Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2002, 10:46 PM
Captain

Default No Gripes, now.

Those of you who may have read my previous posts may have noted that I had many gripes. Poeple's gripes tend to be related to their last cuise, or with problems with thier favorite line. Our last cruise ended Feb 9 on the Radisson Paul Gaugin, and we have no gripes at all. No crowds. No lines. No waiting. No bad information. No poor air connections. No bad pre or post cruise situation. Great food. Great service. Nothing to gripe about at all. We've booked more cruises on this line. So Robocop will ask " So what's your gripe?" That would be a good question. All I am trying to say is that even the most chronic "gripers" among us can be happy with a relatively problem free cruise experience. We just wish more lines would offer it more often.
Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2002, 10:59 PM
Admiral

Default Re: No Gripes, now.

Good for you, Babe.
Old February 21st, 2002, 12:56 AM
First Mate

Like they say you get what you pay for. The only complaint I would have on that ship would be ITS PRICE!!!!

Gary the Cruise Guy
Old February 21st, 2002, 01:35 AM
Captain

Hey, cruise guy! Read my email to you on the price issue. Basically, Radisson includes so much that would be extra on so-called "cheaper" lines, that I think Radisson is actually "cheaper" in the long run. Find the right booking (need a good TA) and get free air, up to $600 room credit, and more. Also, get free soft drinks, bottled water, most hard drinks, and most excursions free. And, you'll get a better room on a better ship, with better food and service included.
Old February 21st, 2002, 03:54 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Melanie

What kind of money are we talking about here? ...never sailed Radisson. My only cruise experiences have been with Celebrity.
Old February 21st, 2002, 06:03 PM
Captain

Melanie: Radisson has specials, like all lines do. Our cruise -- 7 days in French Polynesia, was about $2350 per. BUT WAIT, that included air nearly half way around the world, pre and post hotel stays, tips, all excursions either included or covered by room credit, a massage on room credit, All drinks we wanted provided, Gift shop items on room credit, in cabin mini bar including two liters selected liquor and one liter selected wine, and even two visits to the ship.s doctor at no charge. While I'm told that the "special" we booked is booked up for its duration. there is another Radisson special on the Song of Flower for a 7 day Med. cruise --- same deal only not including air --- $1500 per. I understand that this is not too far out of line with Celeb's specials, considering the inclusions and credits you can get on Radisson.

We have not been on Celib., but have heard it's very good; being either at the top of the "standard" class or the bottom of the "luxury" class, depending on who is doing the rating. The Radisson ships are MUCH SMALLER than Celib's, but with more space and crew per guest,no crowding, no "nickel and diming". But Radisson may well lack the quality of evening entertainment and activities you are used to on Celeb. And, for those who don't care to take advantage of Radisson's included or "credited" excursions, refreshments, and other benefits but instead want to "go it on their own" and/or go for the nightlife, Radisson might not be the right choice. But for us it was. With all this included, and no final ship's bill to factor in, we fell it offered real value.
Old February 22nd, 2002, 01:28 AM
First Mate

Babe, got your e-mail, good explanation. However you still payed $4,700 for a 7 day cruise. I would most likely fail to find anything worth complaining about on that cruise also. SOOO! our latest 7 day cruise to Mexico cost us a tad over $2,000 including drinks, tours, off and onboard purchases. My point is, I did not spend even half of what you spent and had only 2 minor complaints. Thats $1,000 per complaint, you should be entitled to 4 1/2 minor complaints or 2 1/4 major complaints. Your entitled so use them.

But in all reality, sounds like you had a great criuise, wish I could have been there, but alas, its out of my budget. Instead of 3 cruises a year I could only do 1. If I go on 3 it would mean I'm entitled to 4 more minor gripes or 2 more major gripes.

Gary The Cruise Guy
Old February 22nd, 2002, 01:54 PM
Captain

Cruise guy: What line and ship were you on? Sounds good.

Back to the "math" on the Radisson PG, here it is, as it was.

Total cost for two, $4700.

Less things inluded not usually included: $600 room credit used, $400 additional customary charges (free) for beverages furnished, $150 customary charge for two doctors visits, $240 for two long complementary excursions for two.$150 for overnight hotel in LA, $2000 (?) air for two from Oklahoma City to Tahiti and back, $150 for resort hotel day room on Tahiti while waiting for late night flight back to LA (probably conservative, if you check holel rates there). $150 for tips.

I get a total of $860 for two when this is reduced to major line customary "cruise only" pricing. Now, that ain't bad.

You are certainly right that the grand total was $4700, and we can't afford to do that regularly, either. And, some cruisers wouldn't want to use all the ship's credits, would want things like large scale entertainment and nightlife that the PG doesn't offer, live near a port so air and before and after hotel is not an issue, wouldn't appreciate the exotic and distant inenerary, and/or wouldn't tend to use as many of the free soft drinks (and mostly free hard drinks). In their case, the math would be different. But for those like us who live in mid America, like many ship's excursions, and drink a lot (mainly Diet Coke and Bottled watter, which can really add up ala carte), we still think this was a heck of a deal!