Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 2nd, 2002, 07:09 PM
First Mate

Default When your trevel agent is less than honest.

I just finished paying my cruise off. I used 100% cash and just found out the price for my cabin cat. went down $200. I have used this agency three other times and can't believe she would not tell me. She knows I keep an eye on the price when it goes up and down. I am going to call her Monday to see if she will have RCCL will refund me the difference. My question is will that reduce her commision or does she get a flat fee for each booking. I hate to have to find another agency but whats up with trying to screwing a regular customer?
Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2002, 08:04 PM
cruz-b4

Default Re: When your trevel agent is less than honest.

It will reduce the commision and it is a good idea to ask the ta upfront before booking if they are willing to take a cut if the price goes down.If not go somewhere else.
Old March 3rd, 2002, 12:07 AM
Captain

Some cruise lines give a "lowest price guarantee", but only up to a certain number of days before sailing (i.e., 60 days). After that, the lines want to be able to sell off unbooked rooms at very cheap prices to people who live within driving distance to the port, so scarce air transportation is not an issue, without having to reduce prices for the whole ship. You need to find out what your "lowest price guarantee " was, and even if you had one. If you did, insist on compliance. If you did not, it is a lesson for your next cruise. Either you know that the price is excellent, or else you want such a guarantee.
Old March 3rd, 2002, 02:53 PM
Admiral

Our travel agent does not look at it as a single commission. She does look at 8 cruises booked through her, countless referals and a constant stream of income. Last cruise we got $600 back just before sailing. Anything else and you are not getting the service you should be getting.
Old March 3rd, 2002, 09:12 PM
First Mate

Bill, I spoke with a rep. from RCCL and she told me that the price reduction was not only for new bookings and we were able to get the price reduction. When I told her we wanted to use the credit toward a four day cruise on the Monarch of the Seas for Oct., She gladly put the cruise on hold. The agent at RCCL told us to contact our TA and give her the new booking number. Since she owns the booking, She must arange for the credit for the new booking. Our agent might loose a small percent on the $200. reduction, but she will get a four day booking out of us with many more to come. I just hope she is not pissed at me for doing her job!
Old March 3rd, 2002, 11:46 PM
Admiral

OLd gripe...but I see over and over here that cruisers find out when the price goes down vice the TA as it should be. AND of course, I see the same old tired reply from the same people..."If your TA is'nt getting you the best price, find a new TA"....Once you are booked......most TA's forget ya. Research and keep an eye on prices yourself. A cruiser should not have to be a 10 time repeat for the TA to monitor their account.
Rick
Old March 4th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Marnie

As mentioned before, it's a good idea to discuss upfront with the TA what will happen if the price goes down. I went through several TA's before I found one I liked. I finally found one who is very reliable, but even he needs a reminder once in a while. It seems there are a lot of TA's that aren't very good at it. Some specialize certain areas. You might want to search for one who specializes in cruises. My TA doesn't specialize in cruises but is very familiar with Carnival. I didn't know this. When I walked into his office asking about a Carnival cruise, he was so excited. He got me the rate I wanted for a balcony cabin and surprised us with an upgrade to a suite. At first I thought the cabin selections were all luck, but we had 2 side by side suites, that's not luck. I stopped by to see him the day after we got back. He was sitting there talking to the Carnival rep and she knew exactly who we were. The two of them had arranged for the upgrade. I felt like royalty. I know that will never happen again, but they've got me hooked.
Old March 4th, 2002, 12:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

There is a difference in finding a TA who will give you the best price up front, and having them monitor price reductions for you.

Prices this past year have been VERY volatile, sometimes changing every few days.. sometimes up and sometimes down. If you want to be sure, you do have to monitor these rates yourself.

No agent, no matter how good, has the time to check each customers prices daily. If they have the time, they won't be in business long<g>

If you find the price has been reduced, and your TA won't get you the discount if allowed by cruise line restrictions, then for sure it's time to keep shopping for a new TA.

Regards,
Kuki
Old March 4th, 2002, 02:51 PM
galin harvey

Hello Mike,
I am a cruise only agent, and like to know the gripes people have. Yes, all AGENCIES work on commission, but not all agents. That is based on each agencies method of doing business. Each agent SHOULD check pricing adjustments before accepting final payments, and if not at least adjusting the price down, at least upgrade their their clients to a much higher category. Strongly urge your agent to at least get you the upgrades that equal your payment amounts. If they say they can't, ask for your actual reservation number and call the cruise line with your complaint and find a better agent!
Old March 4th, 2002, 04:29 PM
First Mate

Okay im a first timer so how do i find out if the price as gone down ie what sites would i be looking at
Old March 4th, 2002, 09:23 PM
First Mate

My Travel agent did give me the credit today and we booked another RCCL cruise with it. She was not angry at all and to book us on another cruise was in best intrest. I have read a lot of peoples opinions about this ordeal. Many say the TA's job is to make money. Some say it's the customer who comes first. Now as I look back did she really try to keep the diference for profits sake? Is it my job to keep an eye on price reductions? I can answer yes to both questions. I got my deposit on the Monarch of the Sea and she got her new booking. Do I still like her. Yes. She has a lot of guts to pull that one! I do respect her for it. At least I know I'm on form with getting the best buy for my money. We end up paying $2796. for an outside cabin on the Explorer of the Seas for two adults and two young boys for the April 20 sailing.
Old March 5th, 2002, 12:15 PM
galin harvey

check the website for the cruise line you are sailing on and act like you are making a new booking.Jim wrote:
>
> Okay im a first timer so how do i find out if the price as
> gone down ie what sites would i be looking at