Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 8th, 2002, 06:02 PM
Passenger

Default yes. yes.yes. I agree.

Kuki,

You expressed our views exactly. Trying to fill the many cabins to help the bottom line of revenue, is like a teacher allowing his students to do whatever they want in the classroom as long as they stay happy. But there is some discipline needed with the latter and certain standards to uphold with both groups.

The cruiseline attitudes are "dumbing down" the beautiful experience one is supposed to acquire from this kind of excursion.

Dress codes, behavior codes, civilized conduct all must be the standard to be upheld, whether one is on land or sea.

Appealing to the mass market is degrading to all.
Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2002, 06:46 PM
Passenger

Default Re: yes. yes.yes. I agree.

Yes.. I also agree.
I remember when airplane passsengers dressed up to fly (not dressed like they were going to opour concrete in the backyard). I call the lowering standards of the airline industry "Inviting in the Greyhound Bus travelers".
The cruise industry is going the same direction -- in fact the Alaska cruises have already gone there.
The only safety seems to be a combination of the right lines (certaibnly not Carnival or Princess) and longer duragtion cruises.
The clientle for 10 day or even longer cruises is certainly different for the $200 five day mombo to Bahama crowd.
Old February 8th, 2002, 08:20 PM
Passenger

Thank you, Kuki, for expressing it so well. It is unfortunate that those who have never cruised and would like to, obviously think it must be a great thing to try. Well then, try the product and quit trying to make it into just some other travel or land-based experience. It's not and that's what makes it special and why one was interested in trying it.

I shall never comprehend why it is so difficult a task to try something new -- yes, dress for dinner. It is amazing how far differently people behave when doing so. If that is the policy, it only is showing respect for others. The entire cruise is only enriched by all those strangers at dinner who often become friends by cruise end. I can dine in jeans with my immediate party at home at Jack-in-the-Box.

Okay, you've cruised and this time you want a casual environment. You've tried the traditional cruising and still would rather pass. Fine. Options are available.

But, pay attention cruise line operators... You'd better enforce dress policy for the traditionalists and quit diluting the entire product. You are undermining the uniqueness of cruising and it will eventually bite you in the butt. You've given options to those who want to go casual. BUT, you are also taking away the option of formality the majority still want.

Sammy
Old February 8th, 2002, 11:48 PM
Admiral

dress to fly? My Gawd, how old are you? lol
Rick
Old February 9th, 2002, 07:17 AM
Jerry Robinson

Here is another yes! The whole idea of cruising is to do something different than your normal lives, and my wife and I like to "dress up" and put on our formal wear. We prefer the formal dinning room and meeting new people. I am casual every day when I am not cruising!
Old February 9th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Passenger

Rick, I am 70. Does that invalidate my experience or opinion?
By the way, how old are you?
Old February 9th, 2002, 01:14 PM
Admiral

Jerry, Jerry Jerry. Why would anyone want to dress up to fly crowded like sardines as they are in today's aircraft unless they are wealthy enough to always fly first class. And, then, to dine on pretzels and coke. Also, I don't think it is nice to slam Greyhound Bus travelers as if they are beneath yoiur social class. If you really feel that way, I think I'd rather cruise with the bus brigade.
Old February 9th, 2002, 07:34 PM
First Mate

I agree whole-heartedly also. Most of my daily life is relatively casual these days. I look forward to formal night on the cruises and hope they can continue. On another board, some time last year, I was somewhat "attacked" because I really wanted to keep formal night "formal0." I was told was I basing my good time on the outfit the person next to me was wearing and I was a very shallow person. All I wanted to say was "just dress accordingly" (to any particular function) and don't take formal night away from those of us who wanted it. There are other alternatives on a ship if someone doesn't care to dress formal for that evening(s). Why must they insist that the dress code be lessened for them?
Old February 11th, 2002, 04:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

I also agree. I am 39 and have been cruising since 1984. Man, what a change. I still love going on the ocean; but, the cruise experience is nothing like it was. I have a very casual life at home. Cruising has giving us something different in our lives. I think that the cruise lines had better watch out. They say that only 10% have cruised, If they lose half of those because they won't enforce their own rules where will they be? I, personally, would like to see cruising stay more formal.
Old February 13th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Marnie

Jerry, question for you about dressing up to fly. I couldn't tell if you were kidding. Did flying used to be a pleasant experience? I can't imagine dressing up.

I have only been flying for about 10 years and it's always been a very uncomfortable experience. Much more uncomfortable than Greyhound. Not only are the seats uncomfortable but it's unbearably hot. So I always wear tank tops and cotton pants. I realize I look a mess, but it's hard for me to imagine anything else.

I sincerely hope the passengers don't end up like Greyhound bus passengers. I used to use Greyhound routinely, and it could get pretty scary.
Old February 14th, 2002, 02:53 PM
dmize

Hurray for Kuki! I've eliminated about all lines but HAL. I'm sure there all fellow passengers who want to dress down after dinner, but on HAL you won't see them in the public (indoor) areas. It's not permitted. And it is enforced. I'd like to see more discussion on these boards regarding sending a message to the lines to cater not to everyone and define their atmosphere. ( I put on my best evening earrings as I type this message.) Sign me stylish.
Old February 14th, 2002, 07:34 PM
Admiral

Guess I'll never get to cruise HAL, and it won't be my loss.
Old February 14th, 2002, 09:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

dmize wrote:
>
> Hurray for Kuki! I've eliminated about all lines but HAL. I'm
> sure there all fellow passengers who want to dress down after
> dinner, but on HAL you won't see them in the public (indoor)
> areas. It's not permitted. And it is enforced.

I've sailed HAL twice.. I noticed no differences in dress than on my cruises on other lines. And saw no more enforcement from the staff.

The only thing on HAL was loungers in the sun were never a problem to get.. shady spots were tougher <G>

Regards,
Kuki
Old February 28th, 2002, 11:48 PM
Passenger

I think that everyone agrees that cruising is a great vacation. I think everyone wants to have a good time. I think some people have forgotten the main philosophy in life is " Live and Let Live". I'm going on a trip with my husband alone for the first time in five years, and I will not let the way someonelse looks or acts affect our good time! Anyone who does , well let's just say they need to seriously reavaluate their purpose in life. Come on , let's all just have a pleasurable trip . END OF STORY!