Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 24th, 2002, 07:55 PM
First Mate

Default Illegal Drugs on board

My gripe is why do people go out of their way to buy drugs in Mexico, Jamica and Key West and think they are going to bring them back by using cruise ships. My wife and I traveled on Carnival's Ecstasy in 1998. When the ship stopped at Key West, the DEA was waiting right outside the ship. They pulled people from three cabins on our deck. I guess the cruise lines are working with the DEA to stop the trafficing of illegal drugs. Last year while cruising on the Grand Princess, two women in their mid twenties went on a pot binge which everyone noticed. The cabin stewards told us they could not get rid of the smell and other passangers were complaining. Their cabin was amidship and ours was on the bow and we has no problem smelling it. Now I'm sure some one was waiting for them at the end of the cruise (DEA) but why do something really stupid and not even try to hide it! It was a joke for them and I guess everyone because they were like chimneys, but the ships security was allready on to them and probably had contacted law enforcement in Ft. Lauderdale. Now I now everyone does crazy things when they are young but they are not fooling when it comes the trafficing. The dogs pick up everthing and they will arrest you.
Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2002, 08:13 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Illegal Drugs on board

trafficing? Sounds like they toked the entire stash! lol....Pretty stupid. Bet after that bust the dogs really needed some "munchies" <G>. We all did stupid things when we were younger.....hopefully, if they were just smoking it and not bringing it back to sell, they did'nt get in too much trouble. There is a reason why it's called "dope".

Rick
Old January 24th, 2002, 08:42 PM
First Mate

At least they didn't smoke a bone on the Paradise!
Old January 25th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Hampton, Sheila

I don't do drugs, and I've been stopped by DEA a couple times.
Just because my luggage smelled of it or something..but let me tell
you when those dogs start following your luggage, it's no joking
matter...it's down right scary...and I have nothing to hide...
So for all those who choose to smoke the stuff...please make sure
your luggage doesn't come in contact with mine....
Old January 26th, 2002, 05:46 PM
Garry

Actually, if they smoked it all in international waters with no evidence upon returning to the United States, are they really in violation of any laws ???
Old January 26th, 2002, 07:13 PM
Robocop

Probably as they still fall under the legal jurisdiction of the country or registry and the laws in most of those countries is even stricter than those of the USA. Even if they didn't, they don't grow the stuff in the middle of the ocean you you have to have brought it aboard from some port and you DO NOT want to get caught with it in a foriegn port! I once saw a young man stopped while attempting to go on the pier in Jamaica to reboard a ship. The Police Officer stopped the man and ordered him to remove his boot and he then went directly to the false heel and removed some pot and then placed the individual under arrest and he went bye-bye. I did not see this individual again on the cruise so feel like he stayed there. The other question I have is why did this Officer pick this individual out and immediately go to the right boot and inspect the heel to find his stash? Sounds like someone told him who to look for and where it was. Keep that in mind if you are foolish enough to try a stunt like that. Also remember, the Bill of Rights only apply if you are in the USA. You have no rights, nothing, in a foriegn country
Jim
Old January 30th, 2002, 08:56 PM
Admiral

Carnival has told me that someone gets busted at the end of every cruise visiting Jamaica. I've heard cruise directors warning passengers about the dogs in Miami, that they should dump their stuff.

I imagine lots of first time cruisers don't know that the DEA will have their dogs searching bags before they ever reach them.

But they pay a very high price for their stupidity, don't you think?
Mike wrote:
>
> My gripe is why do people go out of their way to buy drugs in
> Mexico, Jamica and Key West and think they are going to bring
> them back by using cruise ships. My wife and I traveled on
> Carnival's Ecstasy in 1998. When the ship stopped at Key
> West, the DEA was waiting right outside the ship. They
> pulled people from three cabins on our deck. I guess the
> cruise lines are working with the DEA to stop the trafficing
> of illegal drugs. Last year while cruising on the Grand
> Princess, two women in their mid twenties went on a pot binge
> which everyone noticed. The cabin stewards told us they
> could not get rid of the smell and other passangers were
> complaining. Their cabin was amidship and ours was on the
> bow and we has no problem smelling it. Now I'm sure some one
> was waiting for them at the end of the cruise (DEA) but why
> do something really stupid and not even try to hide it! It
> was a joke for them and I guess everyone because they were
> like chimneys, but the ships security was allready on to them
> and probably had contacted law enforcement in Ft. Lauderdale.
> Now I now everyone does crazy things when they are young but
> they are not fooling when it comes the trafficing. The dogs
> pick up everthing and they will arrest you.
Old January 31st, 2002, 12:33 PM
Sue Sue

What a great way of extending your vacation!!! Very very stupid.
Old January 31st, 2002, 11:47 PM
First Mate

Bringing back pot from Jamaica into the U.S. is just plain stupid. Yes the dogs are there sniffing you and your luggage, and if you are caught with a couple of seeds or stalks you Will be refused entry to the U.S. and told to remain on the ship until you can disembark at a foreign port (At your own expense).
In other words smoke it all before you get back to Miami or risk ruining your vacation.

P.S. The buds are bigger and better here in B.C. anyway.....

Paul
Old February 7th, 2002, 01:34 AM
FloridaLvr

How idiotic for anyone to use this stuff or even joke about it! Yes, we all notice that some of you know the 'cool' words for this garbage! I am NOT impressed!
This is how stupid the users are-after September 11, security has gotten so much tighter & a few weeks ago, it was announced that they were going to look thru EVERY bag-even checked ones. They will always have dogs helping to check things out. So, why risk it?
It is not worth it! It isn't even funny when you joke about it! One of these days, you are going to be asked why your bags smell like marijuana when all you did was have your bags next to the pot smokers bags. Maybe it won't be so funny then.
My daughter lives in a duplex-thank goodness she is getting ready to move into her own home-& I was visiting her one evening & helping her get things organized to move. While I was in her laundry room in the basement, I could smell the marijuana from the adjoining basement. Both have finished family rooms & they were really having a 'high old time'! It reeked! It came thru the walls just like there WERE no walls! It was so disgusting! I had to open her patio door & I didn't think it was ever going to air out! I was so afraid her furniture was going to smell like that junk! It is like cigarette smoke-it will get into the fabrics & stink!