Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 14th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Admiral

Default To Be Elderly or Not

It seems that the elderly posters I see here are more a part of the "me" generation than the younger cruisers that they critizize for dress and new vacation attitudes. It appears that anyone who has a different idea of how thay want to spend their vacation come under fire from the long time cruisers. Some of the posters here and cruisers on ship seem to adapt the attitude.."this is my ship".."I will set the example for the newer cruisers and if you dont follow my example (dress..pulling chairs out for women..standing when a woman approaches the table, etc..) then you are ruining the cruise "tradition". That is absurd and I hope I never reach whatever age one gets the attitude that just because they are older....then they are right. I do not and will never tell others how to dress or how I think they should spend their vacation. I am sick of seeing the word "tradition" here....lol. Traditions come and go everyday. "tradition" does not mean that something is written in stone for gosh sakes. I judge and treat others by the way they treat me..not their dress, vocabulary or other factors that vary with everyone. Go on a cruise that suits your needs so you don't have to complain about someones dress or mannerisms. Like it or not.....nothing stays the same. You would think when one gets older, they would know that.
Rick
Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2002, 07:30 PM
Admiral

Default Re: To Be Elderly or Not

Talking about elderly, I resemble that remark! However, I am 100% with you. I should not and will not try to tell any other person how to behave or what they should wear. Of course, if my wife tells me what to do, then that is different. Just like Pamda, she is "she who must be obeyed, or else" That's why we are still married after 41 years.
Old February 14th, 2002, 07:39 PM
Admiral

Sorry ,,,

No sale.

I am certainly not "elderly" but I do have standards on how I treat others and have expectations about how they ought to treat me and others..

On our last cruise there were two young 20's type chicks who were drunk on their butts on the pool deck every day. One day, I'd simply had it and told them to take their act elsewhere and the bartender flagged them. They were not pleased. If they'd stayed around, they might have come into contact with my hand.

Other passengers, however, were quite pleased that I stepped up and said what they were thinking.

Since when were good manners not "tradition" ???

Traditons do NOT come and go.

If I could get rid of one it would be the "".
Old February 14th, 2002, 07:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

My simple "words of wisdom" on this subject, is to treat others how you would expect to be treated. Works for me, now if everyone followed that example..................

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old February 14th, 2002, 08:39 PM
Roe-Z

Hey Rick....do not confuse what "me generation" means. The me generation does not care what you think. However, the traditional generation DOES care what you think. Personally, I didn't think there was a traditional generation, but just those that knew what was expected and when. There is a time to let loose and a time to show some class.....if you have to be told what the difference is....then you are the "me generation". Some people forget that it does not matter what your age is to know how to act (dress, speak, etc). I've see some older generation folks that have no sense of "common sense". Yep, that's all it really is. Unfortunately, some people who don't have common sense, fall into the catagory of the me generation. That is their excuse. It's easier than admitting they have no common sense. Either you have it or you don't....Funny thing is..people think I am the type of person who marches to a different tune.....I just know when to play the game..I don't like playing games..but, I do it so naturally..I know when it is expected of me...It really does make for a more interesting person and that is what I am. You say nothing really matters to you, yet you complain about everything. Now it is the elderly.

Keep up your comments...it makes for interesting reading.
Old February 14th, 2002, 09:06 PM
First Mate

Rick you are more open minded than I thought. Your are right, people should do what they want. I like to dress up. That does not mean I should set the standard. Pamda, physical aggression is never the way one should act toward another. If they were that drunk, how do you know they wouldn't kick your but. They are younger and much faster that you. Fighting is unbecoming of a lady. I don't know where you are from, but in NY one never knows whom they are dealing with. If they want to get falling down drunk, You are not their parent and they will get pretty upset at you. Is their behavior right? No but your not going to stop it. Be safe, be carefull!
Old February 14th, 2002, 09:24 PM
Admiral

If you were nice to them, they may have bought you a drink.
Old February 14th, 2002, 10:11 PM
BirdBrain

I'm a first time cruiser set to sail on 3/10 on the Paradise to the Western Carib. These boards, and those on other sites, have been wonderfully helpful and SO entertaining! So now I'm throwing in my opinion before I've even set foot on deck...

