who likes to dress up and dress nice and when I constantly see men and woman and there children with shirts out,jeans etc. it is rather disturbing.