Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2002, 07:23 PM
donnajo

Default Re: Fed up about potty rules!

My point exactly Cindy. Leave 'em at home and get away from from for a few days!
Old February 21st, 2002, 03:30 PM
Orlana

As a matter of fact I have taken my babies on a cruise with me donnajo. I'm living in reality. No a cruise won't help our future but spending time with your family does. I have NEVER left my kids in the care of anyone else on a cruise, I don't drag them around in the sun, and does it really matter whether they remember it or not? (after all they don't remember the rude looks anti-kid cruisers shoot them if they don't sit straight for dinner) I thought that family time should mean something too. Why should we always leave our kids behind just because they're young? How will they ever learn to behave? Should we just always leaving them behind Rick and at the age of 10 expect them to all of a sudden KNOW how to behave. I agree it's nice to get away sometimes without them, but what about the times when they are with us for vacation.
I'm disgusted that so many people don't like kids on cruises.I will have to reconsider ever taking kids on a cruise again. I don't understand what the difference is from a hotel or anywhere else. I guess they should just stay home until that miracle age?
Old February 21st, 2002, 03:54 PM
Leana P

Shame on you donnajo. On another board The activities they don't have you seemed so family oriented. I guess you just don't like the little tikes of the family.

Author: donnajo (---.chr.adelphia.net)
Date: 02-16-02 06:48

The wet t-shirt contest remark is still making smoke come out of my ears. I'll be nice though.
You definitely need to take a trip to Mexico during spring break or plan a trip to New Orleans during Mardis Gras. That should have all the party atmosphere a mature(?) adult can handle. Cruise ships have targeted families more and more instead of the swinging single crowd so, you will not find this kind of entertainment on board. Thank God!
Old February 21st, 2002, 06:51 PM
Admiral

shame shame shame lol
Old February 21st, 2002, 07:10 PM
Admiral

Default Last Post on This Potty Thing :)

Actually, it's not the small kids on cruise that I dislike to see........it's the parents of the small kids. Because the kids only reflect their parents child rearing ability. I don't want to be part of your training program to teach your kids how to act in public. Actually that lesson begins at home...not in public. I admire parents who control their children in public, because I see very few of them able to do that. Too many parents have the attitude that others should be pleased to be around "my little darlings"....sorry but we raised our kids...now it's our time to enjoy life without kids underfoot except for family visits. So even though the parents of small ones on cruise can't or WON't understand, Deb and I don't want your little one climbing on us, crying during our dinner, sitting close with a soiled nappy on, etc..... Does that mean we dislike kids? Of course not! Some of you need to realize that they are your "little darlings"...not ours . Our kids are grown and guess what???!!!!!! Now it's our time! We were and are good parents BUT kids grow up, leave home and start their own families.....or at least thats how its suppose to be <G>. I think some of the young parents here listen to Dr. Laura too much......lol. So, teach your kids manners, let them experience life....just don't do it on OUR vacation cause we dont want to be part of your training program. NOW I shall speak no more on potty rules!
Rick
Old February 21st, 2002, 08:46 PM
donnajo

Default Re: Last Post on This Potty Thing :)

I DID NOT SAY CHILDREN ----I SAID INFANTS AND TODDLERS

CAN YOU NOT READ?
Old February 22nd, 2002, 10:34 AM
Orlana

Last time I checked infants and toddler were children!( and they are a part of families) donnajo
I TOTALLY agree with you Rick, it's parents that need to get a hold on their children, infants, toddlers etc. I also see too many parents who let their children run rampant ruining other people times.(It's happened to me also) I understand that small children tend to misbehave at the worst times,but during those times I think that parents should pick up the child and leave immediately! Don't sit there trying to calm them down. People do this in movies, restaurants etc. I don't agree that they just should not go on a cruise because they will never learn, but the parents should be mindful to excuse themselves when they do misbehave................because they will.As soon as my kids look like they may start "acting up" in public we remove ourselves. I have had too many a time ruined by others who don't do this.
Old February 22nd, 2002, 10:50 AM
Admiral