Let's not confuse manners with tradition. My face has been red more than once when I've looked at someone dressed in a way I wouldn't, only to find they were gracious, intelligent and just plain fun. When I go on my cruise I want to do all the traditional things, including dress up on formal nights. But lets not judge on dress, but on manner. Rudeness is the same whether you're in Armani or shop at Good Will.

Those who display rudeness reflect only on themselves, not those around them. And while saying something to a rude person about their behavior isn't wrong--and sometimes very tempting--I agree that it can be dangerous in this unpredictable world, especially if an excess of any substance is abused.

The BirdBrain has spoken at last....
Old February 15th, 2002, 01:01 AM
Admiral

Thanks RoeZ.........obviously, I have too much time on my hands..<G>
Rick
Old February 15th, 2002, 01:09 AM
Admiral

Pam, what? Did they do something to you...say something offensive to you? If not, and if I were just indirectly offended by someone like that, I would have found a new place to be.
Old February 15th, 2002, 01:18 AM
Admiral

Thanks Mike, I like to think I am open minded. Even though I don't care about what others do on cruise. Deb and I do like to dress up. That is good advice you gave Pam. I say that from my life experiences......aggression is necessary sometimes......but never solves anything.....only adds a new dimension to the problem.
Rick
Old February 15th, 2002, 01:28 AM
Admiral

Bird Brain, I hope and am sure you will totally enjoy your cruise, and will want to book another right after you get back! We love to cruise. We only started cruising a few years ago but it has become our passion. Griping is my second passion ...lol.
Rick
Old February 15th, 2002, 09:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hey Birdbrain,
I think you are going on your first cruise with a good additude, I'm sure you will really enjoy it, just don't let any little problems get in the way of your good time!

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old February 15th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Admiral

Rick ...

I am probably the least physically agressive person you will ever meet.

Unless, of course, I meet YOU someday. Then my agression will be of the hug variety.

I was sitting at the bar on the Lido Deck with another CruiseMate ... just trying to carry on a ladylike conversation with her.

There were families around and these young "ladies" were using some pretty foul language as well as being loud and obnoxious.

It was, quite simply, inappropriate behavior. I asked them nicely, once, just to move along because I couldn't hear what my friend was saying. Then one of them got all mouthy on me. As in, "Why do you old ladies always have to have YOUR way?: Old ladies? Heck, no.

Never shy, I said, if I'm an old lady, I am old enough to be your mother and if I were your mother I'd spank you. She then lurched up to the bartender and demanded another drink.

The bartender asked them to leave the bar area and said that he would not serve them for the rest of the cruise.

We never saw them in the evenings ... could be due to a major case of passouts.

I appreciate Mike's words of caution. However, the bartender was about 6'5" and I probably could have counted on his assistance if anything did happen. Hey, I may be old but I am quite fleet of foot and, besides, I was relatively sober.

Speaking of fleet of foot, place your side bets now on the pamda v. Kuki 19th hole sprint. This will be run on a golf course somewhere in Hawaii ... wearing spikes.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old February 15th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Admiral

If we ever meet ...I will remind you about the hug .....
Rick
Old February 15th, 2002, 02:23 PM
Dean Renner

Pamda, I believe you acted properly in responding to those young “ladies” behavior. Poor behavior must be challenged – not doing so grants tacit approval to it

As for the possibility of their having had weapons aboard ship, in today’s security environment, that risk is negligible.

It would be an honor cruising with you!

