Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 8th, 2002, 04:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Obey the Dress Codes

I find myself disturbed by what has been happening on the ships lately. A formal night should mean formal (not suits, but tuxes.) Also, it should mean everywhere on the ship all evening.

I resent looking at some of the slobs (and I do mean slobs) who have the audacity to come down to the showroom (I admit they ate in the Lido) without dressing properly. That is an insult to everyone else on board.

It is bad enough that back in the states these days I see people going to the theater in jeans, why does this have to be tolerated on a cruise ship????
Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2002, 04:15 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Obey the Dress Codes

how does one dressing the way they feel comfortable "insult" all aboard the ship. Why are you right and they are wrong? <G> As long as people are nice and friendly, I don't care how they dress (within reason....of course dirty, torn etc clothing should not be worn).
Rick
Old February 8th, 2002, 05:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Rick wrote:
>
> Why are you right and they are wrong?
> I don't care
> how they dress (within reason....of course dirty, torn etc
> clothing should not be worn).
> Rick

Rick..Why not dirty, torn etc? Why are you right and they are wrong? Isn't it all a matter of standards?
The cruise lines "attempt" to set a standard that is common for everyone. Otherwise everyone's standard is acceptable.... and dirty, torn etc. is OK

Regards,
Kuki
Old February 8th, 2002, 05:33 PM
Admiral

true...but we live in a society where standards are different for different people. You take a large cross section of American society..put them all together on a ship and you will get different dress attitudes. In one week, no one is going to change their attitude on whats appropriate and whats not. The only solution for the "dress" problem is for the cruise line to change "recommended" to "required" and enforce it. They will never do that consistantly . Since they won't, all this discussion becomes a mute point. If you don't like your table mates because of their dress...then complain or change tables. Also, I hate to shock some here, but after paying for the cruise not everyone has the money to go out and buy suits or rent tux's for the cruise. Should they not cruise because they are on a tight budget? Remember the key word is "recommended". Some here talk about the "me" generation.......well that applies to everyone.....we "me" all want things the way we think they should be <G>. We are "me". Common sense should dictate that when you put 3000 + pax on something the size of a cruise ship....there will be violations of the "recommended" dress code. Come on people.....get realistic and don't let others different opinion of dress affect your cruise.
Rick
Old February 8th, 2002, 08:48 PM
Roe-Z

Very good kuki. I was thinging the same thing and you wrote it first! Boy, I love reading these threads...never know what you are going to read!! Babies and dress codes seem to be the hot topic. Love it! Like all this is going to make a difference when you are cruising.. I too write my opinion, but when I am on that ship...I really don't care as long as I get good service, my cabin is clean and the food is good and plentyful! Of course, if I had to be next to a smelly person, I could always pretend I was in line at the Magic Kingdom with a tourist who is "on vacation". YUK!! Yes, for that I would have to move my seat!!
Old February 8th, 2002, 09:11 PM
Admiral

Roe-Z wrote:
Like all this is going to make
> a difference when you are cruising..

Roe.. in many (probably most) ways you're exactly right. Though certainly my feelings, the original article was written to create a dialogue to hear what others thought. It's certainly done that<G>
And, frankly, I've been surprised so many responses have been in favor of "my more traditional viewpoint".

I've submitted my next article, which will likely be on the front page soon. We'll have to wait and see what the reaction to that one is ..

Regards,
Kuki
Old February 9th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Admiral

Well, Rick ...

Maybe without knowing it, you put your finger straight on the controversy button.

Times were when cruisers were NOT a large cross-section of American (or international, for that matter) society.

Times were when people did not "cruise", they did "crossings" back and forth to Europe and other locations.

There is still that mystique of "crossings" when Lady Astor refused to dine with the help (read that: the Captain).

Possibly to their discredit, cruise lines' ad agencies continue to promulagte that mystique. All women are beautiful (even old ones such as I am), all men wear the tuxen, and there is never anyone else around to disturb you on deck whilst you sip champagne from fluted glasses. Oh, yes, and the weather is always beautiful.

These days, because of mass marketing, you are more likely to see a guy in a Pittsburgh Steelers T-shirt (no offense meant to anyone from Pittsburgh) and a baseball cap worn backwards, sipping a brewski than those guys in the ads.

Not that I have any problem with sipping a brewski in hot weather.

There will always be the old dragons (and I am probably one of them) who would love for things to be the way it used to be.

