Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 28th, 2002, 12:02 PM
Admiral

Default People who complain about ships motion

This one really gets me. People who complain that they can feel movement while on a cruise! PLEASE....they are floating on the water.
Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Doug R.

Default Re: People who complain about ships motion

You could give some people a solid gold bar free and they would complain it was too bulky and that the gleam was blinding them.

Doug
Old February 28th, 2002, 03:04 PM
Admiral

Saw a lady one time at lifeboat drill that was crying--said she was scared--hadn't even left port--was still tied to dock!
Read a review by a lady complaining about the motion of the ship--
According to her, she had become sick while still tied to the dock.
Old February 28th, 2002, 04:06 PM
cruz-b4

And watch them walk after they leave the bar.
Old February 28th, 2002, 06:14 PM
Robocop

Ya'll may think these folks are joking but it's true! I too have heard people complain the ship was rocking! Hello? Unbelievable!
Jim
Old February 28th, 2002, 07:31 PM
CharlieEarle

A lady once complained to me about it in an elevator, then asked me what I thought. I told her I loved it - I'd pay extra for it. She stompped off in a huff as if I had!
Old February 28th, 2002, 09:52 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

It always amazes me the some people think that being on a ship should be just like being on land......if they think that, why are they on a cruise? I LOVE the motion of the ship - it rocks me to sleep at night and it makes me feel like I've finally come home!
Old February 28th, 2002, 10:06 PM
First Mate

I recommended a cruise to a friend and his family. The booked one of the fantasy class ships for the western caribean run. When he came back, all he did was complain about the motion of the ship. He hated the cruise while his wife just loved it. Hmmm, I wonder if she meta nice waiter on board? Anyway, how can one not expect the motion of the sea on a ship. What a lamo!
Old March 1st, 2002, 07:49 AM
Marnie

How can people complain about it, it's half the fun. I like seeing people who look wobbly, is it the ship or is it the wine? Now the barstools could provide a little more support. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to fall, but that happens when we're in port too. !!
Old March 1st, 2002, 08:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

One nite on our Golden (2/16) voyage, it was so rocky that they drained the pools - they were sloshing out of their confines and into the bars! We took it all in stride, we couldn't stay in the Princess Theatre because the motion was getting to us. But then we went outside to watch the ship hitting the waves etc. It ruined our planned evening in Skywalkers - could barely even get up the ramp standing up!! lol Our son was disappointed he didn't get to stay up in kids' area until 1 am, but was repeating the rest of the time that he heard a crew member comment that "the ship is drunk". We didn't let it ruin our trip, nor did we complain - we were on a SHIP for goodness sake. My only concern/question was 'why were the elevators making so much more noise?' - maybe it was because they were trying to go straight, but straight was not straight. We were rocked to sleep by the motion of the ocean.
Old March 1st, 2002, 12:54 PM
Admiral

We were on a trans-Atlantic cruise on Vision where the seas got to 55 feet and the wind was 85mph. Not sure, but I thibnk the ship moved. Loved that cruise!!!!
Old March 2nd, 2002, 09:46 AM
Texas

When I was on VOS we went through a slight storm one night and we were at the ice skating. It was amazing how the skaters could still jump and land their jumps. I agree, I was excited to see the ship rocking. Actually, I didn't see it rocking but when you got up to walk you could tell. It was weird but then when you started people watching it was too funny to see everyone's facial expressions when they realized the ship was moving and they didn't have control. Boy, what I would do right now to have that feeling.
Old March 2nd, 2002, 04:37 PM
susancruzs

I love the motion of the ocean! On a transatlantic ss Norway, we were trying to stay away from a hurricane, the ocean was moving, huge swells, and the Norway rolled pretty good. People were mad about the rough seas, number of days to get to England! Hello, you booked a crossing to England in Sept., it's risky and not a two day trip!!! I loved that crossing and I'd go in September again! Sue
Old March 4th, 2002, 03:09 PM
dittohead

I think that's the main problem with "motion sickness". A small percentage actually get it, but the majority of people get sick from worrying about it, not from the actual motion of the ship. I mean, people get SO worked up about the possibility of getting seasick that it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Today's ships' stabilizers supposedly eliminate a significant portion of a ship's roll. But my bet is that people's heads get in the way far more than the movement of the ship does.
Old March 4th, 2002, 03:12 PM
dittohead

I think you hit the nail on the head - for probably a good number of cruisers the motion at sea is one of the pleasures of a cruise! Yeah, the destinations can be nice, but I could go on a weeklong cruise and never leave the ship and be in paradise.

And when the wind gets whipping at night and you feel like you're rolling all over the place, damn, that's fun.
Old March 4th, 2002, 03:14 PM
dittohead

We had one rough night at sea during our weeklong cruise and that was the best night. The sense of motion while lying in bed, while walking on the deck in the dark, while on the balcony, even in the shower the next morning, it was all so perfect. Alas, the other 6 days were as calm as could be.
Old March 4th, 2002, 03:17 PM
dittohead

I just took cough medicine with codeine in it, and I've got that feeling.
Old March 4th, 2002, 09:26 PM
Admiral

Rock ME please!
Old March 5th, 2002, 03:44 PM
Captain

Went through Hurricane Floyd on the Splendour a few years back and it was sort of fun! Like RCI threw in a free amusement park ride! (One of the few things RCI will ever throw in for free.) But in '00 we were on the Crown Dynasty (now defunct) that did the southern Caribbean out of Aruba. Their stabilizers were obviously broken. We were in calm waters, but the ship rolled side to side about 30 degrees, constantly. They could not even fill the pool some days!

I thought the people who complained on the Splendour were funny! I wanted to say "well, you're alive, aren't you?" But on the Dynasty, while I didn't say anything, I think the guests that did had a vaild point.
Old March 6th, 2002, 12:42 AM
Dale

Had no problem with motion on the ship. It was that damn rock solid, still bed when I got home!