Dean
Old February 15th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Admiral

To take this a step further <G>. I think there are way too many elderly people cruising. Maybe there should be a cut off age.....say 70. Why? Elderly people can be too bossy.....they are slow which holds up lines......they are hard to pass in passageways.....they dress funny....they think they know it all....they clog up the pool area but seldom ever go into the pool....they like old music/dance....they constantly complain and want the "good ole days to come back"...etc. Of course when I am 70, I will ask for the age to be increased <G> Maybe most of the elderly are more suited for nursing homes than a cruise ship. I am not trying to be mean.....but maybe the elderly need to take it easy and not take on the excitement of cruising.
Rick
Old February 15th, 2002, 05:33 PM
Admiral

I thought a cruise ship was a nursing home! Don't tell anyony you wrote that the next time you cruise. You are likely to be assulted with walkers and run over by wheelchairs. By the way, you forgot to mention that old people smell bad.
Old February 15th, 2002, 06:30 PM
Admiral

a walker can be a deadly weapon when in the hands of the elderly! I think a lot of the elderly attend Walker Fu Schools.
Old February 15th, 2002, 08:11 PM
First Mate

I'm was happy to see your post Pamda. It's really sad to hear young women use such language in public. I do respect your energy in putting things right. These women were of low character and thought they were being hip. Fools they were. Why do people think getting total drunk means having more fun. Do these women realize that some guy could abuse or rape them! They would be to drunk to even know what was happening. You get all kinds when cruising.
Old February 15th, 2002, 09:28 PM
roe-z

Rick,

We talked about that once before!
Old February 16th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Admiral

Hey, Rick ...

send me an e-mail. That hug may be closer than you think.

pamda
Old February 16th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Tigger

Rick, My husband and I are 59 and have cruised 5 times since 1988. We're not really seasoned cruisers. I love cruising way too much to let changes bother me. My husband and I always get a cabin with balcony and we spend a lot of time there, we've never cruised for the food, I love sea days, I hate having 2 formal nights (one should be sufficient). So I see change as a good thing. No one can stop it and if some cruisers don't want to experience it, I guess a new Vacation venue is their best bet. We're not your "traditional" type cruisers, if formal nights disappeared I'd be happy. I don't need someone to pull the chair out for me, I don't need someone waiting on me hand and foot, all I want to do is enjoy my cruise, relax, shop and people watch. Life can't get any better than that.
Old February 16th, 2002, 02:54 PM
Admiral

Thats good, you should have the type of cruise you will enjoy. Deb and I do enjoy formal nights and like to dress for it, but I certainly respect the views of those who don't.
Rick
Old February 16th, 2002, 10:02 PM
K. Cameron

Dear Rick,---------------------You're right. Traditions are not written in stone. They assume a certain amount of intelligence which, I'm sad to say, is well lacking in the "me" generation. Toss 'em overboard.
Old February 17th, 2002, 08:59 AM
Admiral

Getting abused does not require drunkeness, or obnoxiousness. And your point would be that if there is an element of danger they should refrain from alcohol? Hell, I could be robbed on board too but that's not stopping me from having a beer!!

Regards,
Thomas
Old February 17th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Admiral

Cruising is different things for different people and what I cruise for is entirely different than what someone else cruises for. I cruise to be waited on hand and foot, see islands and their culture, eat out every meal, and gamble, among other things. The cruise lines, I believe, do a pretty good job of trying to satisfy the customer's wants. The one's still in business do anyway! ! !

Regards, Thomas
Old February 17th, 2002, 11:13 AM
First Mate

Tom, I didn't say one word about being robbed. Yes, someone who is drunk does have a tendency to act different. Some times is harmless but some people get violent. I believe the bartender was only thinking of his tips and just kept serving them. Pamda put an end to it. You can't tell me that cruise lines don't encourge over dinking. On my first cruise on Carnival which was my honeymoon, one of the bar tenders kept pushing drinks on us. Even when we had enough. We got iritated and walked away. He ran after us yelling "No booze, No cruise". May be I should have hit him? The way things are going in the cruise industry, I'm going to travel on HAL with my young boys. I don't want to see drunken idiots making fools of themselves. My original post was for Pamda saftey. They could have hit her for her words. She wasn't in the wrong. Someone had to say something.
Old February 18th, 2002, 10:15 AM
First Mate

ha ha ha ! after having read all those messages no one can expect me to take any of it seriously. Rick you are the best winder upper ive seen for ages. Thanks for the laugh
Old February 18th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Jim

Thanks mate ...I try (laughing). Have a great cruise my friend.
Semper Fidelis
Rick