Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 21st, 2002, 08:51 AM
Mike Mastellar

Default Not filling out documents before boarding.

Most people receive their cruise documents anywhere from 7 to 60 days before they cruise. Take 30 minutes out of you schedule to read the literature that is sent and fill out the forms BEFORE you are in the check-in line. It will make the beginning of your cruise and everyone else's who is line in back of you, much more enjoyable. I know I want to get on the ship ASAP.

Take Care;
Mike
Monday Chat Host and Impatient at Check in.
Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2002, 10:09 AM
Sue & Bill

Default Re: Not filling out documents before boarding.

Good in theory but when you have done everything just right and still you are requested to fill out the same forms, who is at fault? Can't always blame the passengers. Try going in & out of Costa Rica on a cruise. The darn forms seem endless. Some you have already compelted and must be completed again and other forms that seem to 'materialize' out of nowhere. There must be a better way, but with the 'way of the world' today we should just be prepared to stand in line and wait, and wait, and wait......complete the forms and wait, and wait, and wait....Eventually you are on board and enjoying your cruise. Those passengers who waste time at embarkation are probably the same passengers who have to be called at least ten times to finalize their bill on disembarkation. So I truly believe there is a problem with the forms both on the part of the passengers and the cruise lines. Just all IMHO.....
Old February 21st, 2002, 12:46 PM
Warren

I used to gripe about these people too...that is until I was one of them. I booked a cruise fairly close to departure last year and the cruise line held my documents at the pier instead of sending them. Result? I had to fill out the forms in the terminal.

And I bet there was someone griping about me without knowing the entire story.

Warren
Old February 21st, 2002, 04:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Mike,
In addition to your advise, at least with Princess, you can have all your information filled out on-line, sure saves a ton of time during check in. We were able to get the express check-in and it was definately fast, I'm talking less than 3 minutes and we were onboard. Just had to sign for the credit card and fill in some immigration stuff for Nassau that they don't send you in advance.

Happy Cruising

Tuesday Chat Host
Old February 22nd, 2002, 09:00 AM
Admiral

Last cruise was on Princess .We filled everthing out on the web and documents arrived fully completed . I don't understand why ,when they know the cruise is stopping at Princess Cays, they don't give you the Bahamas form in advance. We had no problem with it, but, moments after our arrival there was a huge influx of bus loads of more elderly travelers. They struggled with completion of those forms.
We approached the express line for our deck and got cut off by 3 older ladies. They had barely opened the envelopes with their documents, never mind were they express passengers.(kind of like having someone with six full grocery carts jump in on the 8 items only line). One by one the rep led them through filling out the forms.
After 10 or 15 minutes(still on the first person, I mean to tell you this was painfull to watch) we got called over to another line and were on our way in 2 minutes flat. As we walked away , the rep started with the second lady,who had stood there all that time without even trying to fill anything in. And the third one stood there as well. God Bless them, they were on vacation and I hope they enjoyed themselves. But I did wonder how they had managed to book the trip in the first place and figure out where and when they
were going. This is just an observation of behavior , not a gripe. When on vacation, I try as hard as possible to take "the little things" in stride.
Perhaps Princess should consider having a line for those needing assistance with documents.
Old February 24th, 2002, 08:40 PM
Korinne

Same here Warren....I got my Fiance added on to my already booked cruise and they told me to have him pick up his Docs at the terminal also,due to the fact it was 27 days before depature...too late to mail them they said! No problem,we're just going to be glad to be there,period! hahahaha
Old February 24th, 2002, 08:48 PM
Korinne

Same here Warren....I got my Fiance added on to my already booked cruise and they told me to have him pick up his Docs at the terminal also,due to the fact it was 27 days before depature...too late to mail them they said! No problem,we're just going to be glad to be there,period! hahahaha
Old March 3rd, 2002, 03:50 PM
Natonya

I don't know about the other lines but Princess allows photcopies of the paperwork. We filled out everything online and sent it by mail and had it photcopied. The Bahama Immigration form was sent in as well long before our cruise. That was the only thing we had to fill out again so we gave them the photocopy and got through quickly.

I can appreciate those that got there paperwork the day of boarding but be polite and step aside to fill out the paperwork and let those prepared get on board first.

When my husband and I sailed we went with my sister and her not so bright boyfriend. My husband and I were completly together and ready to go and my sister and her boyfriend didn't have their luggage tags filled out. The boyfriend had rented a car so we drove to the pier. In the car they discovered the luggage tag problem. My husband suggested they pull over before getting in the car line to unload and get them on. Being Mr. cool man he got right in line anyway. My sister was ticked too. They had to take the time to search their luggage for the tags and then find someone with a pen to put their room number on it all the while the line is getting longer because of them. The baggage handlers were not pleased either and tried to hurry them along. My husband and I pretended we didn't know them. I don't like making my unpreparedness someone elses problem. Having your s*#t together is an act of kindness.

Natonya