Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 25th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Admiral

Default Potty Rules for the older crowd

Are there rules about wearing Depends in the hot tub and what cruise lines provide changing services for this age group.?
( not there yet, but closer I think to that situation than to when I was a Toddler).
Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2002, 07:16 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Potty Rules for the older crowd

You are a bad, bad man. As for the rules, it depends.
Old February 25th, 2002, 07:43 PM
Admiral

I think that pretty funny and sad at the same time. The seniors that don't want children on their ships are in diapers themselves! What comes around, goes around. I wonder if HAL has that sevice Bill? As my five year old would say " pu stinky stinky!"
Old February 25th, 2002, 07:48 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Gee Cindy - I sure hope you think this is still as funny when you get older - or when you have relatives who are in that situation. Still, I think seniors who have that problem would not attempt to get into a hot tub, but the little darlings of mommy and daddy's eye do so with the help of their adoring parents, to the absolute horror of others.
Old February 25th, 2002, 08:04 PM
Admiral

Lisa when I get older I will not be so harsh to judge others who enjoy traveling with their kids. I would rather travel with my little darlings than a crusty senior who can't see the simple changes in front of them. That is way it is funny and sad. You wonder about smelling diapers in the dinning room. What about me smelling a drupping depends while I eat. Like I said before, what goes around, comes around. I did change my grandfather when I was a young teen. To see a man I loved so much to be confined to a wheel chair hurt me dearly. Live and let live. Those who judge others will be judged the same.
Old February 25th, 2002, 08:23 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Just so you don't judge me, I am a nurse who works in a nursing home - I take care of those wonderful people every day....what you said and the way you said it offended me to the core - I don't hate kids, in fact I love them, I just wish their parents would realize that there are times when others, for whatever reason, don't want to have to deal with other people's children. For the greatest part, cruisers are very tolerant of others; and we all love to see well behaved children - and their parents who follow the rules by not letting kids in diapers in the hot tubs, etc. Yes, these incidences are rare, but they do happen. And when it does happen, an apology would be nice, not the "well I paid to be on this cruise and I paid for my little darling to be here, so little darling can do what they want, when they want and I don't care what the posted rules and common courtesy are." I am sure your kids are well behaved and you are supervise them vigilantly, but you have to admit there are parents out there who don't and THAT is where the conflicts arise from. Agreed?
Old February 25th, 2002, 08:41 PM
Admiral

Lisa I do not let other people's business become my own. If you want to know I have been trying to get my parents who are seniors themselves to come with us. They are not going to baby sit my kids. My sons don't even know them. I'm in NY and they in Florida. They have canceled three times on us. My mom keeps thinking she is going to sit with two loud boys. She has not seen them in three years. Mikey was eight months when they moved and Tommy was two years. I think they forget what it was like to have kids. They dressed me up when I was young and the whole family went out to a nice place to eat. Why do they think things have changed? I love seniors who are open minded. My sons grandparents can't compare to mine.
Old February 25th, 2002, 10:04 PM
Harvestmoon

For the most part, I don't think any senior would actually go in the hot tubs or pools with "Attends/Depends" on. Could you imagine how embarassing/humiliating this would be for them. Give them some credit: after all, after having children, our bladders get a little weak too!!

Isn't it great that seniors are well enough to travel; after years of hard work and tears, they can finally enjoy themselves.

Just some food for thought.
Old February 26th, 2002, 12:21 AM
Admiral

Default Identity Crisis ????

I want Dr Lauras opinion on this! lol........Mike ? Mike is that you? This sounds very simular to a previous post about parents in Florida........???? Confused in Virginia <G>
Old February 26th, 2002, 08:08 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Identity Crisis ????

Yes Rick, Sorry my wife's name seems to be in the message box every time I post. I forgot to change it.
Old February 26th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Admiral

Ick, Cindy ...

Dripping Depends while you eat? I think not and it's an unfair characterization of people who have to wear sanitary items.

Most active people who have bladder problems take a med such as Detrol for control and back up the meds with an absorbent product.

My mom is 88 and has the usual geriatric issues with bladder control. For the most part, it's just leakage when she laughs or coughs. She is certainly competent to know when it's time to go to the bathroom.