That said, I do believe that dress codes should be honored. Hairy-armpitted guys wearing tank tops after six in the evening should be frog-marched back to their cabins. Ladies (OK, women) who like to put on the Spandex slut look should receive the same treatment.

But, who is going to be the Fashion Police if we don't have the intelligence and respect for others to police ourselves? Or, for that matter, take the time to read the dress code for the evening. This begs a vexing question ... can some of these people even READ?

There is an easy answer. Pay $5K/pp for an upscale cruise and the problem will not occur. The people on those cruises are NOT a cross-section.

The times, they are a'changing.

SA
Old February 9th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Admiral

Rick, I'm with you one hundred percent. I still say live and let live and let us not judge other people.
Old February 9th, 2002, 01:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

When you have been cruising for years, and have become accustomed to the sophisticated atmosphere, it is difficult to adjust to the boorish individuals who try to take over the ships.

I try to sail only on smaller to mid-size ships. That way the crowd is not quite as young and uncultured.

It is unfortunate that we in the US are doing away with good manners and consideration of others. I agree that ships should designate whether they want to adhere to their dress codes or not. I remember when all you had to do was report non-compliance to the hotel manager and that person was told in unequivocal terms to comply with the code, remain in his cabin, or be put ashore.
Old February 9th, 2002, 02:32 PM
Admiral

If things were that rigid right now, I believe I would stay on shore, and the ships would sail half empty.
Old February 9th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

That's because, like everyone else, they got greedy and built too many ships.

I remember the elegant teas with the string quartets playing. (Thank goodness HAL still has the lovely music even at dinner..)

I also remember the late night shows with the comics. They have also gone because the new passengers are not sophisticated enough for that kind of entertainment.

I am not rigid. I believe everybody is entitled to his pleasure. but let them sail on a different ship.
Old February 9th, 2002, 06:18 PM
Admiral

what ya mean" without knowing it"? I know all! lol
Old February 9th, 2002, 10:16 PM
Admiral

Just about all the comedians on Carnival have late night shows, but I doubt if you would enjoy cruising on that line due to the loud music and wild behavior.
Old February 10th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

What Paul said is exactly my point. Let the informal boors have their Carnival Cruise Line (on which I wouldn't be caught dead.) But let us have our formal lines as well.

Give the newcomers from the flyover states their short cruises (which they seem to want) and give us the leisurely long cruises on more upscale ships. But---they need not be as upscale as to be unaffordable like Seabourn or Silverseas,

I have enjoyed HAL, Royal Caribbean, Princess and Cunard. Leave Carnival and NCL to the boors.
Old February 10th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Admiral

seagoingJLW wrote:
>
. Let the informal boors
> have their Carnival Cruise Line (on which I wouldn't be
> caught dead.) .
> Leave Carnival and NCL to the boors.

I've sailed Carnival 6 times, and on all my sailings, dress on formal nights has been as dressy, if not more so, than my cruises on RCI, Princess, HAL, and Celebrity. Perhaps not equal to my Seabourn cruises, where people stay dressed all evening.

I've seen many people change into more casual wear after dinner, but that's been true on all the cruise lines, except Seabourn.

The way people are dressed really doesn't define their character. Their unwillingness to compromise to the "suggested rules of behavior" onboard does more to. But, I've seen people who choose to dress on formal nights, CHOOSE other "rules" which don't apply to them. Equally "boorish behavior" in my book.

The people who are boors, are boors on which ever cruise line they sail. In my experience Carnvial and NCL certainly haven't cornered the market on them.

Regards,
Kuki
Old February 10th, 2002, 11:15 PM
Admiral

Paul,

As a stockholder of both Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (the parent of both Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises) and P&O Princess Cruises Plc. (the parent of Princess Cruises here in the States), I have a very simple request. If you don't wish to obey the rules, please book elsewhere. That way, you won't antagonize the many passengers who do obey the rules and our personnel won't have to spoil your vacation by enforcing the rules against you. Thus, everybody will be happier.

Thank you.

Norm.
Old February 10th, 2002, 11:21 PM
Admiral

SeagoingJLW,

A formal night should mean formal (not suits, but tuxes.)

I agree completely in principle, but the reality is that most cruise lines now adhere to a modified formal dress standard for gentlemen on so-called "formal" nights. The modified standard admits a dark suit in addition to the traditional "black tie" (tuxedo or dinner jacket).

I also saw a notice on one cruise that the evening attire was to be worn "after 5:00 PM" -- another social faux pas since "black tie" is never proper before 6:00 PM.

Norm.