Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 6th, 2002, 07:47 PM
Tigger

Default With alternative dining, dress codes are a non-is

Our last cruise on the Splendour of the Seas, we opted to use the alternative dining in the Windjammer Cafe. Still had waiters but had to get our own salads (not a biggy). The food was the same as the dining room only when I ordered steak it was cooked to perfection, something that has never happened in the dinning room (always over cooked and cold). It was a very quiet atmosphere, organ music in the background. NO clanging of dishes, constant chatter or unpleasant tablemates. We still used the dining room for formal nights but I liked the alternative dining much more. Before you start, we did tip the dining room waiters the full amount requested and also the waiters in the Windjammer. We dressed in proper attire for a restaurant but there was no ATTITUDE going on with the other passengers, we had a good meal and went our merry way.
Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2002, 07:49 PM
Tigger

Default Re: With alternative dining, dress codes are a no

That is a non-issue in the title.
Old February 7th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Winner

It seems you have just proven that dress codes ARE the issue. You apparently chose to dine in Windjammer rather than the main dining room; did you opt for that rather than follow the dining room dress code? If so, you have understood what many are saying on this board: if you don't prefer to dress formally on formal nights, there is always the alternative restaurant. Good for you!
Old February 8th, 2002, 12:43 AM
Tigger

Exactly my point, my husband and I were dressed neatly but wanted to try the Windjammer, surprisingly most of the people in the Windjammer were dressed nicely, no jeans, shorts, tshirts or tank tops. I found the whole experience very relaxing, everyone was friendly. I think that some people take themselves to seriously and make it unpleasant for other passengers. We plan on using the Windjammer for dinner more often on our next cruise.
Old February 8th, 2002, 01:27 AM
Admiral

not us......we have class and always eat in the main dining room! <G>
Rick
Old February 9th, 2002, 05:27 PM
Admiral

On our last cruise, we knew we would be exhausted from running around all day in port before the second formal night.

We made a reservation for the alternative restaurant at 8:00. I put on a get-up that would suit either, my husband just put on khakis, a golf shirt, and a blazer. When we got there, the place was half empty, the salads (buffet) looked quite tired, the staff was surly and it just was NOT inviting.

"Get yourself back to the cabin and pack yourself into the tux," said I unto the husband. "Meet you in the bar." We were just a bit late for second sitting.

We were both really glad that we did.

The only class I have is the year I graduated.
Old February 9th, 2002, 06:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree with you completely. And that is after taking plus or minus 75 cruises starting in l964.