The idea that a senior would just "let go" in a restaurant or anywhere else is, with all respect, an ignorant conception. Ignorance is not a crime, it just means you don't know the whole deal.

I hope this clears up some of your misconceptions.

pamda
Old February 26th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Admiral

Thanks Mike..........I was ready to throw my pain meds away .....
Rick
Old February 26th, 2002, 06:34 PM
First Mate

If I saw anyone, adult or child wearing a diaper in the hot tub, I would have to complain loudly. Not only is this a health hazard to everyone else who uses the hot tub, it is disgusting! It`s the equivalent of sitting in a toilet, have some consideration for your fellow cruisers and stay out if you can`t control your bladder. As far as babies are concerned they have no buisness being in the hot tub at all. I would not hesitate to report anyone doing so!
Old February 26th, 2002, 06:46 PM
Admiral

Ok half of you got it and half of you did not.
To all of you happy cruising . Some of us really NEED a cruise.
Old February 26th, 2002, 08:28 PM
Admiral

Having lost both my parents in the last couple of years, I dearly wish they were here,depends or no depends.For anyone who makes jokes, meant-to-be funny comments- etc re/ older folks. remember--you either die or get old. Which would most choose?
Old February 26th, 2002, 08:56 PM
First Mate

For all who take this serious, get a life. I posted my message in reply to all those seniors who hate to have kids on their ships. Some took it on the raw. Well they complain about our little darling in diapers. I just wanted to remind them what it smells like! The simple logic is that the ships that are on the drawing board today are for a new breed of cruisers. Ice skating, roller blading and rock climbing are not for seniors. I am not trying to hurt anyone, just stating a fact. My kids who have been on three cruises are the future for the lines which make huge profits. Am I wrong?
Old February 26th, 2002, 09:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Mike wrote:
>
The simple logic is that the ships
> that are on the drawing board today are for a new breed of
> cruisers. Ice skating, roller blading and rock climbing are
> not for seniors. I am not trying to hurt anyone, just
> stating a fact. My kids who have been on three cruises are
> the future for the lines which make huge profits. Am I wrong?

There's only one cruise line presently building the ships you talk about Mike.. Royal Caribbean. Great family ships..no question. They are NOT however making huge profits. They're courting a merger with Princess cruise lines because they are cash poor.

There is no question some of the cruise lines are targeting the family audience at the moment. But....
Aside from the "rock climbing" ships there's lots of new ship construction going on targeting other market segments as well.

Regards,
Kuki.. thinks each cruiser should find the cruise line that suits their needs.. rather imposing their needs on ships that dont conform to them
Old February 26th, 2002, 11:19 PM
Admiral

Which would I choose.......hummmmmm well depends...........lol Ron, its human nature to make jokes.........it keeps us sane.
Old February 27th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Admiral

I know I can count on at least one person who "gets it". Whether the others do or not, that Depends.
Old February 27th, 2002, 08:53 AM
donnajo

Funny, I never yet have met a "rock climbing, ice skating", infant!
Old February 27th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Admiral

Pamda,

My husband Mike was the one that made the above posts. I sometimes post on these boards too and my name was on the posts w/out him realizing it.

Thankfully most people with this problem DO things to help themselves. I have known a couple people though that didn't. My husband's elderly aunt for a long time pretended that she didn't have issues with incontinence, and wet my inlaws beds, chairs, car, etc when she came to visit. After the second time of cleaning up after her, my inlaws INSISTED on depends for her if she was to visit. His aunt is one of the nicer members of his family, but even I have to admit she reeks at times. I can only picture what it would be like to have someone in denial like that on a cruise at my table. With babies, parents are keenly aware of when a diaper needs changed, pull the child away, change the diaper and clothes if needed, since lets face it, no diaper is leak proof, and the smell is gone. If an older man or woman has an accident on formal night, and has also experienced a leaky sanitary product, how likely are they to take off their formal attire? They will most likely put on a little extra cologne, esp if their clothes only got a "little" on them and weren't soaked.
No, it wasn't my characterization with the droopy depends, but my husband does have a point that if someone does not have good hygeine habits, the smell is not appetizing. The smell would be most noticed in the dining room being an enclosed area and a situation that you can't gracefully get away, you're stuck with the smell for the meal.

