Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 31st, 2002, 11:06 PM
darci

Default Too Casual Cruising

I completely argee about the too casual atmosphere of cruising. When I'm at dinner on a formal night, I cannot believe it when I see some couple or family walk into the dining room in jeans and flannel shirts. It's not as if there aren't other options for dining if they want to stay "sloppy chic". We as a nation have become much too casual about everything in our lives. We're casual about parenting our children and we're casual about our appearance. I find it interesting that many companies who just a few years ago embraced casual dress in the workplace, are now reversing that and requiring their employees to dress professionally. I can't seem to get peole to understand that dressing up for formal night is one of the best parts of cruising, and the one thing that will most likely provide the best cruise memories. If you want to be casual, then cruise on one of the ships made for casual cruising like Windjammer or Windstar.
Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2002, 02:05 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Too Casual Cruising

you state....."I can't seem to get peole to understand that dressing up for formal night is one of the best parts of cruising, and the one thing that will most likely provide the best cruise memories. "........That is your opinion, so it's okay if some don't agree about whats the best part of cruising.
Old February 1st, 2002, 02:13 PM
Marnie

I don't know if being casual about our appearance is up there with being casual about more important things like raising children, but it certainly shows who has problems conforming to a simple rule. Conformity is so much easier than non-conformity. Why is it so difficult for some people? If you want to eat dinner in the dining room, you dress up. If you don't want to dress up, you eat on the Lido deck. Not a big deal. How much are you really going to miss out on by eating on the Lido deck? I don't like dressing up either, but I think the cruiselines are more than fair to all guests by offering the options.
Old January 14th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnie
I don't know if being casual about our appearance is up there with being casual about more important things like raising children, but it certainly shows who has problems conforming to a simple rule. Conformity is so much easier than non-conformity. Why is it so difficult for some people? If you want to eat dinner in the dining room, you dress up. If you don't want to dress up, you eat on the Lido deck. Not a big deal. How much are you really going to miss out on by eating on the Lido deck? I don't like dressing up either, but I think the cruiselines are more than fair to all guests by offering the options.
so true! and as far as I am concerned with the "This is my vacation why do I have to dress up?" I feel like saying-yes it is fine to go in whatever you are wearing after a day in an amusemant park to Bob Evans or Cracker Barrel. Heck after a day like that you are TOO tired to go back to the hotel and change clothing-but cruising is differant-it is a very relaxing vacation-low key-and changing for dinner is simple and no big deal-since your room is usually just a couple of decks from the dinningroom.

Now that many lines allow jeans at dinner. Why the big deal about "formal night" which is real not formal anyway-you dress up for "after 5"- there no need to wear a ballgown or tux if you do not want to-just dress up a couple of notches more then normal!
Old January 14th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Admiral

Okay a big question: What exactly do you feel you are conforming too? Those that feel they should "conform"?

A ship rule, no,,,, thats just a recommendation, Not a RULE

So what are you conforming to is "others expectations" of you. People you have never met before or will see again,,mmm.

Sorry never done the cattle truck thing in that all those in the truck face the same way as you head towards....
Old January 14th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Beginner

I am going on my first cruise this Sunday, and I am looking forward to dressing up! Formal attire means just that, formal dresses & tuxes/dark suits. Where do jeans and t-shirts fall under the formal category??
Old January 14th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

I have 50 cruises under my belt, my motto is:
LIVE AND LET LIVE
I just mind my own business, not others'

Captain
Old January 15th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Passenger

Default ???????????????

This is a subject that is fact ,you want to be unformal in a sea of well dressed cruisemates thats up to you,but please no lovebeads or nehru jackets can i wear my pinkie ring you gals can splash a lil pitulie oil on wait this is 2008??
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Admiral

Default Re: ???????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhd
This is a subject that is fact ,you want to be unformal in a sea of well dressed cruisemates thats up to you,but please no lovebeads or nehru jackets can i wear my pinkie ring you gals can splash a lil pitulie oil on wait this is 2008??
Nehru jackets? Ya have something against Indians Big daddy in high definition

best food on the planet is from India, JMHO

Captain
Old January 15th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Passenger

No i like indians but that fashion jacket lasted all of maybe one month,besides im more of a rolling stones type,forget the beatles
Old January 15th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Admiral

Quote:
No i like indians but that fashion jacket lasted all of maybe one month,besides im more of a rolling stones type,forget the beatles
so you are saying you're a BROWN SUGAR or START ME UP kinda guy? Hope you dont have any SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL, either

Captain
Old January 15th, 2008, 08:33 PM
First Mate

This thread is getting too wierd, so let me back up a few entries. A"suggestion" not a "rule"??? I don't think so, formal attire is listed as REQUIRED, often on a sign right at the entrance to the dining room, as well as on your daily info.
My complaint is with the term "informal". Perhaps if this was changed to "semi-formal" there would be less confusion. People seem to know, for the most part, what formal means and also casual. But informal runs the gamut from VERY casual up to what would be acceptable as formal. To many cruisers informal equals NOT formal therefore I can wear whatever I want.
I enjoy dressing up for formal night. What chance do I have at home to put on the ritz and feel like Cinderella at the ball.
Old January 16th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Passenger

Default No big deal

Dont let the lil things bother you,if you feel and look great thats all that matters. Theres no fashion police onboard as far as i know Dont worry be happy
Old January 16th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Sassy2005

I love the idea of formal night. DH and I haven't cruised yet, ut we are rather excited about dressing up. There aren't many occassions for the average adult to dress up, so why not enjoy it??? Like many people have said, if you despise dressing up, then eat elsewhere on those evenings!

Old January 16th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Beginner

That's usually the problem though... people who despise dressing up are not eating elsewhere on those evenings, they're still coming to the main dining room in shorts and whatnot... but blame can be passed to the cruise ships for not being more strict on their dress codes.
Old February 5th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by precious_blue
That's usually the problem though... people who despise dressing up are not eating elsewhere on those evenings, they're still coming to the main dining room in shorts and whatnot... but blame can be passed to the cruise ships for not being more strict on their dress codes.
There's the answer,cruise lines need to enforce the rules.
Old February 6th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

I enjoy formal evenings in the dining room. If the cruise staff doesn't enforce the dress code and passengers wish to show up for dinner in jeans and flannel shirts and are comfortable with that (I hear that rebel yell!) - hey, who am I to judge!?

If DH & I decide to skip formal night(s), we prefer to eat at one of the other dining venues.

Mooooooo!
Old February 6th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Admiral

Default Re: ???????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainEdwardJohnSmith
Quote:
Nehru jackets? Ya have something against Indians Big daddy in high definition

best food on the planet is from India, JMHO

Captain
I had a bright green nehru shirt with a black and gold collar and a stripe of the same color where the buttons were.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.