Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 10th, 2002, 04:17 PM
Admiral

Default Curfew for young teens

I have seen posts, and observed first hand on cruises, parents who seem to think that there are no curfew rules for young teens on ship(13-16). Why? At home I would hope there are rules that say they will be home at a certain time. BUT on ship, the same parents seem to think its okay to allow their teens to roam the ship as late as the teen wants. Why? Remember that a ship is a floating small town. Would you let you teen wander around a small town, late at night, without some sort of parental supervision? I would hope not. For their own safety and common courtesy to fellow pax, be the same parent on ship as you are at home please. Too many times, late at night, Deb and I have to say to young teens sitting on a stairway.....move because we don't climb over kids. Do you know where your teens are and what they are doing?
Rick
Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2002, 05:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Curfew for young teens

Hi Rick,
We've also followed the same rules at home while cruising with our kids, its just common sense, don't U think?

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old February 10th, 2002, 05:57 PM
Mary Lou

I agree ....seems some parents think the kids are perfectly safe on the ship, no matter what time of night (or very early morning). However, maybe these same kids don't have much of a curfew at home either? It is hard to say. I'm sure if I had traveled with my teens, they would have had a curfew.
Mary Lou
Thursday Chat Host
Old February 10th, 2002, 06:30 PM
Robocop

I think quite a bit has to do with the trust you have in your teen. When we first cruised we took our then 14 yr old son and even though he was with us anytime we were in port and also at dinner and most shows, we trusted him to act properly as he was taught and he had a wonderful time and quite often didn't come in until after 1 am. He was with friends in the disco or at the game playing areas and we had no worries. Now understand I do not say that ALL kids can be given this type of trust, one of ours we certainly wouldn't have, but Kris was very well behaved and could be trusted to use good judgement and he earned his 'freedom'. Had he violated any rules he knows what would have happened.
Jim
Old February 10th, 2002, 06:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Rick wrote:
>
> I have seen posts, and observed first hand on cruises,
> parents who seem to think that there are no curfew rules for
> young teens on ship(13-16). Why?

Rick.. it's simple.. They paid for their vacation, and no one is going to tell them..... (in this case)
how to treat their kids <G>

Regards,
Kuki.. who's 15 year old ran amok on the Golden over New Years
Old February 10th, 2002, 06:48 PM
Admiral

touche' ...lol
Rick
Old February 10th, 2002, 06:49 PM
First Mate

I definately think there should be a curfew for teens. If they didn't share their pot with me I would think them ill mannered. LMAO
Old February 11th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

No 14 yo should be allowed to roam the ship free. Sorry, call me old fashioned. If he/she needs to run to the buffet to grab something to snack on and IMMEDIATELTY return with the food - ok. Other than that sort of thing, he/she should be with mom or dad. But the parents that allow this are the same ones who drop their kids off at the mall alone for hours.
Old February 11th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Admiral

Oh. good. At least we're off the toddler subject

I don't have a huge problem with teens hanging with their pals until a "decent" hour but I have a HUGE problem with them doing that hanging out in cabins or other places behind closed doors without adult supervision.

I also believe that parents should set check-in times and curfews. Once the teenish ones establish on-board friendships, I believe that the parents should ask to met the other kids' parents and set some rules. Just the way we do at home.

Some of us who have remote memories of the sixties have "smell memory", too. When I get a contact high from a late-night stroll with Cap'n Queeg, I can only assume that a little doobie is being passed around. And that's on an open deck.

(Note to teens ... always smoke the sweet leaf on the stern so the smell carries DOWNWIND.)

Parents are not as dumb as they look ... their job is to embarass teenagers at every possible opportunity ... but their REAL job is to take CARE of those precious kids.

Letting them run wild is NOT taking care of them.

pamda -- The Old-Fashioned
Old February 13th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

Pamda - "old fashioned" - I don't think so. Your last sentence says it all. Too many parents are too busy trying to be buds that they forget to be parents. As much as it hurts when my 8 yo tells me he "hates" me - I know I must be doing my job right.
Old February 13th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Doug R.

I think as new ships are constructed they should have a specially constructed "brig" for unruly teens. Lock thier unruly little butts up with nothing to do all day but watch old Lawrence Welk videos 16 hours a day without a break. They can be checked on every 4 hours or so to see if they have been traumatized enough to behave the rest of the cruise.

Doug (who believes that the only suitable place for teenage boys is military school) : D
Old February 13th, 2002, 06:18 PM
Admiral

I like that
Old February 14th, 2002, 10:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

Doug R - unfortunately, too many parents would NEVER know that's where their kids ended up!! My 8 yr old is going with us next week on the Golden - and if he's unruly - he'll be in MY personal brig. And he WON'T be checking himself out or running around the ship without one of us!! I promise!!
Old February 14th, 2002, 02:39 PM
Admiral

The words of the wise Capt'n Queeg ...

When you have a son, you worry about that boy.

