Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 30th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Admiral

Default Chair Savers

You know how people are always griping about cruisers who come out early in the morning and put some nominal personal belongings and a towel to save their favorate deck lounges for "Later".
Here's how one person I observed got a little revenge every day.
He came out and moved one set of belongings a few chairs away
from the other. Invariably when the people came out there were 3 or 4 people in between and of course by that time no other open "prime seats". After a couple of days you never saw those people in the area again. Best of all , who could they complain to?
No this was not me doing this (But sometimes I wish it was).
Any thoughts?
How would you apply the same process to hot tub hoggers(kids or adults), buffet line jumpers etc..
I personally don't get too nuts about these things because I'm on vacation, but, knowing that these things bother others, I thought I'd open the forum.
Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Chair Savers

What is the proper way to move someones things if you've been watching a chaise and you know it's being saved for someone who hasn't shown in a long time? Do you contact a pool attendant or do you just politely move them and to where?
Old January 30th, 2002, 04:11 PM
Shar

Personally, I'd assume that if the pool attendant hadn't moved the items they aren't going to. We could get real creative on what to do with the belongings...how about dropping them in the towel laundry baskets?

Shar
Old January 30th, 2002, 04:36 PM
Admiral

Bill.......I like it! I may do that next cruise
Rick
Old January 30th, 2002, 04:54 PM
Admiral

The best part is watching them return to the chairs and seeing their stuff 3 or 4 chairs apart. You know they want to say something to somebody, but who? Even if they did, the people sitting in the chairs in between are not in on it, so, they truly don't have a clue.
I do not hold either patent or trademark on this idea, it belongs in the public domain, so feel free to use it.
Old January 30th, 2002, 05:00 PM
Admiral

Truly I'd say either thing is fine, I think the towel bin is also fine if
they only left a towel. Might be a bit extreme if they left a book or a beach bag etc. The beauty of the thing, no matter where you move the stuff is, who are they going to complain to? Drives them crazy to just separate their stuff though. They still have the reserved chairs, just not together. Honestly it's like watching candid camera
as they try to figure out how/what happened and look around for someone to say something to.
Old January 30th, 2002, 05:07 PM
gogetter

Hello,

Not counting older ships with only one pool.

I have been on 6 Carnival cruises 2 Premier and a RCCL ship.

I have NEVER witnessed this phenomenon. For the life of me i can't see where a ship with 2,3 or 4 pools now, would have a problem with this. My funniest experience was on the Imagination. There were so many EMPTY chairs by the pool i had to move some, just to make way to walk.

So....I have come up with a conclusions:

1....People do not know that there are more than one pool on the ship.

I will let you all know when i go on the Pride next month.....3 pools..(i won''t count the kiddie pool) I KNOW there will be chairs......
Old January 30th, 2002, 06:14 PM
Admiral

Chairs yes, but Prime Chairs, maybe not. The people who do this must have THE chair that gives them optimum whatever (sun , view,
short walk to the food , I don't know). What I do know is that our travelling companion has turned what is a common gripe, into a terrific day time entertainment.
Old January 30th, 2002, 08:19 PM
Roe-Z

What do you say if you get caught (like in the process) of moving things? Like as you are doing the change, they are walking back to those chairs and you see them coming right at you. Do you look like a deer caught in the headlights?
Old January 31st, 2002, 12:17 AM
mlbcruiser

Well, Bill's idea isn't a bad one. Just sort of a practical joke. But really, I don't think I could in good concience throw someone's things in a towel bin where they might never find them. How long would you say someone should wait to see if a person is coming back? This would be kind of a helpful poll. I have left my chair many times just to go get a drink or something in my cabin & ended up being gone unexpectedly longer than I thought. Like a half hour or 45 min. And I have had my things laid on the deck as well as sometimes still had my chair, etc., left alone. -But I really wasn't saving my chair all morning or anything. I sort of think you should allow the person enough time to grab a bite of lunch or something if it's that time of day. We often cruise in March, during Spring Break. Was once on the Destiny when she broke a record for the most people ever on a ship. Believe me, there ARE times when you can't find ANY chair, in a prime area or not. Generally, though, after about l p.m., some passengers are getting so fried that then you can find one & still have good sun. I have been screamed at for scooting a chaise lounge that I must have passed 6 times during a 45 min. period. Nothing was on the chair. It was near this woman & she was talking to someone in the next chair. She made SUCH a big (& loud!) deal over it & wouldn't shut up. I finally just let the doggone thing go after about 30 ft. of dragging. She took it as such an affront! Heads were turning & popping up all over! Anyway, I was just wondering what everyone thinks is enough time to wait before taking an unoccupied chair.
Old January 31st, 2002, 09:04 AM
cruz-b4

I would say if you want your pool chair and your lunch too then fold it up and carry it to the dining room with you or eat at the pool or on deck.Slot machines are more fun,can we start tying towels to the arms to reserve our slot for after dinner.Or maybe just tell people their towel was moved to the theater to reserve their set for tonights show.
Old January 31st, 2002, 11:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Mlbcruiser,
I would certainly say, that after 30 minutes the chair should be yours, thats enough time for some to claim it as theirs, I think thats fair?

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old January 31st, 2002, 12:05 PM
Shar

The suggestion I made above about the towel hamper was in jest, I'd probably put the person's items on the deck or give them to a local attendant.

If you're leaving your chair for a short time, how about one of those ajustable signs like "Back at 10:15am" or a sign saying "I'm in the pool!"? Personally, I've given the benefit of the doubt while standing around watching the views over the rails for over an hour. IMHO the length of time it would take for a restroom break would be about it, maybe 10 minutes? While taking pictures, I have put my stuff next to an absent person's items on a chair, just to keep it off a wet deck :o).

Shar
Old January 31st, 2002, 05:42 PM
Admiral

Let's try to keep this thread leaning towards the light and humorous side. How about throwing the stuff overboard?
Old January 31st, 2002, 05:51 PM
Shar

You could make kite tails out of any clothing material left behind :o)
Old February 1st, 2002, 12:49 PM
Marnie

I don't understand why people don't take advantage of the earlier sun, you're less likely to burn and you can still get a tan at 9am. I saw a few saving chairs by us, they didn't show up until 11 am. I was gone by around 1pm. I saw them at dinner and they looked like lobsters. Maybe they'll get a clue next time. Ha! Ha! doubt it.
Old February 1st, 2002, 01:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have an idea, if it appears someone is saving a chair for too long, go take a swim in the pool and don't dry off when you come out, make sure you are soaking wet and sit down right on their stuff. Then when they come back and give you a dirty look, say "oh, I am sorry did I take your chair?" Then get up and leave, they will now have to deal with a wet chair, book, shirt, towel etc....
Old February 1st, 2002, 02:36 PM
Admiral

I like this.Variation on this theme. Sit down wet on their stuff and then get up. Leave them with the wet stuff. This could also be added to the opening premise of this thread, move the stuff a few chairs apart, but wet. The best part of this is the show. Watching the looks on peoples faces when they don't know who to yell at , question or complain to. Remember, we're on vacation, no fights or hassles,we're keeping it light and humorous while playing with someone's head.
Old February 1st, 2002, 02:43 PM
Shar

Great, Jenn! :o))