Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 18th, 2002, 01:35 AM
First Mate

Default Help/Silversea

My parents Turn 70 this year and want to take all 8 of us kids and our spouses on a vacation. Has anyone sailed on Silverseas?? Also what cruise lines would you recommend?? I've been on Celebrity(loved it) & Carnival(hated it) I'm 33 and am the youngest in my family. So average age is around early 40's.
Sponsored Links
Old February 18th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Help/Silversea

Hi, John ...

Silverseas is ultra-luxury and ultra-expensive. And ships of that level can be ultra-boring depending upon what you like to do.

If I had to pick just one itinerary for a large family of varying ages, I think I'd do an Alaska.

There is so much to see and do ... for every level of energy, interest, etc.

It hasn't been formally announced yet, but there will be a Cruise Mates cruise to Alaska on Infinity this year. I have heard the prices and they are excellent. Also, the Millie class ships are just splendid. You don't want your parents to blow your inheritance completely, do you ???

An off-the-wall choice would be a Star Clipper.

Let us know if we can help more.

pamda -- CM First-Cruisers Editor
Old February 18th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Winner

If your parents are thinking of a Silverseas cruise, why don't you all find current Silverseas brochure(s), which will describe the experience. If any children are in the group, they will probably be bored; there are virtually no planned activities for children.
Old February 18th, 2002, 07:45 PM
First Mate

Pamda,
My family really wants to go to Europe. Any recommendations for the first 2 weeks in September in Eupore?? The price I was able to get on the Silver Whisper was around $1,600.00 per person so I didn't think it was to outrageous. Also no kids on this trip. I'm the baby of the family. 33yrs old.
Old February 18th, 2002, 07:45 PM
First Mate

Pamda,
My family really wants to go to Europe. Any recommendations for the first 2 weeks in September in Eupore?? The price I was able to get on the Silver Whisper was around $1,600.00 per person so I didn't think it was to outrageous. Also no kids on this trip. I'm the baby of the family. 33yrs old.
Old February 18th, 2002, 11:11 PM
Admiral

Dear Baby (at 33) ...

Much as I love cruising, you might want to look at a land cruise.

You really have to look at the itineraries and the distance from ports to the cities you might wish to visit.

For a Euro cruise, I'd look hard at the Baltic. In most ports, you can just walk off the ship and be "there" as opposed to Southern Europe when you spend a lot of time on a bus getting to "there" and not having much time "there."

I am not a travel agent, just a traveller. And some ships may have repositioned by September.

Did the $1,600 price include air ???

How about a week in Spain then a trans-Atlantic? That could be fun. Will Mom and Dad adopt me? With eight kids, who would notice one more ???

pamda
Old February 21st, 2002, 06:27 PM
Captain

Land tours in Europe?Pamda, need help with this idea.
We took a land tour of Ireland, England, and Scottland last summer, and thought it was a "death march", not a vacation. We have a little problem going it on our own over there. They either drive on the wrong side of the road (as in our last destinations) or have their road signs in a language we don't fully understand (the rest of Europe). Since then, we've tried to find European land tours guaranteed to have no 5:30 AM wake-ups, etc. Can't find one! Until we can, us old folks are just going to have to "cruise it".
Old February 22nd, 2002, 01:20 PM
Admiral

Babe:

5:30 AM wake ups? You're not gonna find me there !!!

I was thinking of a self-done land tour rather than the bus thing. I based that suggestion on the relative ages of the travelling party (youngish).

I would never suggest that older folk (of which I am rapidly becoming one ...) do anything like that unless they are very experienced travellers.

I can relate totally to the "death march" concept. You WILL get on the bus NOW. You will get off the bus NOW. THIS is your shopportunity. You may NOT leave the group. Yikes. Preschool revisited.

But, for a lot of people it IS a way to see places that they might not otherwise have gone. And there is a lot of security in being with a group.

I can't think of anywhere in the world (well, maybe a few places) that are worth getting up at 5:30 AM. Coming into Sydney Harbor is one.

Nothin' wrong with cruisin' it.

pamda
Old February 22nd, 2002, 08:03 PM
Sealady

Silversea is an all inclusive line . First class. no loud announcements. The fare usually includes air tips, booze etc. I would not even mention the Infinity in the same breath as the Silversea ships!
Old February 22nd, 2002, 10:32 PM
Captain

I'm sorry, Sealady, but I did not mention the Infinity in the same calss as Silversea. Must have been another post. In fact, we've never been on either of these. But we do greatly appreciate a "first class" cruise over a "mass market" one, as our favorite line is Radisson. And we find that, after all is said, done, and paid, a first class cruise isn't really more expensive than the "
mass market" types due to all that is included that we'd buy extra otherwise. In fact, we intend to take Silversea someday. Have no plans for the Infinity, thank you.
Old February 22nd, 2002, 10:58 PM
Captain

Thanks for your reply. Organized land tours of Europe have many problems, as I said. As to the 5:30 AM wake ups, I will do this gladly under certain circumstances, such as: (1) National defence at stake -- did this many times while in the USAF. (2) Getting paid VERY well for it -- did this several times before I retired, but for good money and benefits., and (3) to protect the life or health of a family member or friend. Absent from this list is a vacation that I have PAID for. And so shall it stay. While I'm a "driver" (a sports car guy), in Europe I feel comfortable driving only in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland. (Those guys drive like I do. Either full throttle or full brake! ) In France and Italy, those guys are crazy!.In Ireland and the UK, those blokes drive on the wrong side, then have the gall to call it the "correct side". So while we'd like to do a land tour of Europe other than the three countries I mentioned that I feel comfortable driving in, we just can't find a way to do it. Wish we could. It has nothing to do with age, as you would see if you were with me when I "wind up" my Honda S2000 on I 40 west of Oklahoma City where there's just me and the road!

But as to what's left, "cruising it", I've really come to believe that you might as well take a "first class line" like Silversea (or my favorite, Radisson), because what you seem to save on a mass market line, they will take away from you for "extras".
Old February 23rd, 2002, 12:13 AM
Admiral

I'm a big fan of Radisson, Babe. You make an excellent point.

I'll wind up my Honda against your Honda any day !!!

pamda, who loves to drive fast and cruise slow.
Old March 1st, 2002, 02:48 PM
Captain

A question for John. We'd like to try Silversea as well, but have never seen prices like $1600 per person for this line. What we've seen is three or four times that for this fine, all inclusive line. Where can I find prices like that on Silversea? If your answer involves info that it would be against this board's rules to post, email me at richhruth@aol.com. Thanks