Orlana don't let these people change your mind about cruising with kids. We've cruised 3, soon to be 4 times with our boys and it IS worth it and is enjoyable. No, its not like cruising as a couple, but family time is valuable. In reality, the anti kid people are not that visible. Cruise passengers have about the same make up as fellow customers in a mall or supermarket. Most go about their business and don't butt into yours. This board has given me SUCH a "to heck with them" attitude. I'm just hoping that when we cruise in April, I am not looking for "them." We will continue cruising and encourage other families we know to cruise. We have sold a few on the idea already, one family right now is on a Carnival ship with their teenage sons, (those boys happen to make my preschoolers appear grown up.) I bet even with dealing with those two, the parents come back saying it was a lot nicer than the house in Maine they normally rent.
Old February 22nd, 2002, 10:57 AM
Admiral

Donna, a family vacation is a family vacation, no matter where it is. NO family vacation is like going as a couple. Parents know how to deal with their kids at home, so they expect to deal with them on a ship.

At home, I can't go out on deck and look at the water or feel the air on my face. At home, I don't get to travel to a number of beautiful islands. At home, the chance of getting a babysitter and enjoying alone time with my husband is rare. Cruising offers all these things and more. All of us walk off the ship having had a pretty good time, even if there are times that aren't as pleasant, those times would happen at home too, just in nicer scenery on a ship.
Old February 22nd, 2002, 10:59 AM
Admiral

So, what are infants and toddlers if not children? larvae?
Old February 22nd, 2002, 11:00 AM
Admiral

ROFLMAO! Watch what you post elsewhere.
Old February 22nd, 2002, 03:10 PM
Orlana

Thank you Cindy. I felt close to scratching the whole cruise industry as being anti- kids because of a few intolerant individuals.I understand that some people let their kids get out of control but cruise people please don't start shooting us dirty looks the second our kids open their mouths. Give us at least 10 seconds to see how we are going to react before you decide our child has totally ruined your meal because they pooped (Hey, sh..poop happens)!

Seriously, there are people in the geriatric population that have this problem and no hope of growing out of it. Should we be intolerant of them also? OF COURSE NOT!
Old February 22nd, 2002, 03:17 PM
CHARLENE HEMPLER

Orlana, Have no fear.... We Cruisers are not all like that. I have been on many cruises and never had any children bother us at all. We have even gone on a Looney Tunes cruise with many children and we had so much fun. We were in our forties then. Didn't take any children with us. But I wish I could have afforded to when our children were youger. You go and have a great vacation. Just Remember all cruisers are not like some of these Gripes persons... Have a ball!!!
Old February 22nd, 2002, 07:03 PM
Admiral

CHARLENE thought you were fed up with and leaving this board? Glad to see you stayed ......<G>
Old February 25th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Warren

Maybe Celebrity changed their policy because of passengers like me who wrote comments on the comment card at the end of the cruise.

True first hand story:

While sailing Mercury, I was enjoying one of the jacuzzis in plain view of a sign that said (and I'm paraphrasing), "infants still in diapers prohibited." Basically it was saying that if your child wasn't potty trained, they were not allowed to be in the jacuzzi.

Along comes this happy couple (I'd say they were in their late thirties to early forties) with a child not quite 1. The baby couldn't stand without support. She brings the baby right into the jacuzzi and says "Oh!!!! Baby's first jacuzzi!"

You can't get into that particular hot tub without seeing the sign.

She couldn't care less. I complained. I'm sure others did as well over time.

And I'm certain she said "well MY child is an angel and never causes any trouble."

Yeah. Uh Huh....

Warren
Old February 26th, 2002, 11:35 PM
Chase

Warren you need to check out the message board "potty rules for the older crowed" What goes around comes around!
Old February 27th, 2002, 10:03 AM
donnajo

Somehow, I think that everyone has missed the point.
I never said that people with children should not cruise. I said that people with a two or three year old should wait a couple of years til the child is pottytrained and can take full advantage of the kids programs to cruise. I love children and I am not a senior citizen, so the Depends comments are ridiculous to those of us who think that bringing an infant or toddler on a cruise,( OR to Disney World etc. may be inappropriate for the child.)
I think Cindy missed my point and took my comments as ALL children should be excluded from cruising. I never said that and never will. I also did not become abusive to any of the above posters as was done to me. I hope we all just put this to rest and quit being nasty. Thank You for letting me try to defend myself. and to all - Happy Cruising!