The Real Cindy (which I will sign all MY posts)
Old February 27th, 2002, 10:59 AM
Admiral

Hi, Real Cindy ...

Your point is well-taken. The majority of folks should not be tarred by the same brush as the minority.

Why do people object to young children on cruises? Because of the one or two they've seen acting objectionably. Or, more likely, not being properly taken care of by the parents.

It's a pity when a very few people can create a negative impression on others. But it does happen.

I saw the fun in Mike's post about oldies in Depends hitting the hot tub. I did NOT see any fun in the comment about dripping Depends in the dining room.

Those of us with older parents are very concerned about their last years being lived out in dignity even though some of the things they have to go through are close to humiliating.

And that includes wearing Depends.

Peace, sister.

pamda
Old February 27th, 2002, 07:39 PM
First Mate

I never ment to be serious about the druppy depends statement. Come on! It was all about seniors complaining about childrens diapers. I just used it as a way of getting your attention. Boy did it work.
Old February 27th, 2002, 07:53 PM
Admiral

Mike---I think it is great that you can cruise with your kids.I feel travel is a wonderful education in itself. I'm sure you are correct in them being sources of profit when they grow up---guess what else they will someday be---SENIOR CITIZENS!!!!
(now don't go getting upset)
Old February 28th, 2002, 12:48 AM
First Mate

Ron when I a senior I intend on take my grandkids with me when I cruise. I guess I am old fashioned but my family is the most important part of my life. The Drupping depends was never supposed to be taken serious. Like I said before, My gramps took me everywhere. My parents took themselves out the picture, so my kids don't know them.
Old March 1st, 2002, 02:28 AM
First Mate

Read with interest all the messages. Got the point right away. Humor gets misunderstood very easily.
It did make me think of last year when we sailed the Magic. The little ones were a treasure. All big eyes and full of adventure. Yes there were ones who wouldn`t be my favorites to have over for dinner. But that`s life. What upset us the most was the parents dragging the little guys around the ship at all hours of the night. If someone drug me around when I was that sleepy, I`d make noise too.By the 5th and 6th days some of them were asleep on their feet.
Accidents happen to all of us. So we can`t say that we should act in a certain way. Sure would be uncomfortable with anyone in the pool in depends or huggies. Sure either group is wearing more than that.

hBut they aren`t going to be there forever. It is 7 days. With a ship as big as we sail in today there are alot of things to do. Too much time in the pool or hot tub is going to make you look like old geezers any way.
We leave on the Pride the 28th of September. That`s western route.We will have fun and not get wrapped up in what others are doing. If soggy depends come to the table we will deal with it. If droopy huggies come to the table we will deal with it. The thing is it`s my vacation and no one is going to spoil it. Last year the nuts of 9/11 didn`t keep us off the ship 18 days later, why should we let someone else do what they couldn`t do.
We love the adventure of life.We are not kids or fogeys. I am 56 and my wife is 49. Maybe to close to the middle to worry about such things
Peace out.
Old March 3rd, 2002, 02:48 PM
Admiral

WE are soulmates . Someone else who "get's it". Life is too short to let the little things get you down and should be approached with humor.
Happy Cruising
Bill
Old March 3rd, 2002, 04:52 PM
First Mate

Right on Bill.Cruisers should be mellow. There is no need to be uptight.
To paraphrase"If life gives you limes. Make margaritas"

Peace out, John
Old March 8th, 2002, 07:26 PM
lesley

amen!
I was once single and childless, and said OHMIGOD there are kids here! (wherever that was at the time, movies, dinner, shows etc.) NOW those parents have their revenge, I travel with MY 3 year old and I am 46, my hubbie is 51. sigh.
The difference is, WE know where and when to take her, hot tubs are definite no-no's, healthwise (dangerous high temps) as well as poop wise; as are fine dining rooms etc. Common sense rules. Our little darling can't go everywhere adults can. I mean we are not going to have a nice time if she ruins it for other people either, we will be too embarrassed and guilty so why subject ourself and others? More fun to do the kid friendly stuff with her, and try to get a night out or hot tub time when she's in the kid program.THAT"S why SPAS were invented.
I just hope to GOD they HAVE a good kids program on our Alaska cruise this Sept...Anyone been on the Radiance to Alaska yet?