Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 17th, 2002, 05:18 PM
First Mate

Default shock??

Hi,
Im due to go on my first cruise next month. I got my gladrags ready and yes ive got a tux to wear (I think) and so i thought , im ready to enjoy myself. Then I came on to this section and am now beginning to wonder!! Shall I be the only one dressing up? Is there really so much division about what to wear?, are there so many things to gripe about? I always thought that cruising was the ultimate . Looking at some of these messages Im now going with some trepidation
Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2002, 05:38 PM
Admiral

Default Re: shock??

Jim........you will have a great time. Don't let the gripes here cause you concern. By dressing appropriately for the different nights, you will find yourself in the majority. Some of us just love to gripe about anything <G>. Pay it no mind and enjoy your cruise.....it is a fantastic experience. One that Deb and I look forward to with great anticipation.
Rick
Old February 17th, 2002, 05:39 PM
First Mate

Jim, people still dress up for dinner. Some people choose not to, but you will not be out of place. Never been on a cruise that did not have a good show of dresses, tuxes and dark suits at the formal dinner. Cruising is the best vacation I have ever been on and you will not regret it.
Old February 17th, 2002, 07:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Jim,
Not sure if this helps, but I agree with the other posters, you will be in the majority by dressing up, there are just a few that tend to complain about it for some reason. You will look great in your tux, be sure to get some professional photos taken on the formal night. I wouldn't worry at all about what you plan to wear, you should be fine, just go and relax and enjoy the whole cruising expierence.

Just be sure to post back here when you get back and let us all know what you thought about cruising, OK?

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old February 17th, 2002, 08:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Jim wrote:
>
> Hi,
> Im due to go on my first cruise next month. I got my
> gladrags ready and yes ive got a tux to wear (I think) and so
> i thought , im ready to enjoy myself. Then I came on to this
> section

Jim,
I wouldn't be concerned at all.. u've come across Cruise Gripes. If you check all the other message board folders here you'll find the VAST majority are positive comments.
As with many things, the negative comments stand out more because they are not the norm! That thought alone should give you lots to work forward to.
I haven't gone on the perfect cruise yet... but still WAY better than any other vacation form I've come across.

Regards,
Kuki
Old February 17th, 2002, 08:20 PM
Robocop

Jim, not to worry, you will be dressed in the norm with a tux and nice clothing. There are always a few, very few actually, that complain and flaunt the rules but they are the ones that look strange and are out of step. Besides, like Kuki said, THIS is the gripes board and even though there are some legitimate gripes here, many are just people having fun and blowing off steam.
Jim
Old February 18th, 2002, 02:17 AM
First Mate

Thanks folks I will repack my tux and fly from england a happier man
Old February 18th, 2002, 10:39 AM
Admiral

Jim, Jim, Jim ...

Pack it! Or I will refuse to dance with you.

pamda
Old February 18th, 2002, 01:53 PM
DonnaR

A man in a tux - love to see them! Hope you're on the same ship I am!
Old February 18th, 2002, 02:28 PM
First Mate

Crown Princess 10th march
Old February 18th, 2002, 04:34 PM
Admiral

Jim, you'll have a great time unless you:

1) Smoke- someone will squirt you with a water gun for polluting "their" air.
2) Drink too much- someone will confront you for acting beyond their standards.
3) Don't dress appropriately- others will look down upon you for not meeting their approved dress code.
4) Bring small children- some will scold you for allowing them to act like kids.
5) Dress down after formal dinner- you should stay dressed the entire night for their satisfaction.
6) Save a lounge chair while you eat lunch- there are time limits you know!!!
7) Are elderly and need a walker to get around- the young whippersnappers can't get around you.

You'll have a good time. I've never known the first person who had a bad time on their first cruise. It is an experience you'll enjoy and the posters on this board are mostly experienced cruisers who have the benefit of many trips under their belts so they have the benefit of comparison.

Regards,
Thomas
Old February 19th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Love your comments., I couldn't have said it as well.
Old February 19th, 2002, 02:26 PM
ehogan

Don't worry. You'll have a great time unless you go looking for things to complain about.

I can guarantee you that you will come across some incident or situation that will be annoying to you. That's life and that's vacation - nothing is perfect. A cruise is about as perfect as vacationing ever gets, so try to overlook the few annoyances and focus on all the great things you will encounter.

Bring your tux, my husband is finally buying one after ten cruises and since we have decided cruising is our vacation of choice. (On non-cruise vacations we look at each other and say "well its not a cruise!)

Good Luck!
Old February 20th, 2002, 12:21 PM
First Mate

Jim, on these boards there are too many people sweating the small stuff. You don`t really need a Tux unless you enjoy wearing one. A suit will do fine for formal.

Paul (long time cruiser)
Old February 25th, 2002, 04:07 PM
jp garnier

My experience is that the majority of the folks do dress in accordance with the recomendations and that the gripers about the code are those whos seek to rationalize their refusal to go along. If you feel like tuxing along, do so and enjoy. You will not be alone I assure you. JP
Old February 25th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Admiral

Don't take everything you read in this gripes section seriously.
Even what sounds bad is more often than not just some of us folks having some fun . Enjoy your cruise. There is nothing better.
Just remember , no flip flops on formal night, don't get caught saving a chair, have all your documents filled out , don't jump in front on the buffet line, don't save slot machines, leave your kids in diapers at home, don't ask the captain who is steering the ship.
Seriously. Enjoy, relax, you are going on VACATION.