When you have a daughter, you worry about ALL the boys.

G*d is good. We have three sons and only one daughter.

pamda
Old February 16th, 2002, 07:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi. My name is Katie and im a 14 year old. Ive been on two cruises and I always roam around the ship at night. It is great because you have freedom, not like you have at home. I spend the early evening with my family and go to dinner with them and stuff, then after that I hang out with the people that I have met. We dont harass anyone, get in the way, or anything. It just depends on the teen. Some teens are respectful towards other passengers, but some arent. I understand when teens arent respectful, but when they are, there is no reason to complain about them.
Old February 16th, 2002, 09:07 PM
Nanette

Can we just lock these kids up on their own private deck? Lose the key? Slip 'em food through a slot in the door? Maybe tie 'em to chairs or something?

*grinning*
Old February 18th, 2002, 12:13 AM
First Mate

Locking them up sounds like a good idea. My wife and I went on Carnival's Destiny last April. Never again will we go on Carnival. I can't tell you how many times we got ran over by young kids with no parents.
Old February 18th, 2002, 12:19 AM
First Mate

Talk about the perfect place for some child molestor. My wife and I would go dancing at 1:00 am at the disco and have to fight off 10-14 year olds who were dancing nastier than some 21 year olds I've seen at the star palace in Hollywood. There is no way I'd let my daughter rome the disco without adult supervision.
Old February 20th, 2002, 01:46 PM
CHARLENE HEMPLER

Leave it to Rick to start another Gripe about kids! If it isn't the babies getting raked over the coals now it is the Teens. Do you have any children Rick? I can't imagine you a father. gives me goose bumps to vision that one!
Old February 20th, 2002, 03:44 PM
Admiral

Actually, I have two.....grown and doing well...thanks for asking <G>. Also, when they were growing up, we took vacations appropriate to their age. Given your experience in child rearing, I can not for the life of me see how you would think a baby should be on cruise. No prob with teens on ship...I do have probs with parental attitudes like......oh well we are on ship so we wont worry about them and let them roam the ships into the wee hours on the morn. That is not considerate of the other cruisers or safe for the young teens. All I say here is ..if you take your kids.....take responsibility for them. Some dont.
Old February 23rd, 2002, 12:12 AM
Passenger

Sounds to me like someone forgot what it was like for them to be a teenager. Either that or they were "born old" Yes taking your family on board is 100% your responsibility, and the majority of young people do behave.If they don't, I don't blame the young person totally, it is also the parents who raised them that are to blame. Life is too short, try finding something positive to write about for a change, and relax!
Old February 24th, 2002, 06:47 PM
Holly

This is a parent's responsibility. All too often I have seen "modern", 2 job families abondoning these responsibilities after bringing children into the world. Yes, I'm an old foggy. My "kids" are 23 & 26. We cruised 2x w/ them when they were at the most mid-high school (oldest was 15). I ALWAYS knew where they were, what they were doing and with whom, on a cruise, any vaction elsewhere or at home; even when I went back to work full time. today both my "kids" are teachers with some of the highest ratings their schools have ever given. The horror stories they tell of parental non-involvment are blood curdling and bone chilling. Seems after the style they grew up with they have trouble understanding this. The oldest is being sent for her second masters, to be paid by her school district. A singular honor especially since she is still paying the loans from her first at a University of Chicago program that accepted only 9 people nationally. No one remembers anyone else getting this level of a free ride in that district.
Old February 27th, 2002, 09:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

Just back from Golden - our 8 yo was with us AT ALL times, or checked into the kids' zone. Unfortunately, his new found 9 yo buddy didn't have the same requirements. He roamed the ship rather freely. He ocassionally checked in with his parents, but he seemed to have free range on the ship. I constantly heard "You don't think I'm mature and won't let me go by myself". Oh, well. I finally had to tell him that I disapproved of how his friend's parents allowed him to wander freely and that we would not do that. I was disgusted at the pools when I watched 20+ kids in the pool and only 1 or 2 other visible parents watching their kids. I had to yell at one kid one day because he was pushing kids into the pool and trying to drag others in - I saw no parents and finally went right up to him and told him to cut it out or I'd have him removed. If anything happened to the absentee parents' "little angels", regardless of whose fault it was, the missing parents would be the first to sue someone.
Old March 1st, 2002, 12:54 AM
coachsoftball

As a high school health teacher, I would have to agree with those who are placing this blame square on the parents shoulder, and yes, I am a parent (11 and 8).

I see kids every day who have not been taught basic respect, kids whose parents could care less about where they are and who they are with. These kids end up either pregnant or in jail. We have a 14 year old girl this year who is pregnant with a 35 year old man's baby. What parent could allow that?

I am going on my first cruise this summer with some ladies from work, no hubbies or kids. But if I were taking my kids, they would never be allowed to roam by themselves, or play in the pool by themselves. And I am sure that these 4 high school teachers will not hesitate to correct an out of control child.